Samsung sued for lack of updates

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Look like Samsung is being sued in a Dutch court for the lack of updates. Surprised it had not happened here in the states yet. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Back in 2016, we told you how a Dutch consumer advocacy group called Consumentenbond sued Samsung due to the company’s alleged neglect when it comes to issuing software updates to its handsets. Well, it only took two years, but today the Dutch court will start the hearing process in the case, putting Samsung under the gun to defend its update practices.

Samsung taken to court over its lack of Android updates

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just don't understand this premise.... They aren't required to update the phones at all..... Ford and GM don't issue free updates when they create a better more efficient engine.... These phone providers do this as a courtesy.... If we start pushing and getting greedy or feeling entitled they are going to stop them altogether.. I am thankful for what I get out of my devices.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
security updates are necessary otherwise you would be on here griping and complaining that your phone is full of malware :)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most malware is installed by users either by visiting questionable sites or using fishy apps. You can use 5 year old phone and not have any malware on it and vise versa.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My work phone hasn't seen an update or security patch in over 4 years and has no malware whatsoever. Use the official Play Store and be picky with your apps and all will be fine. I'm not saying that these monthly security patches are not important, they are. But the importance is overblown by many users in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
My work phone hasn't seen an update or security patch in over 4 years and has no malware whatsoever. Use the official Play Store and be picky with your apps and all will be fine. I'm not saying that these monthly security patches are not important, they are. But the importance is overblown by many users in my opinion.

personally I am not worry about them. I don't have any type of protection app on my phone but I do think it is important to make sure the phone is up-to-date with the latest security patches. even the play store has had issues in the past.

as far a work phone not getting a security update in four years. seems to me there would be a liability issue if you connect to your home network or wire connect to computer and something from the phone caused issues on your network and home computers.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The only thing "touching" our corporate network is the Touchdown mail app and Mobile Iron Security. Corporate IT can remotely wipe the phone at any time if they feel there is a threat.

I agree, security patches are good, Google develops them for a reason. But you can be on the most recent security patch and download malware by being foolish....or never download malware by practicing good sense on a very old phone. There is user responsibility involved and I think many Android users have a false sense of security because they have "recent security patch" dates.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
forgot to mention, is it overblown because they are not needed or is it overblown because the threat was minimized because of the updates :) could be a catch-22

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Like I said above, maybe because many users have a sense of "I have to have it now...and have the most current..." And then are lulled into a false sense of security that they can do anything they want with their phone and never be hacked or infected. Use the official Play Store, be aware of your physical surroundings and those that look suspicious and practice smart browsing habits and all should be fine no matter what security patch you have.

Last edited:
OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I tend to agree, in the end it is the users responsibility to stay safe. but securty patches sure does help :)

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Security patches only patch backdoor vulnerability. 99% of all Malware is like said above from clicking on something that shouldn't be or installing an app from an unauthorized site.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Security patches only patch backdoor vulnerability. 99% of all Malware is like said above from clicking on something that shouldn't be or installing an app from an unauthorized site.

but you gotta remember some of those backdoor vulnerabilities will allow some malware when clicking on the wrong link. that is how some of them work.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
but you gotta remember some of those backdoor vulnerabilities will allow some malware when clicking on the wrong link. that is how some of them work.
Very true but in all my years with smartphones and countless devices I've never had a virus or Malware issue...

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Very true but in all my years with smartphones and countless devices I've never had a virus or Malware issue...

neither have I but could it be because of some of the security updates or our own online habits :) or a combination of both.

remember y2k. after the year started there were all those complaints about getting scammed, how there was never really an issue because nothing really happened. there were a few issues but not the Catastrophe that was being predicted. Most have forgotten the catastrophe did not happened because of all the preparation in the years before. In a lot of way, the same thing is happening with the security updates. Users are being protected in the background where it is not noticed.