Samsung sued for lack of updates

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's our online habits. My dad had coin miner malware installed on his phone that was overheating his phone because he clicked on app thought was going to remove a virus.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
It's our online habits. My dad had coin miner malware installed on his phone that was overheating his phone because he clicked on app thought was going to remove a virus.

as I tell users in the computer help forums, in the end, it is you the user who is responsible. It is that mouse click that will get you in trouble because by clicking, you are allowing it to bypass your security. the same goes with smartphones. so we are in agreement here.

as far as that coin miner malware, we are going to see more of that.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As the "family IT guy" I tell them all to not click any pop-up or message that you didn't intentionally cause. If you don't know....call me before clicking. Some times it has saved a lot of heartache, and sometimes it was too late...FDR, re-image from a good image, re-load software, etc. Damn hackers and spammers.

Edit: Either my keyboard has gone crazy tonight or I have just completely forgotten how to type a post from a phone?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I just don't understand this premise.... They aren't required to update the phones at all..... Ford and GM don't issue free updates when they create a better more efficient engine.... These phone providers do this as a courtesy.... If we start pushing and getting greedy or feeling entitled they are going to stop them altogether.. I am thankful for what I get out of my devices.

The cure is to charge a fee for an update. Listen to the entitled people pitch a fit, then make them free again. All the spoiled people thus will be happy again. Nothing like putting a monetary value on a service to let people see the value of that service.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
The cure is to charge a fee for an update. Listen to the entitled people pitch a fit, then make them free again. All the spoiled people thus will be happy again. Nothing like putting a monetary value on a service to let people see the value of that service.
The issue with that from a corporate view is it will turn into a PR nightmare... On top of that I feel more so it' the carriers in recent years that have delayed timely updates. I think a better solution is for Samsung or one of the other larger companies to step up like Apple and say they will DIRECTLY push updates to their devices.

I'm sure that Samsung and others already charge us I fee for continued support. It becomes part of their over head costs which is factored into device costs. I'm not saying we are owed them due to this but Samsung isn't losing money by continuing support for our devices.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are they required to update phones, no. But if you are going to lock down the phone then update it or allow users to be able to get updates from a dev.

But I'll say this, if they want to price their phones like Apple then they can update their phones like Apple. People are asking for support and to not be dropped off at the door step after they purchase their phones.

This and Touchwiz is why I can not own a Samsung phone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm at a point I don't expect anything from anyone or anything. I appreciate what I do have and get.

I feel Samsung does a fair enough job keeping devices up to date. My gripe is when the carriers get ahold and add to it... On my last FDR AT&T had added 5 games in total... 2 of which actually downloaded and installed 30 hours later without warning or permission.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
The game downloads used to be allowed by a system app called DT Ignite... however that's not the case now...

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
you really have to watch what you install these days because you never know what may install with it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Our past few phones we skipped carrier and bought unlocked phones. No bloatware and very timely updates. The carrier apps that we wanted, we installed from play store.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Our past few phones we skipped carrier and bought unlocked phones. No bloatware and very timely updates. The carrier apps that we wanted, we installed from play store.
I've been curious how this works.... I've always worried about service and carrier specific features like advanced messaging.....