Save ebooks

Discussion in 'Droid X FAQ' started by almostsane1, Nov 24, 2010.

1. ACollins59

ACollins59 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (Assuming this question was meant for both TwerpPoet and me)

For me, it was a free book I downloaded from another site to my PC. It was supposedly in a format to be used with Mobi Pocket Reader, but my Kindle for PC app was able to open and read it without any conversion (.prc format).

#25 ACollins59, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    IIRC, Mobi Pocket Creator outputs in .prc format if you're not encrypting it. Makes me wonder if it's actually in .mobi format, because I'd imagine they'd have the Android app limited to .mobi only.

3. ACollins59

ACollins59 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, you're thinking that even though the file has a .prc extension, it is really in .mobi format? Could this be why it doesn't "get along" with other books on my Droid, but is fine by itself?

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Actually the opposite. I'm thinking that because it doesn't have a .mobi or .azw file extension it won't work. Even the free, non DRM-d books you can download from the Kindle store are .azw. Gutenburg hedges their bets and puts it in .mobi for compatibility.

I'm thinking the Android app is more limited in formats than the PC application. Just theory based on my experiences and what I've observed of the programs' behaviors. Since the Kindle itself can read .txt files, why not stick a .txt file into the folder and see if the Android app can read it. If not, we have our answer. If so, then we have a piece of the puzzle, at least. :)

5. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    National Novel Writing Month in November. (NaNoWriMo). One month to write a 50k novel. Okay so November is over, but plan for next year.
    It's fun. Although this year I had to move and find a place and start moving, so I only got 5k in. Oh well, there's next year.
    And the rest of the year day dreaming is much easier.:)

Back on topic.
    I hope something works. I had some .mobi books on my Kindle for PC that worked fine I had to copy them on a flash stick to put them on my Netbook's Kindle for PC2, but could not copy them to my Droid1 Kindle app. They were free ones I got off the internet. Some of them off the Gutenburg site, so maybe that's why. I'll have to try some of the suggestions here and see if they work for me. Even with the small screen and constant turning of pages, I love reading on my Droid1, I've read more since I've had it.

6. ACollins59

ACollins59 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I stuck a txt file in the kindle folder on my Droid. It not only can't read it, but it ignores the fact that it is even there (at least it doesn't force close on me). So I guess your hypothesis is correct, furbearingmammal - the Kindle app for Droid is more limited than that of an actual Kindle (or the Kindle for PC app).

Do you suppose I just could rename the book with a .mobi or .azw extension? Or maybe convert it? Then maybe it might get along with my other Kindle books?

Just a thought...

7. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    I'd use Calibre and convert it into .mobi. The process is kind of annoying but it works and works well. :)

@debdroid1a:

I started reading a few books and got a goodly portion through some of them, but the formatting was starting to bug the heck out of me, so I stopped. Of course, how heavy-handed The Red Badge of Courage (I never read it in school, figured what the heck? Free from Gutenburg = win.) didn't help. :D

8. MonKENy

MonKENy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok this is good info, I had DL the kindle app and was trying to load a few books I had acquired and it was doing the same thing. the PC would see the book if I directly opened it but the kindle wouldnt and then would force close. I think its the kindle app just being very picky about what it opens.

on a side note for those of you with the kindle 2 (or 3) what do you guys think? how friendly is it with books not bought from kindle?

Search tags for this page
.mobi and .prc reader android
adding kindle books to droid x
droid x kindle add books
how do i drop mobi file into my kindle reader on a dtoid raz
how to save ebook on android

how to save ebook on phone

how to save ebooks on android

saving ebooks on android
where are my kindle books stored on my android

where to save ebooks on android