Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Latest Rumors Round-Up

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My work device is the note edge with a 128 gig sd card...imho going away from expandable memory was just a way to make us use more data..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My work device is the note edge with a 128 gig sd card...imho going away from expandable memory was just a way to make us use more data..

Big money grab all the way around. Google snoops on more of your data going back and forth between the cloud to sell to advertisers (and, lookie, MORE free storage from Google), the carriers get more money for you going to a higher data plan, and the manufacturer gets in on it gouging you for 400% mark-ups on storage.

Add all that up versus a one-time payment of $100 (or less) for a 128GB card...that can last you years and easily transfer to other devices. I'll bet there are literally millions of people paying $10+ per month for more data to stream content they OWN from the cloud because their device doesn't have enough storage. If these people were good at math they'd demand SD cards (and the ability to cache movies/tv shows offline for 24-48 hours).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used an otg cable and flash drives on my G2, Nexus7 and Tab for backups to my backups. I still do it for photo backup on m my Note4. I don't trust cloud storage, though I use it, so I backup my backups.
26a8094c2dc2276658a5fa43182e66dd.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah i completely understand that cloud storage will use a good chunk of data when used not on WiFi, but my main point was that it is still a solution, since many people are already connected to WiFi because they don't want to go over their data usage is what i'm sure plays slightly into it. I was mainly going for the OTG cable and just using a normal USB storage device to transfer things when you need to. The people who want to carry around their entire life on their phone is a minority because it's never been really feasible. I change things out on my phone occasionally but not to the point where i would say that i NEED an SD card slot to make me happy.

And of course they make a bunch of money off of phones, this has been known for years. The most expensive phone to manufacture is the S6 edge at the moment and it wasn't over 300 dollars. So they are making at least 200% profit off of each phone sold, for now of course. They are in business to make money, Apple does the same thing with their products, most of them aren't even close to what it takes to make them and they make billions.

As far as the battery goes I can at least understand this one more because people like the ability to just take the back off, throw a new battery in and be good to go. I just merely commented that it would never be a deal breaker for me, because of all the new technology coming out. Fast charging, wireless charging (will be better in about a year since they will have wireless fast charging), battery packs that can hold as much battery as you want.

I think there are many people that blow the situation out of proportion. But i do understand that there are many of you that really want these things included in the phone or it would be a deal buster, i just have a feeling that most phone companies are going to drop SD card storage in their higher end phones, for profit of course but it will happen. When they can make an extra 75$ easy by making you pay to the 64 instead of the 32, then why wouldn't they?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I used an otg cable and flash drives on my G2, Nexus7 and Tab for backups to my backups. I still do it for photo backup on m my Note4. I don't trust cloud storage, though I use it, so I backup my backups.
26a8094c2dc2276658a5fa43182e66dd.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I am with you, mountainbikermark. I don't trust cloud storage. Too many potential problems with it. The biggest is that it puts your life out on the web and who knows who will end up having access to it.

Not having a removable battery is no longer a deal breaker for me. I think I got over that with my Maxx. I am sure I could get over not having removable storage also. I keep everything I can on my removeable. If my phone crashes and needs to be replaced, there goes my info back to the factory on the internal storage. Much easier to be able to just take your card out. I back up my storage frequently. I have a flash drive with both a micro USB and a USB 3. Makes it very easy to plug into my phone and back up. But even with that convenience, I get busy and might not back up for days/weeks. My problem is not so much that I need all the extra storage bc it's easy to move info to my flash drives. It is what I could potentially lose between backups. My son's iPhone has seen that problem too many times. I use my phone for everything. Not having removable storage is just a pita. I would even pay extra for the phone just to have the option of removable storage.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

_33

Reaction score
I'm 42 years old, own a small basement waterproofing company and hate change. Working in basements means I rarely get a quality signal and my batteries wear down faster since the phone is constantly searching for signals. I have a really nice bluetooth radio my guys use in the basements for music. I can't run my streaming services due to lack of signal, so SD cards are my go to. I absolutely love my Notes for the ease of doing estimates and such directly on the job site. I keep a Note 10.1 in the truck for heavy typing and my Note 3 on my person. My Google Voice number is my business line which rings on all my devices at the same time. I would hate to have to switch to something different because then I need to figure out a bunch of stuff all over again. So... my choice is to just wait and see. If the Note 5 excludes features I need then the logical thing for me to do is buy two Note 4's on the cheap. Keep one in the box for backup and one for use. That could buy me four more years to figure stuff out.

Change sucks sometimes. I gotta run... there are some kids on my lawn I need kick off of it.