Seriously Confused!

msuperbauer

Reaction score
I have a BB Storm, I love blackberry.... But the Motorola droid looks SO COOL! I'm due for my upgrade TOMORROW! and might make the switch (OR chicken out and go with the Storm 2).. Here are my concerns.. I am concerned about email push (I have all yahoo accounts) And dont want to "refresh" an icon to get emails!! I am also concerned about the media player, I work for a radio station and use my storm to play ads I've created that are emailed to me (in an MP3 format.. AND lastly, I really like voice dialing with my bluetooth and I read that's not possible with the motorola droid?! So that's it, I need emails, I need a great media player and I like voice dialing.. Are there fixes for these, why else would I love the Droid over the BB Storm 2.... I need to be sold by real situational examples.. Thanks!! :icon_ banana:

bastosero

Reaction score
The BB Storm 2 isn't much of an update from reviews that I've read and watched. Try to look for reviews yourself. Also, the Motorola Droid will offer a whole lot more than what the BB Storm 2 could. The Droid blows the BB Storm 2 clearly out of the water. Ultimately, it is your decision...*cough* DROID! *cough*...so make it wisely. :)

Womp

Reaction score
As someone who was a Blackberry user for over a year, came from a Blackberry Curve and then a Tour to now a Droid? I can never go back.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a BB Storm, I love blackberry.... But the Motorola droid looks SO COOL! I'm due for my upgrade TOMORROW! and might make the switch (OR chicken out and go with the Storm 2).. Here are my concerns.. I am concerned about email push (I have all yahoo accounts) And dont want to "refresh" an icon to get emails!! I am also concerned about the media player, I work for a radio station and use my storm to play ads I've created that are emailed to me (in an MP3 format.. AND lastly, I really like voice dialing with my bluetooth and I read that's not possible with the motorola droid?! So that's it, I need emails, I need a great media player and I like voice dialing.. Are there fixes for these, why else would I love the Droid over the BB Storm 2.... I need to be sold by real situational examples.. Thanks!! :icon_ banana:

I had the Storm 2. There were some hardware issues and on the third try I spotted the Droid. I went with the Droid, never looked back.

The Storm 2 is a huge improvement over the Storm. But it gets smoked by Droid. So my suggestion to you is to get the Droid. You've got 30 days to try it out. If you don't like it, return it for a Storm 2. The Droid isn't for everybody but more Storm people keep it then go back.

joshua117

Reaction score
i remember my storm, no way would i EVER go back. but thats just me.:)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

1. Email - I don't have yahoo accounts, but I do have two pop3 accounts (AT&T and Cox Communication). I use the app "K-9" for emails. They are not pushed, but I have it set to retrieve my emails every 15 minutes and it works flawlessly.

2. K-9 handles attachments well, EXCEPT for mp3s. It gets them as a .dat file - useless. However, you will have to have a gmail account in order to activate the Droid and it hanldes mp3s just fine. To confirm this, because I never get mp3s as email attachments, I sent myself a Janis Joplin song and it played just fine. Forward you emails to Gmail and it is push and will handle your mp3 files.

3. There is an app that will let you do voice dialer with Bluetooth.

There are some good media players. I use MixZing for audio and it works very well.

Good luck on your decision.

gwilde

Reaction score
3 years with Blackberry. Last year with a storm. No way would I switch back. K 9 handles all 5 of my business emails with no problems. the greatest thing is no battery pulls and not having to worry with apps open and running out of memory. only thing I miss is the Ascendo Datavault app. they replied to my email and plan on releasing a droid version in about 3 weeks.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

1. Email - I don't have yahoo accounts, but I do have two pop3 accounts (AT&T and Cox Communication). I use the app "K-9" for emails. They are not pushed, but I have it set to retrieve my emails every 15 minutes and it works flawlessly.

2. K-9 handles attachments well, EXCEPT for mp3s. It gets them as a .dat file - useless. However, you will have to have a gmail account in order to activate the Droid and it hanldes mp3s just fine. To confirm this, because I never get mp3s as email attachments, I sent myself a Janis Joplin song and it played just fine. Forward you emails to Gmail and it is push and will handle your mp3 files.

There are some good media players. I use MixZing for audio and it works very well.

Good luck on your decision.

What is this app for bluetooth? (number 3) My understanding is voice dialing via your headset doesn't work.

However...voice dialing does work well using the Voice Dialer HF app. Add in Button Shortcut and MyLock and you can (without looking at the phone) hit the power button, long press the camera button, and then proceed to voice dial and/or voice open any app you have installed too.

For the original poster...the above might address your bluetooth issues. A fair number of people want voice dialing through their bluetooth headset. The powers that be are aware of this. No promise has been made on a fix though a 3rd party app might solve it too.

On the issue of Mp3 playing....Droid Does.

Not sure about Yahoo email but my Gmail just shows up. If Yahoo doesn't do that you might be able to have Gmail pick it up for you. I do this for my comcast email and it works great. Gmail will let you still respond back using a return address that matches the address the sender sent the email to.

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
I used BB for 6 years....My last was the the storm I went to vzw to upgrade to Storm2 and the guy told me to wait on a device coming out the next morn. now useing BB for as long as i did i was very leary of a different device but i thought ill check it out.... the next morn i stood in line for 2.5hrs and played with the droid for 5 mins and made my decision. What im sayin is go to vzw and play with DROID for 5 mins thats all it take! No comparison!! DROID hands down is a far more useful device!!

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
I was just like you....I was ready to go ahead and get the Storm 2 but I fell in love with the Droid and have had mind since the day it came out...Nov 16 if I'm not mistaken. The Storm 2 is nice and the way they made the buttons seamless with the screen was nice but I still came over the the Droid Nation...and besides...anything that challenges the iPhone is a what I support. Im also and ex Iphone user.

bdbraaten

Reaction score
Yahoo email works on the Droid email clients with one small hickup, it only works when you're connected to Verizon for data. If you use wifi connections you will have to check them webbased through the browser.

I don't have a link right off hand but I can tell you o found it by Googling "yahoo imap"

Just have to remember to not have wifi turned on when you do it, a couple of the instruction sites forget to mention that.

loop4zil

Reaction score

What app is that. Been looking for one and have had no luck

Oh...and to the OP...never used the Storm or storm 2...I just know that my buddy who has a storm2 curses the day that he went with the BB over the Droid when he see what my little baby can do.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As someone who had a blackberry for years for work and avoided it like the plague (used it ONLY to read emails - would usually respond via computer - and the occasional phone call)....Well, based on my experience if you were a crackerberry fiend the Droid WILL put excessive strain on your personal relationships. When the Droid ultimately ruins your marriage, it could be the most expensive purchase you ever made.