[Updated] Apple Brings Lawsuit Against Samsung

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OMG that guy's frisbee looks like mine! :icon_eek:

This is a pointless lawsuit. Apple is trying to make it's money through lawsuits now ;).

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
OMG that guy's frisbee looks like mine! :icon_eek:

This is a pointless lawsuit. Apple is trying to make it's money through lawsuits now ;).

Well except a Frisbee has to have the same shape to fly whereas Samsung didn't have to make their phone look identical to the iPhone. Just playing devils advocate.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not to defend the fruit, but apple has a point. Its like mcdonalds and mcdowells.

[video=youtube;CGRiTpCji0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGRiTpCji0I]YouTube - "See they got the Big Mac.. I got the Big Mick..." - Coming to America[/video]

Seriously who havent looked at the samsung galaxy phones and think "man this looks like an iphone". They even had the nerve to have a samsung galaxy touch. Samsung should get slapped for making it that obvious.

Samsung-Galaxy-Music-Player-vs-iPod-Touch.jpg

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to defend the fruit, but apple has a point. Its like mcdonalds and mcdowells.

Seriously who havent looked at the samsung galaxy phones and think "man this looks like an iphone". They even had the nerve to have a samsung galaxy touch. Samsung should get slapped for making it that obvious.

Look at the lawsuit from windows against lindows... didn't work out well for windows.

Well except a Frisbee has to have the same shape to fly whereas Samsung didn't have to make their phone look identical to the iPhone. Just playing devils advocate.

True, but one could argue that the phone just ended up in that shape, does it matter if it looks close. This is just like apple's lawsuit over the "app store".

Now if samsung came out and was like... hey look at my new "sipod touch" or my new "sipad" i could see this lawsuit as legitimate. Unfortunately There are from initial view at least 7 things initially i can see that are different, so what it has the same size... so what it has the same generic look. just as apple's app store is a generic name. I could name my item... new2u's new focus touch... does it slap apple in the face... yes but there's nothing they could do about it. But you surely don't slap someone in the face that is allowing you to use certain items that are samsung's.

I think this has more to do with android phones outselling apple in the recent months at least. I've read over alot of the case, at least what is out there. While some points are valid, i just don't see them winning this one.

My first remark was more of a mock then anything, it was mainly just to say this is a dumb lawsuit. A design patent really is hard to tell at what point your product is different then another.. one really big thing 10 small things.. while the shape of them is similar, there doesn't seems to be enough from what a family layer of mine that deals with stuff like that says "that while they have a chance to win, he didn't see enough to justify the full claim of apple", that's based off what he has read and everything.

The major difference... a SAMSUNG logo printed right on the screen where as apple's has none.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Seriously who havent looked at the samsung galaxy phones and think "man this looks like an iphone".

Every time I look at a Samsung phone with Touchwiz I think "they sure look a lot like Apple products." However, that is not enough for a lawsuit. They didn't patent the candy bar phone style or 4-icon docks of certain colors, have they? I don't see how this lawsuit doesn't get thrown out of court unless there are specific patents involved.

Brandon

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think they file these lawsuits in hopes of winning. In fact the vast majority of them are dropped before a ruling can be made. I think this is Apple telling Samsung to be more original. The phone and UI are extremely similar to the iPhone, is that enough for a legit lawsuit? Probably not, but Apple is doing this to show their prowess as the market innovators. Whether or jot they still are the market leader, in their minds they are.

Reaction score
No, they are just trying to cause a few things : 1: to waste samsungs time and money and MAYBE even delay a product or two. 2: give Samsung bad press. 2 1/2: cause all the apple fan boys to not even CONSIDER buying Samsung and making the switch because "its just android with an iOS ripoff on top of it that doesn't run half as good! "

It's just another marketing ploy just like 90% of the stuff they do heh... don't get me wrong I think they have great (mobile) products.... I just can't stand the people lol

You have just been post-pwned.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think they file these lawsuits in hopes of winning. In fact the vast majority of them are dropped before a ruling can be made. I think this is Apple telling Samsung to be more original. The phone and UI are extremely similar to the iPhone, is that enough for a legit lawsuit? Probably not, but Apple is doing this to show their prowess as the market innovators. Whether or jot they still are the market leader, in their minds they are.

If i was samsung then, i'd tell them to find someone else get the products from that they are letting apple use... the be more original can go both ways.

Reaction score
Yeah, except they probably make more bank letting apple use their stuff than they do in their own mobile stuff lol.... hopefully it won't be that way too much longer ;)

You have just been post-pwned.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

If i was samsung then, i'd tell them to find someone else get the products from that they are letting apple use... the be more original can go both ways.

right but a processor being used is very different than copying the phone's look and interface. TouchWiz is remarkably similar to the iOS and that is where the problem lays. Plus Apple pays Samsung a tremendous amount to use those processors. Samsung didn't pay Apple to copy their OS.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting whatever the outcome. I wonder, does this put a strain on Apple and Samsung's relationship.

Or will it be as the saying goes: Money talks n...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting whatever the outcome. I wonder, does this put a strain on Apple and Samsung's relationship.

Or will it be as the saying goes: Money talks n...

Well Samsung is going to countersue but like you said in the end it will be the money that talks. I don't think this will change much.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

right but a processor being used is very different than copying the phone's look and interface. TouchWiz is remarkably similar to the iOS and that is where the problem lays. Plus Apple pays Samsung a tremendous amount to use those processors. Samsung didn't pay Apple to copy their OS.

Lets say has more to do with Touchwiz. If Samsung removes the background from the icons or makes them a different color scheme, would that be enough to satisfy Apple? remove the background from the icons and it looks like stock Android.

Apple mentioning the Nexus S in this lawsuit is interesting too. That has stock Android. I got a feeling Apple did that trying to be slick and go after Google for Android indirectly. I dont think they have any chance based on hardware. If the Meizu phone from last year and this year survived their Apple lawsuit I think Samsung will be fine.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Lets say has more to do with Touchwiz. If Samsung removes the background from the icons or makes them a different color scheme, would that be enough to satisfy Apple? remove the background from the icons and it looks like stock Android.

Apple mentioning the Nexus S in this lawsuit is interesting too. That has stock Android. I got a feeling Apple did that trying to be slick and go after Google for Android indirectly. I dont think they have any chance based on hardware. If the Meizu phone from last year and this year survived their Apple lawsuit I think Samsung will be fine.

Yeah I know, I don't understand the Nexus S connection to the lawsuit. I can't imagine it being hardware related. TouchWiz yes maybe they have a case but thats about it.