Scam alert~!

Picasso71

Reaction score
So, just got a phone call from a random number telling me that tower service will be conducted in my area (I'm with verizon). They said i could lose service up to 24 hours, and if so, they will credit my account for a month of verizon service. They then asked for my name, last four digits of my social, and the passcode for my account. I was in the middle of a nap, and dumb enough to give them my name, but quickly snapped out of it when they asked for my social and passcode. Wanted you all to be aware, and wondered if there is anything people can do with my name and phone number. Also, they did not block their phone number, and assuming it was not spoofed, would happily give it out to you guys to do with as you see fit. Any and all comments welcome

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Excellent call out. Some people are extrememly gullible and would give them all of the information that they asked for. I hope they see your post first!

huskur

Reaction score
So, just got a phone call from a random number telling me that tower service will be conducted in my area (I'm with verizon). They said i could lose service up to 24 hours, and if so, they will credit my account for a month of verizon service. They then asked for my name, last four digits of my social, and the passcode for my account. I was in the middle of a nap, and dumb enough to give them my name, but quickly snapped out of it when they asked for my social and passcode. Wanted you all to be aware, and wondered if there is anything people can do with my name and phone number. Also, they did not block their phone number, and assuming it was not spoofed, would happily give it out to you guys to do with as you see fit. Any and all comments welcome

Let me have the number and I will certainly call them..... from my work landline and put some nails into this scam

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also you need to call vzw and alert them... but that's gonna be an all day thing. . But try never the less

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

huskur

Reaction score
605-121-2500
Hopefully it is not fake

"we're sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again"

Tried it twice....... can someone else confirm

One thing I cannot stand..... a SCAM!! I would light these jokers up if it is truly their intentions

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you contacted Verizon OP?

Let them know that someone is impersonating them.

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
Have you contacted Verizon OP?

Let them know that someone is impersonating them.

Yes I have. Gave them the number as well. Doubtful anything will come of it though. I also had them make a note saying I want to be informed of any updates

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes I have. Gave them the number as well. Doubtful anything will come of it though. I also had them make a note saying I want to be informed of any updates
They might take action by sending a mass email, but who knows. Better than nothing I guess.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
They might take action by sending a mass email, but who knows. Better than nothing I guess.

Speaking of email and scams, I've had 2 VZW customers come to my kiosk asking questions about an email that they received with a "bill statement" saying they owe 9~1k or more. The 2nd customer actually showed me the email and the dummies didn't BCC the email addresses, which is the only way I knew it was fake. If I remember correctly, the 1st customer that brought it up to me was a former VZW customer and received this same email.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm getting to a point in my life that I'm not gonna take crap from anyone. If I got a call like this I would make sure their ears bleed before hanging up the phone.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've gotten calls from a random number this week with never a voicemail left. I wonder if these are the same people.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me have the number and I will certainly call them..... from my work landline and put some nails into this scam

Actually I am going to need the phone number, but also all of your Full names, Soc. Security numbers, and mother's maiden names before I can proceed! :biggrin:

(That was a joke.)