SD card encrypted, cannot retrieve

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by beyondreprieve, May 5, 2012.

1. beyondreprieve

beyondreprieve New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so yeah, this is fun. Ugh. I have tried starting the old phone sans SD card, asks for encryption code, sans SD and SIM, same. It's completely locked up. I've tried all of the soft keys, can't get out of that screen. So I therefore can't retrieve that number you need. Next? I can get the IMEI HEX, if that helps. That because it's the only freaking number imprinted on my old phone outside of model. I may still have the old box, if the numbers on that would be helpful?

2. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member

Ratings:
    +103
    FoxKat, is IMEI the same as MEID? I don't think so. Because that's all I'm showing under Status, unless there's something else I'm missing.

EDIT: Okay, I am totally confused after finding that the number I have down as my MEID HEX is the same as what the sticker on my phone's box is calling IMEI HEX and NOT the same number I get according to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Status>IMEI. I have no idea why that is, but anyway....

I have read here that ESNs (Electronic Serial Numbers) are in two formats: MEID stands for Mobile Equipment ID, and supports up to 56 bits of data for serial number allocation. This is the same length as the popular IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity), and MEID was actually made to be compatible with IMEI. IMEI is used by the GSM phones, which are used by areas outside of the US. The only real difference between IMEI and MEID is that MEID allows for hexadecimal digits, whereas IMEI uses decimal digits only.

So MEID is used for devices that are CDMA, like our Verizon phones, and what beyondreprieve is looking for - but on our phones it will be found by going to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Status>IMEI.

And if she still has the box, is the number you want is the IMEI (HEX or DEC?)?

3. beyondreprieve

Ratings:
    +0
    K. Have the original box. Can give s/w, pop, msn, IMEI, type, fcc id, um pretty much anything you need, I think/hope. :) Thank goodness I save these stupid cell boxes.

4. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,337
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo, and Nexus 6!
    It is the IMEI on the phone...which is contradictory in terms since this is a CDMA phone. :icon_eek: The defining factor is whether the phone has a SIM card or not, and if it does, then it is SUPPOSED to then be a GSM phone - which it's not! How's that for confusing? If you look at the page from Motorola below (Identify your Motorola phone), it asks for an MEID if the phone is CDMA (bottom), but an IMEI if the phone is GSM, but the defining information is whether it has a SIM card or not.

See below:

IMEI or MEID.png

:icon_eek:

Now to confuse matters even further, if you go to the menu you referenced, it says IMEI, and if you flip down the SD/SIM card door and look on it, it also says IMEI HEX and the number is the same. However, if you go to the dialer and type *#06#, it displays MEID and again, it's the same number (HEX), and also displays the Decimal version of it.

:blink:

Any way you slice it, it will be the number displayed on any of those three locations.

5. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +4,337
    Current Phone Model:
    OK, click on my avatar (the picture of Maxwell Smart with the ShoePhone). Then in the next page it will have Send Private Message immediately below it. Send me a message with the IMEI/MEID number and PHONE NUMBER for the original phone, and then separate it and include the same for the new one.

Thanks.

6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,913
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    Way to go FoxxKat. You will be a hero, in pure Maxwell Smart tradition, if you solve this for the op! I am rooting for you and know you won't give up until you succeed! You are awesome and this forum is awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

7. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +4,337
    Current Phone Model:
    As I tell my customers, don't thank me till I've completed my task! :biggrin:

8. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +4,337
    Current Phone Model:
    No, that's not what it means. There is obviously poor execution of the encryption software in these phones as the OP was also getting that message, but has since gotten the message to enter the password as well. Unfortunately the password isn't working at the moment. My suggestion to you...put the card away and buy another one. Some day (perhaps soon) someone will come up with a solution to this and you will be able to retrieve that data. If the card can be read on a PC with an SD Card reader, perhaps it will be a Windows based software package that can decrypt the data.

For now, we're focusing on getting the phone to actually recognize the card as encrypted, ask for the password, and accept and decrypt the data. If the data is still on the card, it can be retrieved with the right encryption algorithm and proper key.

9. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +4,337
    Current Phone Model:
    As mentioned before, you must be sure that you have first set up the lock screen with the same method and password/pin you used originally. Then restart the phone and try the card. If it asks for the password, make sure you use the same one as you did to encrypt it (which is usually the same one as your lock screen).

Whatever the case, MicroSD cards are CHEAP and I would just go out and buy another and put that encrypted card in a safe place. DO NOT FORMAT IT. We WILL eventually find an answer to this and you'll have those life's treasures to enjoy again. I haven't given up, I still have lots of research to do and will exhaust every one available to me.

10. beyondreprieve

Ratings:
    +0
    My computer will read it, but it only shows that they are JPEGs, and will not open any of them. I have hundreds of photos, and about 20 or so videos, none of which will open. I'm gonna cry.

So, at this point FoxKat, do I give up for the moment and do what you suggested, start fresh with a new one?

Also, I tried an SD from a previous phone, a Droid 2 and had the same problem. That card I KNOW I didn't encrypt. It's a smaller storage size, so I don't care to use, but especially since I know I have precious moments on there as well. Perhaps though I can try to decrypt, even though I didn't do that. I'll try all the advice you gave me for the Droid 2 for a hopeful success. Will let you know on that one.

This is infuriating, and a serious flaw on Motorola's part. Because as you stated to "tech support", what happens if the phone fails? Due to that possibility, I will never be using encryption by Motorola again. Naughty programmers!

11. FoxKat

Ratings:
    +4,337
    Current Phone Model:
    Please don't cry. The fact that the PC sees them is great news. What ever you do, don't overwrite or format that card. For now, put it away in a safe place. Necessity is the mother of invention. SOMEBODY out there will find a solution, and it just may be me.

The other card should read on the PC. If it doesn't, it may still be recoverable, but don't try to decrypt a card that wasn't encrypted. It may destroy what's on there. There are plenty of good recovery packages out there and I've had great success recovering photos, videos and other data for myself and friends using them. My favorite is R-Studio.

Go buy a new SD card and start fresh. And I guess I don't have to tell you to steer clear of encryption for now. Also, I am not totally sure this isn't an Android issue rather than a Motorola issue. I'll know more tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

12. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Do we know that the encryption is tied to the card and not the files? In other words, that the people with this problem can't copy the encrypted files to their pc and reformat the card, then at some point in time decrypt them either on their pc or copy them back to the reformatted SD and decrypt them when/if this is figured out?

Search tags for this page

android encrypt sd card

android sd card encryption
decrypt sd card android

encrypt sd card android

encrypted sd card android

how to decrypt sd card on android

how to encrypt sd card android

sd card encryption android

sd card encryption password
what does sd card encryption mean