Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Latest Rumors Round-Up

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s6-edge-sdn.jpg

It looks like a Samsung-centered morning of news today. There are a number of new rumors surrounding the Galaxy Note 5 that have been added to what we already reported in the past. We decided to compile them all so you guys can get a glimpse of the newest intel alongside the older reports. Some of the latest rumors contradict previous ones.

Here's the scoop (with all the rumors in no particular order mixed together):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 5 internal codename is called "Project Noble"
  • The device will have a new pop-up S-Pen stylus - includes a mechanism that automatically pops the S-Pen out of its slot using a voice or gesture command
  • Will use similar styling to the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge - The design will include the same glass-covered metal as the S6 series, but will have a 7.9mm-thin frame
  • Will have a 5.9 inch display on the regular Note 5 and 5.78 inches for the Note 5 Edge version (748ppi for the regular version and 762ppi) - this is the older rumor
  • Could have the world's first ultra-high resolution (4K) display on a smartphone
  • A contradictory newer rumor indicates it will NOT have a 4K display, but instead will have a 2K (1440x2560) resolution
  • The phone may come with the new USB Type-C connector - it will allow streaming 4k video throughput
  • Will include a new Exynos 7422 - uniquely combines all components into a single chip - using a proprietary ePoP (embedded package on package) production method
  • Will include Samsung's outrageously fast UFS 2.0 flash storage
  • A generous 4100mAh battery
We will keep you folks updated when any new intel arrives. In the mean-time, here's our dedicated Galaxy Note 5 section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

realged13

Reaction score
Wow, so far sounds really nice. I might finally think about going from Motorola to Samsung.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
now if the Edge is like the image with basically usable edges for widgets im sold on an Edge version. Otherwise I will stick with regular Note 5

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glass covered metal. Aka, no removable storage and battery?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

If this is the case then I seriously hope the device flops as bad as Robben did in last year's World Cup.

And I really would like for confirmed specs to come out so I will know whether to even bother to follow the developments of the device.

grrouchie

Reaction score
galaxy-s6-edge-sdn.jpg

It looks like a Samsung-centered morning of news today. There are a number of new rumors surrounding the Galaxy Note 5 that have been added to what we already reported in the past. We decided to compile them all so you guys can get a glimpse of the newest intel alongside the older reports. Some of the latest rumors contradict previous ones.

Here's the scoop (with all the rumors in no particular order mixed together):
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 5 internal codename is called "Project Noble"
  • The device will have a new pop-up S-Pen stylus - includes a mechanism that automatically pops the S-Pen out of its slot using a voice or gesture command
  • Will use similar styling to the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge - The design will include the same glass-covered metal as the S6 series, but will have a 7.9mm-thin frame
  • Will have a 5.9 inch display on the regular Note 5 and 5.78 inches for the Note 5 Edge version (748ppi for the regular version and 762ppi) - this is the older rumor
  • Could have the world's first ultra-high resolution (4K) display on a smartphone
  • A contradictory newer rumor indicates it will NOT have a 4K display, but instead will have a 2K (1440x2560) resolution
  • The phone may come with the new USB Type-C connector - it will allow streaming 4k video throughput
  • Will include a new Exynos 7422 - uniquely combines all components into a single chip - using a proprietary ePoP (embedded package on package) production method
  • Will include Samsung's outrageously fast UFS 2.0 flash storage
  • A generous 4100mAh battery
We will keep you folks updated when any new intel arrives. In the mean-time, here's our dedicated Galaxy Note 5 section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Android Forum at DroidForums.net
Might be just me but the link to the note 5 forums takes me to an android general discussion thread

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Hmm, without removable storage, almost could be a deal breaker. The N5 is what I've been waiting for. Although I admit, I am using less & less of my extSD because I tend to transfer much of my stuff to a 64gb flash drive that has both a micro USB and standard USB. That super little device makes it so easy to take my pics & docs from phone to tablet to PC.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
What is Samsung doing???

The big advantages they have over Apple are the removable battery and provision for a micro SD card.

Is someone trying to sabotage them???

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
What is Samsung doing???

The big advantages they have over Apple are the removable battery and provision for a micro SD card.

Is someone trying to sabotage them???

No kidding. It's like they're going after all of the iSheep, when true iSheep aren't going to switch anyway. So that is a waste of time and resources.

I've had a removable battery on all of my smart phones and I've also had a power bank. Verdict: removable battery >>> power bank.

I use a microSD card for the changing of devices. Mainly for music because I store actual music files locally and haven't been sucked into the streaming services game. Having to load all the music on a new device would make setting up the device even more time consuming than it is now. So all this "just get the bigger internal storage" stuff wouldn't help me.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue with people saying that they want microSD and a removable battery is that the people who actually use these all the time are the minority and even then are slimming down every month. With the expansion of cloud storage, attachable USB storage with microUSB connectors (soon to be UsbC which has way faster transfer rates), wireless charging, external battery banks, and fast charging, there is less and less reason to wholly rely on those two things. While there are of course people who will disagree with me, i'm sure there are just as many that will agree. One of the reasons why they don't want to use microSD anymore is because it has terrible read/write versus flash memory, and every test I've seen shows the same thing.

I have music and videos also, but i can't justify saying that i want a microSD because i have to have all my data at any given time. I can fit more then enough on my 32GB or even a 64GB phone. With the soon expansion of UsbC, there will be an explosion of external storage that will have great data transfer versus microUSB.

Most people are not going to be away from a place they could charge their phones for so long that they couldn't just have an external battery power bank as a backup in case something happens. I have a 16K MaH battery pack, which is 500% more battery than carrying around a secondary battery to swap in and out if i need it and it costed slightly more then an extra battery. So there is no reason I could justify saying I HAVE to have a removable battery.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the exclusion of SD is a huge money grab. Their mark-up on storage is 2-4X what you'd pay for an sd card.

They COULD, with limited bloatware, offer ONLY a 16GB version with an sd card (where people can easily add 16-200+GB storage). But instead they offer 32GB and load it up with bloatware, so you almost HAVE to pay the $100 extra for an additional 32GB of storage. An SD slot costs them, MAYBE, $10-$15...the 64GB vs. 32GB storage costs them probably less than that. CLEARLY a phone that honking big doesn't lack for space to include an SD slot. I'm surprised they aren't offering a 128GB version for another $100 more.

It will be interesting to see if SD slots continue to be included in most tablets. And computers are always adding more storage, went backwards with SSD but those capacities are expanding now - and most people run their computer on WIFI, where cloud storage makes more sense. No sd card in phones is manufacturers scamming us. Period.

There's only two things that would get me to upgrade my Turbo - a smaller spec powerhouse, or similar sized device with an sd slot.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This may be my next phone. 64gigs and that battery should be more than enough for me. My only decision would be either the Edge version or regular.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the exclusion of SD is a huge money grab. Their mark-up on storage is 2-4X what you'd pay for an sd card.

They COULD, with limited bloatware, offer ONLY a 16GB version with an sd card (where people can easily add 16-200+GB storage). But instead they offer 32GB and load it up with bloatware, so you almost HAVE to pay the $100 extra for an additional 32GB of storage. An SD slot costs them, MAYBE, $10-$15...the 64GB vs. 32GB storage costs them probably less than that. CLEARLY a phone that honking big doesn't lack for space to include an SD slot. I'm surprised they aren't offering a 128GB version for another $100 more.

It will be interesting to see if SD slots continue to be included in most tablets. And computers are always adding more storage, went backwards with SSD but those capacities are expanding now - and most people run their computer on WIFI, where cloud storage makes more sense. No sd card in phones is manufacturers scamming us. Period.

There's only two things that would get me to upgrade my Turbo - a smaller spec powerhouse, or similar sized device with an sd slot.
I think it was FoxKat that posted somewhere months back that doubling the internal card was real world cost of ~$9 now.
For me it's more about removable battery. If the battery goes bad after a year (warranty period) I'm stuck. I tend to keep and use phones longer than their original battery lasts so to me it's $40 vs $400+ . Not cool but my Tab 1 is over 4 years old and its battery is still very very usable, losing only about 20% on screen time after all the years so maybe I'm just being paranoid due to so much experience with HTC and their batteries.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For me it's more about removable battery. If the battery goes bad after a year (warranty period) I'm stuck.

I think in most phones you CAN replace the battery, it's just a nuisance. My Turbo doesn't have removable battery, but after seeing the teardown video it would be pretty easy to replace if I had to. IPhone has done that for years, you just lose your phone for a few days to send it in for a new battery (which is not acceptable, I get that).

I only care about the sd card. The battery door on my OG Droid eventualy warped, and my extended battery cover for the Rezound eventually cracked/warped....either one would fly off if I dropped it. So I actually prefer non-removeable batteries. If I was going to be away from a charger for a few days, I'd get one of those portable chargers.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
The Problem with Fixed Storage and relying on Cloud Storage means you will use more Data to access that Cloud Storage and unless you have Unlimited you would need a Larger Data Plan which is costly every month. Id much rather have MicroSd, Grab a 128GB and call it a day. I do Miss that feature with my Droid Turbo and will NOT buy another Phone without Removable Storage unless it has 128GB Built in and reasonably priced.