[Updated] Apple Brings Lawsuit Against Samsung

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Every time I look at a Samsung phone with Touchwiz I think "they sure look a lot like Apple products." However, that is not enough for a lawsuit. They didn't patent the candy bar phone style or 4-icon docks of certain colors, have they? I don't see how this lawsuit doesn't get thrown out of court unless there are specific patents involved.

Brandon
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

I don't think they file these lawsuits in hopes of winning. In fact the vast majority of them are dropped before a ruling can be made. I think this is Apple telling Samsung to be more original. The phone and UI are extremely similar to the iPhone, is that enough for a legit lawsuit? Probably not, but Apple is doing this to show their prowess as the market innovators. Whether or jot they still are the market leader, in their minds they are.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)
  3. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke New Member

No, they are just trying to cause a few things : 1: to waste samsungs time and money and MAYBE even delay a product or two. 2: give Samsung bad press. 2 1/2: cause all the apple fan boys to not even CONSIDER buying Samsung and making the switch because "its just android with an iOS ripoff on top of it that doesn't run half as good! "

It's just another marketing ploy just like 90% of the stuff they do heh... don't get me wrong I think they have great (mobile) products.... I just can't stand the people lol

You have just been post-pwned.
  4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

If i was samsung then, i'd tell them to find someone else get the products from that they are letting apple use... the be more original can go both ways.
  5. elvis_marmaduke

Yeah, except they probably make more bank letting apple use their stuff than they do in their own mobile stuff lol.... hopefully it won't be that way too much longer ;)

6. OneTenderRebel

right but a processor being used is very different than copying the phone's look and interface. TouchWiz is remarkably similar to the iOS and that is where the problem lays. Plus Apple pays Samsung a tremendous amount to use those processors. Samsung didn't pay Apple to copy their OS.
  7. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

This will be interesting whatever the outcome. I wonder, does this put a strain on Apple and Samsung's relationship.

Or will it be as the saying goes: Money talks n...
  8. OneTenderRebel

Well Samsung is going to countersue but like you said in the end it will be the money that talks. I don't think this will change much.
  9. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Lets say has more to do with Touchwiz. If Samsung removes the background from the icons or makes them a different color scheme, would that be enough to satisfy Apple? remove the background from the icons and it looks like stock Android.

Apple mentioning the Nexus S in this lawsuit is interesting too. That has stock Android. I got a feeling Apple did that trying to be slick and go after Google for Android indirectly. I dont think they have any chance based on hardware. If the Meizu phone from last year and this year survived their Apple lawsuit I think Samsung will be fine.
  10. OneTenderRebel

Yeah I know, I don't understand the Nexus S connection to the lawsuit. I can't imagine it being hardware related. TouchWiz yes maybe they have a case but thats about it.
  11. elvis_marmaduke

They just want publicity and this was the most expensive form they could think of...

12. Parter28

Parter28 New Member

This is bull crap. There is only so much you can do with a phone. Sure the UI is very similar, but they're not exactly the same. I think Samsung wanted to bring a very simple and easy to understand UI. How much more simplistic can you get than that.
    I personaly don't like the TouchWiz launcher, but I love every other part of it. The power widgets, and instant music controls on the pull down notifications area are awesome. It's those little things that make the user experience very simple and fun. This lawsuit is just a waste of time.
  13. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Member

This is so dumb.

Yeah, Samsung Galaxy phones look a LOT like the iphone. I've noticed that the second I saw them. But I don't think one can patent how an item LOOKS. All laptops have the same design... does that mean the company that created the original laptop should sue everyone else? Samsung's UI is completely their own with an entirely different software and I think it's very foolish for Apple to sue one of their own partners.
  14. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

Hopefully apple doesn't see this!
    [​IMG]

Sent from the hand of zeus!
  15. xan

xan New Member

Yay! More litigation and less innovation.

the only ones that win with this kind of BS are the lawyers. while we lose out on more competition.

With the lightning fast cycles of electronic devices we need to make copyrights become public domain in two years or less.

The original intent of copyright law was to keep individuals and companies innovating by limiting how long an entity owned the rights to a creation. Instead we now have copyrights lasting longer than the average human lives.

Thanks for nothing Sony Bono!
  16. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

If they were eventually successful with a suit like this, TV manufacturers would start suing each other left and right.

Brandon
  17. elvis_marmaduke

Haha I love it! So true...

18. MoeDaddy

MoeDaddy Member

This lawsuit will go nowhere but it does make you wonder how the relationship between the two companies will be harmed or if there is already more going on behind the scenes with the supply line that we don't know about. Apple gets alot of parts from Samsung and with the already limited supplies out there due to the japan crisis it is interesting that apple would piss off a main supplier. Apple may account for 5% of Samsung's business so they may want to protect that but they do have some clout themselves and could make Apples supply woes all that much worse... Will be fun to watch this play out.
  19. chris420o

chris420o New Member

ima be honest....as much as i hate apple i do not blame them...its actually why i hate samsung phones they look too much like iphone rip offs...whatever happened to the android stock dock...why go with the 4 icons that look VERY similar to the iphone layout...why make the phone the same shape with a WEIRD unandroid like touch button in the middle that looks very similar to iphones one button layout...like keep it android you think making it look like an iphone will make more people buy it?...stupid move by samsung and i hope it makes they change up their products bc they do look WAY to much like iphones
  20. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

New updated "news"
    Shows a Samsung premiered in 2006 before the iphone came out.

Did Apple Really “Steal” Their iPhone Design From Samsung? [Pot, Meet Kettle]

I liked this part of the article:
    "The answer: no one is stealing from anyone. Apple didn’t invent icons, nor did they invent the grid in which they sit. They didn’t invent the rectangle. They didn’t invent the touchscreen. They surely didn’t invent the nice looking button sitting at the bottom. And last, but not least, they didn’t invent phones."