Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Might Have UHD 3840x2160 Display, and Dual-Edge Version with 762ppi

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-display-slide-1.jpg

It looks like the first trickle of Samsung Galaxy Note 5 rumors are dripping on to our desktops. The intel we have is that Samsung might be developing a display for it that will have ridiculous resolution and pixels per inch (ppi). The first rumor hints at an Ultra HD display with a resolution of 3840x2160. This UHD display could be made up of new pixel pattern call "diamond pixel." This is "a fancy way to say a non-standard pixel matrix arrangement, that is closer to PenTile, than the standard RGB stripe matrix."

That's not all Samsung has in store for Galaxy Note fans. Supposedly, the Galaxy Note 5 will include a dual-edge display version just like the Galaxy S6 Edge. Of course, the Note 5 will be significantly larger and will have a corresponding ppi to match the high resolution shown above. The rumor source relayed that the Galaxy Note 5 flat display will be 5.89 inches and have a ppi of 748, while the dual-edge display version will top out at 5.78 inches and include a ppi of 762.

We will keep an eye out for any additional intel which corroborates these rumors.

For further discussion, please hit up our dedicated Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Rumor section here: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Have we reached a point yet where "super ultra extraordinary out of this world impossible to discern with the human eye extra double stuff super duper high definition" is overkill and not worth the hit in battery life? Samsung thinks not and is determined to convince the world that we need 17,642ppi on a 6" device.
Sammy, stop beating around the bush and give me my holographic display already!

S5 tap'n

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
SUEootWItDwtHEEDSSDHD doesn't come out until next year.

I also hear the Note 6 will have a 120MP camera on the front, that will allow you to look at your pimples in fine detail.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apparently it's relatively cheap and easy to improve pixel density....that's how they justify $700 for a phone that's otherwise mostly indistinguishable from its predecessor.

I honestly think if a good OEM, say Moto, had a truly made-to-order phone that they could capture like 50% of Android sales in a given year. $500 to get exactly what you want and need? Those UHD displays would pile-up in Sammie's warehouses.

TyrantII

Reaction score
I, for one, look forward to holding my phone 0.45" from my face to experience "Full Ultra High Definition"!

Count me in as seeing this as marketing influenced overkill with margins the only thought. I guess if they have us a better 1080P display with 4X the battery life at 1/2 the price, it sort of eats into the reasons to upgrade, no?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So...let me see, I'm under the impression that resolution is directly tied to PPI, but I'm still a little confused by it. For example, could you have a 1080p screen, with XXHDPI and a 2K screen with HDPI ?

If so, would the 1080p screen look better?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Count me in as seeing this as marketing influenced overkill with margins the only thought. I guess if they have us a better 1080P display with 4X the battery life at 1/2 the price, it sort of eats into the reasons to upgrade, no?

That's just it. Performance suffers in general. The only redeeming quality I can see of a UHD (and more) screen is recording 4k video, and then being able to play it back natively and zoom in. Of course, good luck recording much 4k video with you measly 32gigs of storage!

I think what it comes down to is they're always going to throw in the top cpu at the time. More ram and storage (and battery) would be more beneficial to customers, but then they might not need to upgrade longer. Display is the marketing selling point and it really does nothing to "future proof" a phone. Camera tech could be a big one, but it seems they only care about adding megapixels rather than quality.

bigdad63

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the speaker on my Note 3. It's mostly worthless in the car for speakerphone calls and gps. When gaming, I have to hold the phone a certain way to be able to hear. Additionally, I'm on the go all day long and don't have the ability or time to do the plugin fast charge thing. The only way I get through my day is with an extended battery. I'm praying that the same fashionista Apple synchophant idiots that designed the s6 aren't the ones who are handling the Note 5. If Samsung is too stupid to put speakers on the front of a multi-media phone and/or dumb enough to incorporate a sealed battery in the next Note, then I am definitely done with them.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I wonder if they are going to use their Mongoose processor in the Note 5?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If it's anything like the Note 3 or 4, it should be a beast regardless. I'm really looking forward to seeing confirmation of the final specs & subsequent release.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Knowing Samsung it will have twice the resolution than current phones and consume less battery at the same time. If their last few generations of phones are any indicator anyways.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I predict their sales will continue to decline and they'll continue to wonder why.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My Samsung Rep said he wouldn't be surprised if the Note 5 matches the S6 for internal battery and memory. It really wouldn't shock me either, but I sure hope it doesn't go that way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bigdad63

Reaction score
My Samsung Rep said he wouldn't be surprised if the Note 5 matches the S6 for internal battery and memory. It really wouldn't shock me either, but I sure hope it doesn't go that way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Hopefully they weren't talking about a sealed battery and no sd card.