Insurance: Do we need it any more

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I must admit that I not only go with a case and screen protector but I am also big on insuring my device. To me its more of a matter of "just in case". Yes I could go 2 years paying into the system and never need it but who knows. I also heard some valid arguments against the need given we can buy all sorts of cases and screen protectors; that and the fact some companies will send you a refurb so what is the point.

I dont know just I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I want to hear your good/bad stories about insurance. Did it help you, was it worthless, who provides the best insurance for the buck, etc. With the price of phones going up and the fact we each owned several high end smart phones over the years, I am sure we can learn from each others' experiences.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I do it cause :censored: has happened and I got screwed over when it has happened.

I've been lucky since, but I've had insurance so... better safe then sorry.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I never did for any of my devices. I take very good care of my devices and am aware of where it is at all times.

Insurance is for accidents and accidents happen when they happen. IF something ever happens to my phone or any other device I'll take it as a lesson learned...an expensive lesson...

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Best Buy's insurance seems to be pretty good. $10 a month with no deductible and unlimited claims (if I'm not mistaken). I certainly don't have insurance on my OG at all anymore though.

shrop21

Reaction score
I have verizons insurance on my og and when the back button stopped working (ever tried using android w/o a back button? its hard :blink: lol) they replaced it at no cost and got a new phone in less than 48 hrs. It was worth it for me.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never did for any of my devices. I take very good care of my devices and am aware of where it is at all times.

Insurance is for accidents and accidents happen when they happen. IF something ever happens to my phone or any other device I'll take it as a lesson learned...an expensive lesson...

Yeah, I cracked my D1 by accident and didn't have insurance. I tried to fix it myself but didn't work out. Now I have insurance on my bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

gatewayad

Reaction score

I agree, never have had but with the TBolt i now have i did buy the $1.99 a month extended warranty thru VZW (covers it for the full 2 years to cover any hardware issues or problems, it does not cover accidents but i am pretty careful also

johnnycool001

Reaction score
I have always had the insurance,I was on Nextel, before my last phone with them, was repaired 3 times in the two years I had it, all for hardware fails. My wife picking hers up from a holder on the dash dropped it in a open cup of milk she had in the cup holder. Her OG was giving issues and was replaced under the included one year for free. However they replaced it with a refurb, after 3 refurbs, each with it's own issue I broke down and paid retail for a D3. So things can happen, but on the flip side $6 a month for two years, =$144 plus another $100 for the ductibul if you need it $244 and you get a refurb, so you really don't win either way.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah, I cracked my D1 by accident and didn't have insurance. I tried to fix it myself but didn't work out. Now I have insurance on my bionic.

hehe looks like you had to learn the hard way. Knowing you have insurance are you any less careful with it? I know it's subjective, but just wondering.

I agree, never have had but with the TBolt i now have i did buy the $1.99 a month extended warranty thru VZW (covers it for the full 2 years to cover any hardware issues or problems, it does not cover accidents but i am pretty careful also

Wasn't aware Verizon had extended warranty, then again when the salesman tries to sell me insurance I kinda tune out and just automatically say no. Might consider this, but for now I see no sense in spending another $2/mo for just extended warranty...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I always insure my devices, all of the smart phones on the plan anyway. And I can tell you I baby them, case, screen protector, and just in general are cautious when handling them but I still have insurance because you just never know. One drop at the wrong angle and the darn thing could shatter and I would be furious. And I have never had problems getting replacements when needed. One time I had someone do the whole factory reset thing and when it did not work BAM!, replacement on the way. To me the extra $ is worth it.

This pretty much sums it up for me:
I dont know just I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
hehe looks like you had to learn the hard way. Knowing you have insurance are you any less careful with it? I know it's subjective, but just wondering.

I now carry my phone in my pocket with the back facing out and not the front. My d1 shattered when I had the screen facing outwards and bumped into something at work.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I now carry my phone in my pocket with the back facing out and not the front. My d1 shattered when I had the screen facing outwards and bumped into something at work.

After this post I realized I've done the same thing for so many years lol.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Screen protectors and cases wont help if you get caught in a downpour, or accidentally drop it in a puddle. Buying a replacement at full price makes the $5 a month seem really REALLY cheep.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
After this post I realized I've done the same thing for so many years lol.

Too bad it took an accident to happen to change my ways. I never really thought something like that would happen, it just seemed more natural to put my phone in my pocket that way. Now I'm used to putting my phone in my pocket backwards:)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Too bad it took an accident to happen to change my ways. I never really thought something like that would happen, it just seemed more natural to put my phone in my pocket that way. Now I'm used to putting my phone in my pocket backwards:)

Live and learn my friend.

Your post made me realize I've been putting it that way in my pocket for years, regardless of what phone I had. Goes in upside down with the screen facing towards me now that I think about it. When I take it out it's in almost a natural holding position, no need to turn my phone around or anything. Guess I picked up a good habit and forgot about it:D