Save ebooks

Discussion in 'Droid X FAQ' started by almostsane1, Nov 24, 2010.

1. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    If you put a book in the kindle folder and it force-closes then you have a bad/unrecognized file and need to remove it. You've found this out already, so this is old news, but I've had no problems putting anything from downloaded books to the one I wrote and formatted for the Kindle in that folder and have had zero problems with them. Just figured I'd share my experiences for backup. :)

2. ACollins59

ACollins59 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If this is the case, why does the same book open and read just fine on my PC using the Kindle for PC app?

3. ACollins59

ACollins59 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here's something I just discovered. If I go in to Settings --> Applications, open the Kindle app settings and select Clear Data, then go back in to Kindle and re-register, it performs a sync and sees my book that was copied manually to the Kindle folder on my Droid's SD card. The books I previously downloaded from Amazon with my Droid now show up under Archived Items. I can open the manually downloaded book now and read it without getting the Force Close error message and getting kicked out of the Kindle app.

However, if I go into Archived Items and try to select one of the books I downloaded directly to the Droid previously, it syncs it, puts it on the main screen, then force closes the app. When I try to open Kindle again, same problem. I then deleted the previously-archived book from the kindle folder (under Files) and it works just fine again.

It's like it doesn't want to have a combination of manually copied and downloaded books in the Kindle folder at the same time.

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Is this a book you created yourself or one you downloaded/bought?

5. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For me it is several books I bought from Baen.com. They are DRM free MOBI format originally bought for and read on the first generation Kindle. It's not a big issue since I can go back to the site and download them in other formats compatible with other readers.

I notice that we are all using different phones and probably different OS versions, and that those of us with problems seem to only see them when the app tries to sync with Amazon. Sounds to me like some API called by the Kindle app when syncing fails more gracefully on some software versions than others.

I could easily be wrong, of course. I'm not much of a programer. But this makes more sense to me than ebooks that are only bad some of the time. Especial when I can actually read my books. The app only throws a fit when it's time to close the book or app. You know, right when the app is most likely to try and sync with Amazon.com.

#17 TwerpPoet, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    I ask because I've had zero problems with the app. I wrote a book and formatted it for publishing in the Kindle store, from the ground up, and side-loaded it on my phone and the Kindle application for the PC. No problems with either, including with syncing it I don't know how many times.

If you can download any of the books again in e-pub format then I know you can use the Nook app, the Borders app, and I believe the Aldiko app as well to do your reading.

7. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never done that. What format do the books come out in, and do they show up in your Amazon digital library?

I've already downloaded most my Baen books in ePub. I haven't put them on the phone; except for testing. I do very little reading on it, though I have both the Kindle and Nook apps and a couple of books loaded on each. This is more in the nature of habit, against the off chance that I get stuck somewhere and feel like reading. I prefer a bigger device or paper for serious reading.

When the question came up it peaked my interest so I experimented. Unfortunately I didn't experiment far enough to catch the problems before I posted my first reply.

8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Try reading on a Droid 1 screen. :)

Actually quite legible, but annoying at the number of times you have to turn the page.

I used Calibre, as sweaterjunkie has already suggested. There were some tweaks I had to manage, but once I got it all done it came out beautifully. There's a Kindle previewer program you can download to show you what it looks like on various platforms, too, because what looks GREAT on a PC screen and a 6" Kindle screen might be impossible to read on an iPhone's screen.

9. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I read my first ebooks on a Palm PDA, so I can sympathize with the screen size, and the resolution was, um, adequate.

The preview is a good idea. I occasionally read poetry, and it rarely looks good on a small screen.

I occasionally think about writing a book, but the reality is I'm too lazy. Having ideas is easy. Sustaining and refining them through weeks, months and maybe years is hard work. Then there is the whole actually writing them down part.

Day dreaming is much easier. :)

Anyway, but to the topic, for at least one sentence anyway. I think I'll wait for the next Kindle app update and give it another try. Not because I need it, but just to see what happens.

btw, you never said what format your books ended up as. Can you publish an ebook from the Amazon Kindle store in .mobi format?

10. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Sorry, bad news has been coming in like the tide surge of a hurricane. Been a bit distracted.

My book ended up as an e-pub from the first program I punched it into and then I used Calibre to convert it to .mobi, which is the format the KindleGen tool (which they want you to use on any book you want to upload) outputs at. So, yes, .mobi is what you publish on the Kindle store as. :) Hope that helps.

11. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that does help.

It also jogged my memory about .azw and .mobi being DRM capable versions of palm's .prc file type. So it suddenly makes sense.

Hope the bad news gets better.

12. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Thanks, and I'm glad I jogged the memory. :)

Search tags for this page
.mobi and .prc reader android
adding kindle books to droid x
droid x kindle add books
how do i drop mobi file into my kindle reader on a dtoid raz
how to save ebook on android

how to save ebook on phone

how to save ebooks on android

saving ebooks on android
where are my kindle books stored on my android

where to save ebooks on android