Samsung is Offering a BuyBack Program for Old Phones for Buying a New Galaxy Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-buyback-program.png

If you were planning on nabbing one of Samsung's newest Galaxy phones, and you have an old device, then you will be pleased to know about today's news. They just started a buyback program in which you can trade in your old smartphone and get some cash value for it. The amount varies depending on the device, but can be upwards of $300 dollars. The program works pretty simply. You just have to provide info on the type of phone you are trading in. Then, buy a new Samsung device and send in your old phone. Samsung will send you a check within 30 days.

That seems like a pretty sweet deal, but in all honesty, you may be able to get more bang for your buck to sell your device on eBay, but if you don't want to be bothered with the eBay hassle then this is a no-brainer.

One other side-note, if we are understanding it correctly, it does look like the program can also work retroactively for some purchases since Samsung only requires you to have your receipt available.

Source: S3Forums via Facebook - Samsung Buyback Program

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Why are they offering 10$ more for the 4s than the maxx?? With samsungs hate hate relationship with apple, I would think that they'd pay less for their own tech... :shrugging:

skennelly

Reaction score
Why are they offering 10$ more for the 4s than the maxx?? With samsungs hate hate relationship with apple, I would think that they'd pay less for their own tech... :shrugging:

They're probably trying to get them off the streets :)

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That could be.. :) they could really make apple mad, trade in you iphone and pay 50$ and get a new Samsung device of your choice :)

Apple would be furious!!!! :rofl3:

jerkwad

Reaction score
That could be.. :) they could really make apple mad, trade in you iphone and pay 50$ and get a new Samsung device of your choice :)

Apple would be furious!!!! :rofl3:

all's fair in love and smartphones - seriously though could you imagine the hit that apple would take on something like that? Honestly, I'm surprised they aren't offering MORE than that for the apple products over the motorolas. Samsung has a lot to gain by undercutting Apple and getting as many people OFF of the Apple bandwagon. This is a good move on their part - I hope they are able to market this well and start showing people that there are GOOD alternatives to the iPhone.

Still, at only $200.00 for a Maxx, i don't see the value in doing this program versus selling it on craigslist/ebay. People will pay DOUBLE that for phones w/o a contract...not sure if i am missing something but these deals aren't that amazing for those that already have a good phone.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
$85 for my Bionic, and $140 for the Droid HD.

skennelly

Reaction score
Still, at only $200.00 for a Maxx, i don't see the value in doing this program versus selling it on craigslist/ebay. People will pay DOUBLE that for phones w/o a contract...not sure if i am missing something but these deals aren't that amazing for those that already have a good phone.

Motorola had a similar program when the RAZR came out. It was the same thing only trading in your old Moto device for a new one. They were giving $30 for a DX. You'd have to be foolish to not sell on craigslist or ebay. I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish.

On a sidenote, I can see this being the future of smartphone purchases. Buying directly from the manufacturer and maybe even receiving a subsidy from them if you trade in the brand, i.e. samsung for a samsung. I see the manufacturers trying to create some brand loyalty. Plus it is an easy way for carriers like Verizon to make more money. Your monthly payment is based on paying for your subsidized phone over a 24 month period. If you no longer buy that phone from Verizon, they just get to over charge you.:icon_eek:

acousticshade

Reaction score
It's just like buying cars now. You can choose to sell it yourself or get less for it and trade it in to the dealer.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon offered me $79 for my Rezound.
My question is with so many offering to buy back phones and Gazzelle type companies are also popping up, what are they doing with the phones? What are they extracting that is bringing in enough profit to do this? It can't be donating them to battered women's shelters out of the kindness of their hearts.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Big Ry

Reaction score
I don't understand how Samsung's or other manufacturer's programs would work. Nobody wants to go through the hassle of mailing in a phone. Now the carriers, on the other hand, can make a killing. When I was a salesman for an AT&T retailer, we would donate old phones. I'd routinely ask people upgrading if they wanted to donate their old phone. It's surprising how many people did. And it wasn't just dumb phones, smartphones too. If a salesman offers them money? They'll definitely go for it. It's all about the convenience.

Tapped from my G2

acousticshade

Reaction score
Verizon offered me $79 for my Rezound.
My question is with so many offering to buy back phones and Gazzelle type companies are also popping up, what are they doing with the phones? What are they extracting that is bringing in enough profit to do this? It can't be donating them to battered women's shelters out of the kindness of their hearts.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

They seem to be selling for not much more on eBay and there are a ton for sale, so I would say that was a good deal.

I'm keeping mine. My kids & wife can use it. Heck the camera is still pretty darn good & can still take macro shots better than most current phone cameras.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's just like buying cars now. You can choose to sell it yourself or get less for it and trade it in to the dealer.

Not always. Have to look at the economics, but sometimes they can pay you what you'd get yourself because they can sell it for more certified (especially with cars on a trade-in, because the dealer has more flexibility on the price of trade-in than he does on the new vehicle).

Plus this can also be viewed as a customer retention cost. And if the program were wildly successful, they could jack-up the price of their new phone a bit to offset it.

The 16gig S4 are going for @ $350 on EBAY...but then you kick back 10% to EBAY? It's only been out 8 months, so $300 for a 12-mo old phone might not be a bad deal.