Phone Insurance options?

cloud12077

Reaction score
I lasted 2 years with my OG droid and no insurance, but my nieces and nephews are getting older and stealing my phone, so...

Anyone have suggestions with any phone insurance companies? Verizon's $7/month and $90 deductible is a little much. Just looking for alternate options that may be cheaper with full coverage.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The more you pay monthly, the less your deductible.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
The more you pay monthly, the less your deductible.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Well if I can find some with a lower monthly then I don't mind the higher deductible. I just want to be safe. I mean a 2 year old can't always be trusted, lol.

GenieAngel

Reaction score
I would check into Best Buy's insurance plan. For the iphone I remember that there was either no deductible or a lower one or cheaper monthly fee and the only negative difference is it didn't include losing the phone (if I remember correctly)

I'm thinking of dropping my verizon insurance and getting best buy's instead.

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
I would check into Best Buy's insurance plan. For the iphone I remember that there was either no deductible or a lower one or cheaper monthly fee and the only negative difference is it didn't include losing the phone (if I remember correctly)

I'm thinking of dropping my verizon insurance and getting best buy's instead.

I can't seem to find the information on their website. Do you happen to have a link to the information?

Yesterday I purchased through Ensquared. It was $100 for 2 years and has a $75 deductible. It covers anything and everything that happens to the phone, but after the 2 years the insurance just drops off.

So I would like to check into the Best Buy insurance and see if it might be right for me.

magnus

Reaction score
Can you get these other insurance plans (Ensquare or Best buy) even if you didn't but the phone through them?

sb1831

Reaction score
Can you get these other insurance plans (Ensquare or Best buy) even if you didn't but the phone through them?

Buy it on your credit card and then pay off the credit card. A lot of card companies will double your factory warranty of offer you the "oh ****" insurance for a much smaller fee than you'd pay over the duration of your contract w VZW. You can also look at putting it on your home owners insurance.

mikekon

Reaction score
I dropped my verizon insurance and went with best buy's (I bought my phone there too). I had the option of paying $10 a month or $170 one time. I went for the one time payment.

Its called Black Tie and covers all damages, water included, and no deductible. You can also make as many claims as you need to. However, kike others said, it does not cover loss or theft.

I went for this option because for as long as I've had a cell phone, I've lost it one time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

magnus

Reaction score
Buy it on your credit card and then pay off the credit card. A lot of card companies will double your factory warranty of offer you the "oh ****" insurance for a much smaller fee than you'd pay over the duration of your contract w VZW. You can also look at putting it on your home owners insurance.

Good idea about the Credit card Warranty. Thanks!

As far as home owners insurance, don't they at least have a 500$ deductible? (mine has $1000)......so how would that help? Don't understand.

mikekon

Reaction score
You can also look at putting it on your home owners insurance.

That's an option but I would not want to make a claim for a phone and risk increasing my premium or losing my claims free discount.

Last edited:

sb1831

Reaction score
Good idea about the Credit card Warranty. Thanks!

As far as home owners insurance, don't they at least have a 500$ deductible? (mine has $1000)......so how would that help? Don't understand.

We just built, so I had everything put on my home owners insurance. I got something called total loss protection. If anything dies that isnt under a warranty, it's replaced with no deductible. Total policy was paid in advance and on a tiered level. it cost me nothing to add an additional 650 for the galaxy nexus

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score

Yes, I bought the insurance yesterday and I got the phone through work (from my boss)

What credit card do you use? I have American Express through USAA and they don't have that option.

And my renter's insurance does not cover personal equipment. I checked on that last year for my computer and ended up asking about my cell phone. It's a no go for me on that one.

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
I dropped my verizon insurance and went with best buy's (I bought my phone there too). I had the option of paying $10 a month or $170 one time. I went for the one time payment.

Its called Black Tie and covers all damages, water included, and no deductible. You can also make as many claims as you need to. However, kike others said, it does not cover loss or theft.

I went for this option because for as long as I've had a cell phone, I've lost it one time.

Can you buy the blacktie without purchasing from bestbuy.com?

sb1831

Reaction score
Yes, I bought the insurance yesterday and I got the phone through work (from my boss)

What credit card do you use? I have American Express through USAA and they don't have that option.

And my renter's insurance does not cover personal equipment. I checked on that last year for my computer and ended up asking about my cell phone. It's a no go for me on that one.

I think ALL Amex cards offer the extended warranty. i know mine does. Did you call about the extended warranty?

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score