1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Samsungs "NEXUS 2" *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Gizmodo received what is reportedly a hands-on exclusive from a tipster of the Samsung Nexus S, the rumored successor to the HTC Google Nexus One. While the review doesn't contain any original pictures or many more details than what we already heard, Gizmodo made a mock-up of what the phone is reported to look like.
    [​IMG]
    Overall, the exclusive that Gizmodo received is pretty lacking in terms of new ideas added to what we were already thinking.
    Below is a collection of the specs and features for the phone that we have seen rumored so far:

• 4" Super AMOLED screen
    • MasterCard PayPass ability
    • Android Gingerbread, stock
    • same 1GHz Hummingbird processor as Samsung Galaxy S
    • front-facing camera
    • differently shaped backing
    • easily rootable and feature GSM support
    • capacitative buttons on the front
    • possibly releasing this year
    Regarding the Gizmodo tipster's comment that the pho/ne's version of Android Gingerbread was "really buggy", Engadget asks: "Is that really what you want to bring to the table as your Gingerbread flagship, Google?"
    Other Sources: Engadget, FCC, Phandroid
    Image from Gizmodo

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: Android and Me is reporting the rumored specs:

The Samsung “Nexus Two” phone will feature:

Stock Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
    1.2 GHz processor (don’t know which model)
    4 inch AMOLED display (don’t know resolution)
    5 megapixel camera with autofocus and HD video capture (don’t know about flash), front-facing camera (don’t know resolution)
    512 MB RAM, 16 GB internal storage
    Support for multiple carriers (radios are unknown)
    All the usuals like WiFi, Bluetooth, 3.5 mm headset jack, etc.
    Outer casing is a mix of metal and plastic materials
  2. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I kinda want this phone :)
  3. FootballBanker

FootballBanker New Member

Wow, I'm getting excited over this phone. I was all set and ready to pull the trigger on the Incredible HD. I now want to see what this has to offer. The 4 inch screen is, I think, the sweet spot for phone screens. BUT, If it is that plastic Galaxy S phone then I will easily pass. I want something that is solid, just like quality electronics should be. Give us something solid like HTC puts out and I will buy! Also, would be nice if it had the optical trackball/mouse like the incredible and the MyTough 4g.
  4. crackedvenom

crackedvenom New Member

hmm this looks like a nice phone but idk. my upgrade is neaxt year. not sure if im waiting for lte or not
  5. Malvado

I personally am not liking this phone lol...why did they have to switch brands...I'm sure htc would of done a MUCH BETTER job.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  6. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I'm hoping there is a version for Verizon as well as just GSM carriers; after all why shouldn't us VZW users get to own a dev phone? We kind of got screwed with the Nexus One, hopefully that doesn't happen again with the Nexus S.
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Also regarding the buggy Gingerbread OS, at this point it's very doubtful that we're seeing final code. It's likely still beta.
  8. sranger

sranger New Member

Gingerbread Buggy???

Actually that makes perfect sense. Froyo is also extremely buggy....

Broked Infrastructure Wifi, Broked AAC+ Streaming, Camera still locks up all of the time.... etc...
  9. FootballBanker

I'm a free agent right now. I'm month to month with Verizon. I'm going to go with the best phone for the best pricing option.
  10. Milton515

Milton515 New Member

I'm with you, it doesn't make any sense for them to switch from HTC who made a beautiful and very stable phone to Samsung who usually make nice slider and candy bar phones.... Don't get me wrong they did a great job on the Galaxy S, but could have been made of solider material

Sent from D1 running metiCkMod v2.2 Complete Galaxy S Theme
  11. SlvrEvoIX

SlvrEvoIX New Member

Please come to verizon , please come to verizon, please come to verizon *crosses fingers*
  12. electric6

electric6 New Member

No offense to samsung fans, but this really doesnt do much for me. Same screen, same memory, same processor, and same plastic feel. I also prefer HTC, but I'm sure this will be a great mid-range handset. Just not enough features/tech in it for me. HTC is still the high-end handset king!
  13. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

Hmmm.....im tempted but i love my physical keyboard
  14. Malvado

Yea I'm used to my droids physical keayboard...not much of a virtual keyboard user and when I do I use swype lol

Sent from my DROID2
  15. FootballBanker

I don't understand how so many people like that cheap plastic feel of the Galaxy S phones. I would get this phone if they upgrade the material.
  16. wmnomore

wmnomore New Member

Not the same processor.
  17. joemustang

joemustang New Member

Why would google accept to go with the plastic instead of metal? Why would they downgraded? However i still may pick up this phone. My D1 feels ancient with all these new phones coming out. This is a nice upgrade for any D1 owner I think. Also i would prefer a flat backside so the phones lays flat on a table or something, it would make txt and such easier then the phone wobbling around.
  18. Malvado

Wait, most ppl text with their phones in their hands not on a flat surface lol...well at least I hold it in my hands :)...but we also have to wait and see if VERIZON gets it on their network

Sent from my DROID2
  19. rahilkalim

rahilkalim New Member

Google most likely chose to change probably because Samsung supports more Android products. Samsung is one of the leading companies for the android tablet launch, will develop TVs with GoogleTV, and will most likely develop digital cameras running android (Hoping).

Makes sense to give an exclusive perk to Samsung to develop a Google phone.

On another note, I'm sure Google has certain quality requirements that this phone must meet. Samsung does have the ability to produce a quality product.
  20. hollowbox

hollowbox New Member

dissapointed in the rumored specs and just overall. With the original nexus one being the king of the hill at the time it came out, pushing the technology forward and making everyone else step their game up, I just assumed that a a nexus two would do the same. I really would have preferred a huge step forward in processor and features as well as an original design.....not just a glorified galaxy s. Quite honestly I have played with every new phone that has come out and not one of them seems to be a significant upgrade to my original droid....or at least enough of an upgrade for me to actually want to spend money...... I was hoping that this would be the one. Ill just hold out till next holiday season and get the latest and greatest of the LTE phones.
Search tags for this page

samsungs nexus