Samsung Confident in Legal Case Against Apple; Has an 'Ace in the Hole'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AppleSamsung-f700.jpg

In reference to Apple's lawsuit claiming that Samsung copied their designs, JK Shin, head of Samsung Mobile Communications, recently made a bold statement to the Wall Street Journal. He said,
We didn't copy Apple's design. We have used many similar designs over the past years and [Apple's claims] will not be legally problematic.
Apparently, Samsung has an "Ace in the hole" regarding the lawsuit. This "trump card" has actually been circulating the web since the story first broke. It is the Samsung F700, pictured above next to the iPhone. As it turns out, the Samsung F700 was the predecessor to the Galaxy S line of phones from Samsung, and more importantly, it was released before the iPhone. It would seem that Samsung has a powerful argument regarding the physical design of their phone not being a copy of the iPhone.

It is important to note however, that the lawsuit also alleges that Samsung's TouchWiz UI copies the look and feel of Apple's iOS. Obviously, this is separate from the physical issues of the phones, and Samsung will have to mount a different defense for that. Perhaps even if Samsung can't win that part of the lawsuit, they could very easily just change the icons around a bit to "alter" the look and feel enough to satisfy the court. Most patent cases tend to be rather boring, but this one is becoming an interesting battle.

Source: PhoneArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've seen this argument and though good, not solid. It was shown that the iPhone was shown off before the F700 was designed. It just happened to be released first. If they only look at release date, thats good. If not, bad.

UNC

Reaction score
Apple is in the right here. The Galaxy S line of phones BLATANTLY rips off iOS. None of the other OEM android skins look anything like what Samsung is doing.... Miui is the only thing closer to iOS than Samsungs skin. "TouchWiz?"

chezzeman

Reaction score
even if they showed off the iphone a month before samsung released the f700, they couldnt possibly have designed a functioning phone in only a month

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen this argument and though good, not solid. It was shown that the iPhone was shown off before the F700 was designed. It just happened to be released first. If they only look at release date, thats good. If not, bad.

They first showed off the F700 in 2006, and the first iphone was shown off in jan 07, how was that before the other?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
How many links to people need to realize the f700 was released well after the original iPhone. It's on wiki, it's even on samsung's own website. We have been down this road many times before.

JArmandB

Reaction score
Rindaen, you seem to spend a lot of time on the board here defending Apple and the iPhone...just saying.
Wikipedia is not the be all end all for information. The Samsung site in no way contradicts the image, not sure what you were looking at there. It appears cnet had the F700 in hand in March of 2007. There is no way that Samsung was able to develop a phone two months after Apple announced the iPhone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
How many links to people need to realize the f700 was released well after the original iPhone. It's on wiki, it's even on samsung's own website. We have been down this road many times before.

Released well after, yea. First shown, a month after the orig iPhone.

Thats the argument some folks are making. A month after the orig iPhone was first shown, and the F700 is a slider. I think Samsung is a good company, but I dont think they are that good to slap together a slider thats similar to the orig iPhone a month later.

All some folks are trying to say is the 1 button design and silver outline was not inspired by the iPhone. Like I said before, maybe they both saw a similar design and were inspired by it. Maybe they both just had very similar ideas.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Released well after, yea. First shown, a month after the orig iPhone.

Thats the argument some folks are making. A month after the orig iPhone was first shown, and the F700 is a slider. I think Samsung is a good company, but I dont think they are that good to slap together a slider thats similar to the orig iPhone a month later.

All some folks are trying to say is the 1 button design and silver outline was not inspired by the iPhone. Like I said before, maybe they both saw a similar design and were inspired by it. Maybe they both just had very similar ideas.

yeah, I don't really disagree I just think that people saying that this will be the "rabbit in the hat" or the "ace in the hole" is ridiculous. The phone was not created before the iPhone that is my only point. Were they created at the same time? Most likely, I think Apple only really has a point with touchwiz. Touchwiz if far too like the iOS to be mere coincidence.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Rindaen, you seem to spend a lot of time on the board here defending Apple and the iPhone...just saying.
Wikipedia is not the be all end all for information. The Samsung site in no way contradicts the image, not sure what you were looking at there. It appears cnet had the F700 in hand in March of 2007. There is no way that Samsung was able to develop a phone two months after Apple announced the iPhone.

Wasnt really defending Apple , Was just pointing out that the F700 wasnt displayed until after the iPhone.

Many people like to think the F700 was released in 2006 for some reason.

Im not a "fanboy" of any certain product.
on the desk is a dell desktop, Macbook pro, iPhone 3G and Droid X
In the garage an Accord, Scion XB and Corvette.
Ok , Well the only Sunglasses I wear are Oakley :)

UNC

Reaction score

Wasnt really defending Apple , Was just pointing out that the F700 wasnt displayed until after the iPhone.

Many people like to think the F700 was released in 2006 for some reason.

Im not a "fanboy" of any certain product.
on the desk is a dell desktop, Macbook pro, iPhone 3G and Droid X
In the garage an Accord, Scion XB and Corvette.
Ok , Well the only Sunglasses I wear are Oakley :)

Oakleys suck!!!! Ray ban baby!!!

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
The F700 and iPhone do not look alike.

Now With the Screens off the Vibrant and iPhone look a like.

However turn them on and you can tell the difference.

Or if you turn them over you will see one has a cheap POS back and the other nice shiny glass.

Sadly this should be a no go on a lawsuit but I can see Apple winning. Winning what I don't think much.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Oakleys suck!!!! Ray ban baby!!!

Had a few Ray Bans, The Ear stems always wear out to quick.
And Im not rough on my sunglasses at all.
maybe the new ones are better , Dont know

Samsung - Apple - Motorola - MicroSoft Etc...

They all copy each other to some extent , but damn atleast TRY to make it look different.Appears to me that Samsung is trying to emulate Apple's success by looking like them.
Competition is great, But create something innovative and Awe inspiring.
Creating something that people must have is hard work. But it pays off when it happens.