Searching--This Is How I Do It

warrior21

Reaction score
If you search the way I describe in my OP I can almost guarantee you will find an answer. I really rely on this search to make me appear half way intelligent.:redface: And it does work.
If you can almost guarantee every question you want to ask will be answered by the search function, why would anyone ask any questions at all? I mean I completely understand that so many questions are asked and you can tell they didn't even attempt a search but I have come across situations where I didn't get a definite answer to my question. I'm not saying it has happened often but this is still a forum.
Well the answer to that is pretty simple. There are two of them. The first is they don't know how to use the search method that I described in my OP, and the second is that people don't bother to search before they post.
Well then there should never be any new posts on this forum at all if everything has already been covered. Just my view on things, not that it matters.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use search all the time, but 90% of the time it never comes up with what I'm asking for. So maybe there is a legitimate problem with this forums search function.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use search all the time, but 90% of the time it never comes up with what I'm asking for. So maybe there is a legitimate problem with this forums search function.

Honestly, did you read from the start of the thread? In my opening post I'm advising not to use the forums search. I gave an alternate way of doing it so you could successfully find what you are searching for.

huskur

Reaction score

Honestly, did you read from the start of the thread? In my opening post I'm advising not to use the forums search. I gave an alternate way of doing it so you could successfully find what you are searching for.

The "forums search" should be more accurate than google search. Thats the problem.

Maybe google search should be put in place of the forums search if the forums search is basically useless.

Not trying to ruffle feathers.....just making a obvious point

Grabraham

Reaction score

The "forums search" should be more accurate than google search. Thats the problem.

Maybe google search should be put in place of the forums search if the forums search is basically useless.

Googles search algorithm works much better than vbulliten and that is a fact ... vbullitens search has its uses too though if I wanted to find all posts Hookbill has made that he refers to his secret Miley Cyrus infatuation vs posts that other people have made that mention Hookbill's Miley Cyrus infatuation the vbulliten search is a better tool. The cool thing is google search is integrated into the forums so when you click search at the top you can use the google search without leaving the site :)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I Google everything anyway, but thanks for the tip. You're right though, nearly all problems people are having have been discussed somewhere else. Normally I search something and this forum is the first result I get back. For this reason alone, I've yet to find a reason to start a topic of my own lol.

huskur

Reaction score

Googles search algorithm works much better than vbulliten and that is a fact ... vbullitens search has its uses too though if I wanted to find all posts Hookbill has made that he refers to his secret Miley Cyrus infatuation vs posts that other people have made that mention Hookbill's Miley Cyrus infatuation the vbulliten search is a better tool. The cool thing is google search is integrated into the forums so when you click search at the top you can use the google search without leaving the site :)

Gotcha.....never knew that. Good learning experience for me. (i am the guy that wants to know WHY things are like they are) Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Search on DF works alright. If you know what key words to search you can usually find your answer.... but half the battle is when a thread is created, appropriate 'tags' need to be added to it so that the DF search will find those threads :)

Google of course.... it's synonymous with 'search'

dylanthecat

Reaction score
How often does Google scan the Droid Forums though? If you search with Google it might not find recently posted items.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How often does Google scan the Droid Forums though? If you search with Google it might not find recently posted items.

I don't know about that. I've seen post by an OP that I was trying to assist appear right after I started my Google search because the search was based after that thread. It seems almost like real time.

I know this can't be possible, but I've seen it a number of times. Googles good.

And I have no secret infatuation for anybody other then my wife. :) Hopefully that comes up in that search too.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I originally found this site by searching "Extended Battery Droid,' so yes, this site will pop up in a general Google search.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Recently I was in a thread where someone was asking about using RSDlite and a mac. I used Google and searched the topic. The thread I was in, with a single post, was 3rd from the top on Google.

I've found searching for numbers or short words doesn't work here.

Search the forums for vlc and you get no results. Using the tactic mentioned earlier gets me the exact thread I was looking for, the petition thread.

Use google.com to search for the following

vlc site:droidforums.net

I second the notion of having a built in Google search bar option, if feasible.

OHbowhunter

Reaction score
Well then there should never be any new posts on this forum at all if everything has already been covered. Just my view on things, not that it matters.
This.

If you dont like asking or answering questions, then why are you even here? Isn't it part of a forum?

Grabraham

Reaction score
Recently I was in a thread where someone was asking about using RSDlite and a mac. I used Google and searched the topic. The thread I was in, with a single post, was 3rd from the top on Google.

I've found searching for numbers or short words doesn't work here.

Search the forums for vlc and you get no results. Using the tactic mentioned earlier gets me the exact thread I was looking for, the petition thread.

Use google.com to search for the following

vlc site:droidforums.net

I second the notion of having a built in Google search bar option, if feasible.

Just making sure you are aware that when you click the search button at the top, that there are 2 boxes one is for the built in search engine and one is a google search that searches within the forums.. Not a 'search bar' but it is only a click away :)