Searching--This Is How I Do It

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by hookbill, Apr 7, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Use the search! Use the search! Yeah, you see it all the time and you think, yeah, right, if it worked I would. And then there are plenty of those who don't bother to try.

Well, I'm going to tell you how I successfully search the Forum. I use this for answering questions on how to do things that I know have been discussed before but at my age have a hard time retaining the details.

The secret is I don't use the search here in the forum. I use Google. And this is how I do it.

Let's say I want to get an answer on how to do a 3 way call on the droid. In Goggle I type Conference Call Droid.

When Google comes up almost always within the first 5-10 answers is something from the Droid Forums. And if you look closely it will say "more from Droid Forums." Click on that and you can see every thread that has a post on the subject you are looking for. Works for me all the time.

Give it a try sometime before you post. See if you can't find your answer without opening a thread. I'm not trying to discourage anybody from posting, I'm just sharing something I do that not everybody may know about.
  2. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

Nice work Hook. This thread will be great to reference people to once they've ignored it, not searched for it, and started a new thread asking how best to search/find answers to their questions. ;)
  3. jayb

jayb New Member

Thanks HOOK...........That is what I have to do to find anything in here. :icon_ banana:

I tried the search feature built in to the forum but always have the " not found " reply.
  4. Mateles

Mateles New Member

You can specify the site you want to search at Google using site:

2.1 ota site:droidforums.net

Or Google search is an option when you click search in the forum.
  5. miss chris

miss chris New Member

Thank you!!! This will help so much!
  6. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Yep you can. Sometimes if you're working on too big a phrase that may be an issue. But I've done it that way too. :)
  7. Mojo

Mojo New Member

And something that will help you search Google even better is to put what ever you search for in "" and specify the web site. Like this...

Let me google that for you
  8. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

i think the trick is getting people to actually search... i'm not making excuses, but this is a common problem on all forums, people just don't do it.

having said that, this is a great strategy because the forum search engine has failed me on a few occasions before too, and i have used google to find what i was after.. thanks hook!
  9. Mateles

Mateles New Member

When I put in a feature request for Locale, it forced me to search before I was able to make the new request. It'd be nice if the forum could enforce something like that (at least for new threads).
  10. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

The only thing bad about "searches" is the relativity of the answer you looking for and how it relates to your needs. Alot of times you search and come up with a thousand posts that mean absolutely nothing about what your are searching for and have to spend an hour to figure out how to "forward a text message to groups" for example.

I do use search often and often get not what i am looking for (easily).
  11. J*Bishop

J*Bishop New Member

the way i find things here is using the Advanced search and searching by thread title.
  12. hookbill

If you search the way I describe in my OP I can almost guarantee you will find an answer. I really rely on this search to make me appear half way intelligent.:redface: And it does work.
  13. Mojo

Mojo New Member

See that's the thing about using google though... if used right it can narrow searchs down to a single thread. Check out this example

Let me google that for you

By entering search critera in properly I can narrow my results to one thread, by a single phrase I said in a thread with google.
  14. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

If you can almost guarantee every question you want to ask will be answered by the search function, why would anyone ask any questions at all? I mean I completely understand that so many questions are asked and you can tell they didn't even attempt a search but I have come across situations where I didn't get a definite answer to my question. I'm not saying it has happened often but this is still a forum.
  15. hookbill

Well the answer to that is pretty simple. There are two of them. The first is they don't know how to use the search method that I described in my OP, and the second is that people don't bother to search before they post.
  16. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Well then there should never be any new posts on this forum at all if everything has already been covered. Just my view on things, not that it matters.
  17. Liderc

Liderc New Member

I use search all the time, but 90% of the time it never comes up with what I'm asking for. So maybe there is a legitimate problem with this forums search function.
  18. hookbill

Honestly, did you read from the start of the thread? In my opening post I'm advising not to use the forums search. I gave an alternate way of doing it so you could successfully find what you are searching for.
  19. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

The "forums search" should be more accurate than google search. Thats the problem.

Maybe google search should be put in place of the forums search if the forums search is basically useless.

Not trying to ruffle feathers.....just making a obvious point
  20. Grabraham

Grabraham New Member

Googles search algorithm works much better than vbulliten and that is a fact ... vbullitens search has its uses too though if I wanted to find all posts Hookbill has made that he refers to his secret Miley Cyrus infatuation vs posts that other people have made that mention Hookbill's Miley Cyrus infatuation the vbulliten search is a better tool. The cool thing is google search is integrated into the forums so when you click search at the top you can use the google search without leaving the site :)