Incredible, Thunderbolt, and Bestbuy 'Buy Back' program

Reaction score
Question for those with detailed knowledge on the Bestbuy Buy Back program...

• I dropped my current phone, Droid Incredible, severly cracking the screen and damaging some internals. It's functioning, but poorly, and since dropping it the battery is working for a hour max.
  • I have no insurance on the phone, and have had no luck finding an affordable replacement on craigslist. I need an Incredible because for whatever reason, only HTC Android phones are certified to be used with our work email policy.
  • I am eligible for an upgrade.
  • I could hope for a TB release on the 28th, simply waiting out this storm, but I use the phone for work email and even going a couple days without it would mess me up. Besides, I have no confidence the TB is coming on a Monday.
  • I'm considering 'upgrading' my broken D-Inc to a brand new D-Inc at Bestbuy, which would refresh my contract, and then hoping like hell the TB comes out within the 30 day exchange window (Bestbuy is 30 days for phones) and exchange it.
  • I want to purchase the Buyback program. Obviously when I 'upgrade' to the Incredible, the Buyback program applies to the Incredible, meaning down the road if I used it under 6 months, I'd get 50% retail back from the price of the Incredible. However, what if I exchange the Incredible within the 30 day exchange window for the TB? Does the Buyback program 'switch over' to the TB, meaning if I returned the TB within 6 months, I'd get 50% retail back from it? Or do you have to re-purchase or re-add the Buyback program when you exchange a device? Getting 50% of retail from the TB is significant over the D-Inc...
  • The Bestbuy chat people had NO idea...I'd go into a store and ask but I'm at the office now :)
  • Basically, it would suck royally if I got a new D-Inc by upgrading, exchanged it for the TB in the 30 day window, then went back in 5 months to get the next hottest thing (not likely, but hey, that's what it's there for) and Bestbuy tells me they would only give me half the price of my original phone upgrade purchase (DI), and not the Bolt....
  • Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

shortsxit

Reaction score
You only have 14 days to return the phone. It doesn't matter what Best Buy's policy is if you're using an upgrade to get a discounted phone--Verizon is the one you have the contract with and they're the ones that would have the power to put the upgrade back on your account and return you to your old contract.

You could return the phone on day 1 and you'd only get 50% of the retail value of your phone back. It clearly says months 1-6 are 50%.

btlfan64

Reaction score
disappointed in buyback

I got the buyback program when I bought my Droid X back in January. The Best Buy agent assured me that if I got the buyback I could come in and get the new Thunderbolt when it came out and maybe have to fork out at most $50!! NOT SO!! I went in today spent about 90 minutes in store to find out that I was NOT Verizon upgradable for another 18 months so NO Thunderbolt for me unless of course I wanted to spend an extra $449. Best Buy is listing the retail at $749 whereas Verizon lists it for $599 retail. I went through all the stuff at the customer service counter they gave me a $300 gift card and I proceeded to finish at the phone center only to find out I couldn't get the Thunderbolt. Then to add insult to injury at first Best Buy said they couldn't cancel the buyback until I got nasty and got a manager involved they were going to keep my Droid X. I called Verizon but they said there was nothing they could do to waive the upgrade time and I'm now stuck on 3g for another 18 months unless I want to spend a ton of $$$ or get another line at $10 a month and spend the $249 to add the Thunderbolt. BUYER BEWARE ON THE BEST BUY buyback program...Check your plan to see if you can "upgrade" to the phone!!!!! If you can't don't waste your $$...At the very least the agents are misinformed and at worst they are completely deceptive!

moosez3

Reaction score
I got the buyback program when I bought my Droid X back in January. The Best Buy agent assured me that if I got the buyback I could come in and get the new Thunderbolt when it came out and maybe have to fork out at most $50!! NOT SO!! I went in today spent about 90 minutes in store to find out that I was NOT Verizon upgradable for another 18 months so NO Thunderbolt for me unless of course I wanted to spend an extra $449. Best Buy is listing the retail at $749 whereas Verizon lists it for $599 retail. I went through all the stuff at the customer service counter they gave me a $300 gift card and I proceeded to finish at the phone center only to find out I couldn't get the Thunderbolt. Then to add insult to injury at first Best Buy said they couldn't cancel the buyback until I got nasty and got a manager involved they were going to keep my Droid X. I called Verizon but they said there was nothing they could do to waive the upgrade time and I'm now stuck on 3g for another 18 months unless I want to spend a ton of $$$ or get another line at $10 a month and spend the $249 to add the Thunderbolt. BUYER BEWARE ON THE BEST BUY buyback program...Check your plan to see if you can "upgrade" to the phone!!!!! If you can't don't waste your $$...At the very least the agents are misinformed and at worst they are completely deceptive!

Im with you F Best Buy they just try to get money from you without thinking about you, or being knowledgable about their products and services. Im glad I used Verizon Directly, or I might have been in a similar boat. I keep getting pleasantly surprised by Verizon. :)