Shopping for car insurance

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looking for the best coverage for the buck. I am gonna put a poll for auto insurance companies you had good experiences with and bad experience.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I work for an insurance company, but they might not be in your state. It's located in about 10 states and growing.

When shopping around, you want to get the Fitch rating of the company. You want to Google good and bad experiences of the company you're looking at. You also have to understand that different factors determine rate. It can vary from county to county. Example, my wife and I pay $800 per year where we live at for 2 cars. If we took that same coverage and moved to downtown Philadelphia, we'd pay about $3,500 per year. Other things taken into consideration by the company is driving record(s), credit score and again territory. You don't want to opt for the cheapest coverages either. Last year, at age 48, I was involved in my first at-fault accident. I'm glad I had 100/300 - that means $100,000 medical to the person I hit, and $300,000 per accident. Thank God only one person was injured fairly badly while the vehicle in front of them just had minor scratches. I have a feeling my insurance company will be paying out the maximum $100,000 to this lady once it is all said and done. You don't want to carry just the minimum because you don't want to get sued on top of it all. And, do not waive Uninsured and Underinsured motorist coverage. If you max out your medical on your policy and the other driver had the state minimum or no insurance at all, you'd be in a real bind.

Hope some of this helped out my friend.

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had USAA auto insurance while on active duty for my four year stint in the Air Force then dropped it when I became a civilian again back in 1976. Bounced around with a few different carriers for the next eight years or so and was not that impressed with any of them. Never had the need to file a claim during that time so I can't compare services. Went back to them in 1985 and have been a loyal customer ever since. They now have my cars (1991 Corvette and 1992 Ford Ranger) and my homeowner's. Not really auto related but I had a home break in 6 years ago and all it took was 3 phone calls (I called them, they returned the call with questions and I called them with answers), a faxed copy of the police report and damage photos and I had a check for the missing items and damages (less deductable) in 4 business days. Not too shabby. A big thumbs up for USAA.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I work for an insurance company, but they might not be in your state. It's located in about 10 states and growing.

When shopping around, you want to get the Fitch rating of the company. You want to Google good and bad experiences of the company you're looking at. You also have to understand that different factors determine rate. It can vary from county to county. Example, my wife and I pay $800 per year where we live at for 2 cars. If we took that same coverage and moved to downtown Philadelphia, we'd pay about $3,500 per year. Other things taken into consideration by the company is driving record(s), credit score and again territory. You don't want to opt for the cheapest coverages either. Last year, at age 48, I was involved in my first at-fault accident. I'm glad I had 100/300 - that means $100,000 medical to the person I hit, and $300,000 per accident. Thank God only one person was injured fairly badly while the vehicle in front of them just had minor scratches. I have a feeling my insurance company will be paying out the maximum $100,000 to this lady once it is all said and done. You don't want to carry just the minimum because you don't want to get sued on top of it all. And, do not waive Uninsured and Underinsured motorist coverage. If you max out your medical on your policy and the other driver had the state minimum or no insurance at all, you'd be in a real bind.

Hope some of this helped out my friend.

Very helpful. Have family that live in West Philadelphia. Delancey st, 52nd streets, market street. So on. Big George (which I believe is no longer there) is 5 mins from my grand mothers house. I went there a lot.