S3 might not be around long.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yea I thought about that as I was goin thru the market lookin at all my old apps n noticed launcherpro. Just so many little things that'll take gettin used to I suppose. Just using my OG for 1 minute just now I'm like holy **** this screen is small hahaha. Just all the pointless bloatware on this thing adds insult to injury but rooting should be able to freeze those like u said. It's a very nice quality phone no doubt, but I guess just being in the android game and knowing how much can be done has spoiled me :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

I'd skip LauncherPro for now. It hasn't been updated in over a year. Supposedly the developer is rewriting it, but I'll believe it when I see it. I used to use it all the time, but it's fallen far behind what many other launchers can do. I'd suggest looking at Go Launcher and Apex Launcher.

One of the great things about ICS is that you can freeze most bloatware natively within the OS without the need for root or a third-party app. Most apps can be disabled, which is the same as freezing them in Titanium Backup. You can freeze a lot more with root and Titanium Backup, but it's nice that Google decided to give everyone the option to be able to freeze a fair amount without needing anything else.

meishkov

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
I'd skip LauncherPro for now. It hasn't been updated in over a year. Supposedly the developer is rewriting it, but I'll believe it when I see it. I used to use it all the time, but it's fallen far behind what many other launchers can do. I'd suggest looking at Go Launcher and Apex Launcher.

One of the great things about ICS is that you can freeze most bloatware natively within the OS without the need for root or a third-party app. Most apps can be disabled, which is the same as freezing them in Titanium Backup. You can freeze a lot more with root and Titanium Backup, but it's nice that Google decided to give everyone the option to be able to freeze a fair amount without needing anything else.

Yea I know that sucks about that launcherpro dude, he had something good and he abandoned it, or maybe somethin bad happened to him who knows. I tried go launcher on my OG and it wasn't bad but used up too much memory which obviously is no concern with this bad boy. Gonna look into that, thanks for all the insight you've provided. I guess I'll tinker around with the launcher and freezing some of the garbage, and rooting as well. .. haven't delved too deep into the s3 forums yet, out of pure curiosity, where does the bootloader issue stand? Anybody receive anything from vzw on it? Has the s3's future already been decided??

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yea I know that sucks about that launcherpro dude, he had something good and he abandoned it, or maybe somethin bad happened to him who knows. I tried go launcher on my OG and it wasn't bad but used up too much memory which obviously is no concern with this bad boy. Gonna look into that, thanks for all the insight you've provided. I guess I'll tinker around with the launcher and freezing some of the garbage, and rooting as well. .. haven't delved too deep into the s3 forums yet, out of pure curiosity, where does the bootloader issue stand? Anybody receive anything from vzw on it? Has the s3's future already been decided??

A couple weeks ago, some people reported that Verizon reps were telling them that the bootloader was going to be unlocked. Turned out it was just confusion on the part of the reps about the GSM capabilities being unlocked at a later date, not the bootloader. Since Samsung is releasing a developer's edition of the Verizon S3 direct from them with an unlocked bootloader, it's extremely unlikely that the S3 sold by Verizon will ever see the bootloader officially unlocked at any point in the near future.

meishkov

Reaction score
Stupid Verizon reps.
Using apex launcher right now, pretty amazing compared to Touchwiz crap. Today is better than yesterday was, hopefully the adjustment continues in a positive direction ;)

OP
T

toperm

Reaction score
I gave up on S3. Swapped for Maxx. Fabulous reception and flawless web. For my area Maxx is superior to S3. Thanks for all the info, switching to Maxx forum..

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Many parts of this thread make me a very sad panda. :(

I've only had my S3 a few days but it's been, for lack of a better word, flawless. Shadez had it right when he said it depends on many, many factors. So far, so good.

And I'm sorry, but I can no longer hold silent while people are raving about the build and radio quality of Moto phones. Maxx aside (more or less because they learned from the Razr/Bionic), Moto phones have been plagued with connection issues for almost 2 years now. Ok sure, the OG, DX, D2 and D3 all held a connection, but the X2, Bionic, D4 AND Razr were all plagued with connection issues, which many still have. Now I'm not saying Moto phones suck because, like all issues, it varies place by place. However as a reader of forums and an owner of both the X2 (crap phone) and Bionic (awesome phone with data issues) in downtown Atlanta, a MAJOR 4g area, Moto radios are not "fantastic" or "unrivaled." ESPECIALLY in fringe areas. Just sayin...

kparks

Reaction score
toperm said:
I gave up on S3. Swapped for Maxx. Fabulous reception and flawless web. For my area Maxx is superior to S3. Thanks for all the info, switching to Maxx forum..

Well one thing the s3 has over the razr is it's smoothness and processing power... Touch wiz gets the nod over blur... Blur is the worst thing about Moto device's

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I also want to add, and kparks this isn't towards you, you just reminded me, but people really need to stop taking overlays into account.

Firstly, most of them suck. Some suck less than others, but they all have pros/cons. If you don't like Touchwiz, download GoLauncher with a Blur theme. Don't like Blur? Download LauncherPro with a Sense theme. Don't like any of them? Download TSF SHell/SPB/GoLauncher/LauncherPro/one of the hundred others and customize your own. Seriously, I've tried A LOT of them, and the possibilities are endless.

Launchers and complaining about them is totally 2010...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
k1ngr4t said:

I've only had my S3 a few days but it's been, for lack of a better word, flawless. Shadez had it right when he said it depends on many, many factors. So far, so good.

And I'm sorry, but I can no longer hold silent while people are raving about the build and radio quality of Moto phones. Maxx aside (more or less because they learned from the Razr/Bionic), Moto phones have been plagued with connection issues for almost 2 years now. Ok sure, the OG, DX, D2 and D3 all held a connection, but the X2, Bionic, D4 AND Razr were all plagued with connection issues, which many still have. Now I'm not saying Moto phones suck because, like all issues, it varies place by place. However as a reader of forums and an owner of both the X2 (crap phone) and Bionic (awesome phone with data issues) in downtown Atlanta, a MAJOR 4g area, Moto radios are not "fantastic" or "unrivaled." ESPECIALLY in fringe areas. Just sayin...

Bionic had massive connection issues. The RAZR has been quietly awesome.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Bionic had massive connection issues. The RAZR has been quietly awesome.

Not sure when you got your phone but the Bionic/Razr shared the same radio. So they both had data drops for quite awhile. Of course now things are somewhat better, but people still report having them. Shame too cause I loved my Bionic...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
k1ngr4t said:
Not sure when you got your phone but the Bionic/Razr shared the same radio. So they both had data drops for quite awhile. Of course now things are somewhat better, but people still report having them. Shame too cause I loved my Bionic...

It was a software issue not a hardware issue. The Bionic software was botched from day one.

The only systemic issue with the RAZR's data was that the bars were inaccurate which was fixed with ICS.

kparks

Reaction score
k1ngr4t said:
I also want to add, and kparks this isn't towards you, you just reminded me, but people really need to stop taking overlays into account.

Firstly, most of them suck. Some suck less than others, but they all have pros/cons. If you don't like Touchwiz, download GoLauncher with a Blur theme. Don't like Blur? Download LauncherPro with a Sense theme. Don't like any of them? Download TSF SHell/SPB/GoLauncher/LauncherPro/one of the hundred others and customize your own. Seriously, I've tried A LOT of them, and the possibilities are endless.

Launchers and complaining about them is totally 2010...

Maybe here but most people won't bother using any launchers and will just deal with whatever comes stock... But making that switch ur still losing processing power... Go launcher is pretty good tho but I normally deal with whatever comes stock personally

skennelly

Reaction score
Maybe here but most people won't bother using any launchers and will just deal with whatever comes stock... But making that switch ur still losing processing power... Go launcher is pretty good tho but I normally deal with whatever comes stock personally

I have been on the stock launcher since I got the phone and will continue to do so. I used third party launchers on my Gtab and DX for the longest time. When I finally went back to the stock launcher, all the lag issues stopped. Most launchers seem to use a lot of the devices resources. It may not be an issue on the S3 with all the ram, but stock is fine for me.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well one thing the s3 has over the razr is it's smoothness and processing power... Touch wiz gets the nod over blur... Blur is the worst thing about Moto device's

Have you tried the ICS Blur? It's as close to stock ICS as any custom skin out there. Several tech sites have even gone back to re-review the RAZR/MAXX with the new Blur because it's so different (here's an example from Engadget). It's also incredibly smooth on the RAZR/MAXX (nearly as smooth as the S3). Of course, choices in skins and launchers still ultimately come down to personal preference, but in my opinion, it's easily the best manufacturer skin out there. It's closer to stock than any other one, and it's far less intrusive.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

The Bionic was a big misstep for Motorola. It was a rushed device, and their first LTE phone. It had several issues out of the gate. But as zomnomnombie said, they were software issues. The RAZR/MAXX (both of which are 100% identical save for the battery and slightly thicker body) may have similar hardware to the Bionic, but by the time the RAZR was released, the problems were corrected.

There will always be people who report issues, but those with problems are naturally going to be the ones who are more vocal with any device. If everything is working well, a person doesn't feel the need to constantly tell everyone that. But if everything isn't working right, they're going to keep talking about it until it's fixed.

Each person will have different experiences, even with the same devices. That said, there's a reason a lot of people praise the reception on Motorola's devices. They are widely regarded in the industry as having some of the best reception around. Does that mean they're perfect? No. Does that mean they won't stumble here and there like with the Bionic? Nope. In my experience, including using several devices from the past two years, Motorola is more consistent with releasing devices that have better than average reception, and this is especially the case in fringe areas (I live in a fringe area with weak reception). But of course, as already mentioned, different people will have different experiences.