S3 might not be around long.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by toperm, Jul 27, 2012.

1. toperm

toperm New Member

Got S3 last night. 1X in our area! Not good. Calls not so great either. Maxx might be happening soon..
  2. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge New Member

It's definitely not a Motorola phone... I'm tempted to go back to my razr myself... Its a way better phone and grabs great 4G where the Samsung is stuck on slow 3g or no g...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  3. CuriousRaven

CuriousRaven New Member

Define way better? I'd have to disagree.
  4. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

Thus makes me feel better about sticking with my bionic
  5. arrndroid

arrndroid New Member

I live in a fringe area and it is noticeably better at holding a signal or phone call then my droid 2. If I hold the phones next to each other they have the exact same dBm reading.
    Your results may vary, but I feel there is some negativity toward this phone just because the nexus was bad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums
    1 person likes this.
  6. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

The Rezound and it's immediate competitors are all great phones, all with minor flaws.

I've said it many times before, it comes down to many factors on which phone is best for you. The Design, your geographical area (Mountains, Valleys, Atmospheric Conditions, etc), and tower locations among others. So right now, there is NO 'Best' phone.
    3 people like this.
  7. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

I also live in a fringe area and nothing but Motorola phones give me great reception. I have tried the G'Nex and the SIII and neither come anywhere close to the reception of my Maxx and past Moto devices.
  8. JoeeDB

JoeeDB Member

I'm thinking about returning my S3 too. Got it a week ago today and only seeing a maximum of 2 bars in my house just isn't gonna cut it for me, especially living right in the middle of town.
  9. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

No problem with 4G LTE speeds or call connections and quality for me with my S3, yes bars are only at 3 sometimes 4, but phone still flies. All you people with reception issues, it's called 4G LTE and that it is still in it's infancy, and issues are still beign worked out, it's a work in progress for the Telcos ,phone manufacturers, to chip manufacturers.
  10. CuriousRaven

CuriousRaven New Member

Moto devices also reboot randomly.
  11. kparks

kparks Active Member

Way better as not a piece of crap lol
  12. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I'm not sure what Motorola devices you've had, but I've had several, and they've consistently been the most stable out of all the devices from various manufacturers that I've owned. They also consistently have the best reception. That's not to say that they're perfect, but they're pretty darn good.

The S3 has the best reception, and is the most stable, of all of the Samsung Android devices I've had. But it still falls short of most Motorola and HTC devices I've owned in both of those categories.

But Shadez is entirely right. Design, conditions and location all play a huge roll in the reception you'll see.
  13. kparks

kparks Active Member

Absolutely 100% couldn't agree more! He possibly had a droid x they had some reboot issues but the razr line has been good and the only HTC with that problem was the Thunderbolt but it got straightened out and did not affect everyone the tbolt still the best phone I ever owned... But I agree s3 falls short in almost everything when compared to Moto or htc!
  14. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

My last Motorola device was the worst device I've owned. The reception was fine, but it was plagued with all kinds of bugs. I had to get it replaced 3 times because of all its problems. It had random reboots, it would get stuck in boot loops, camera would only show a black screen, physical camera button quit working, and on and on. When the camera did work, it took forever to load, and even longer to take a picture. Did I mention that this was the worst phone I've ever owned?

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10
  15. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I wouldn't say the S3 falls short in almost everything. Compared to most HTC devices, and all Motorola devices, the S3 has a better (and larger) screen. The performance of the S3 is at the head of the pack among devices in the U.S., thanks in part to the 2GB of RAM. The camera blows away the camera on every Motorola device, and it tops every HTC device save for the One series. The battery doesn't come close to the MAXX, but it holds its own against any other LTE device, and has the advantage of being removable.

At the end of the day, each device has its pros and cons. If I were the type of person who kept the same phone for an entire 2 year contract, personally, I would have stuck with the MAXX (which is the best smartphone I've ever owned). I think it's the best all-around phone on Verizon right now for a variety of reasons (the most important ones being reception and battery life). But since I trade off phones every 2-3 months, I was impressed enough by the S3 to keep it for a bit and sell the MAXX. The deal-breaker on the S3 would have been if it had reception like the Galaxy Nexus, Charge, and Stratosphere. All three of those were nothing but paperweights for much of time I owned them because of their inability to maintain a signal, even in strong areas. But the S3 has held a signal quite well in comparison. Again, it's not up to the level of Motorola or HTC, but it's better than Samsung's previous offerings on Verizon.

There's a lot to love about the S3. You just have to figure out what's most important to you, and then go with the phone that fits your needs/wants the best.
  16. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Which Motorola device was it? Sounds like the Droid X, which did have it's fair share of problems for many people. I never had any issues with the one I had.

I never said Motorola's track record was perfect (in fact, I directly said that I wasn't saying thay), and I think my phone history shows that I'm not a fanboy for any single manufacturer. I just love new tech. But on the whole, based on all of the phones I've had (which is more than most), they've easily been the most reliable. Have I had issues with them? Sure I have. But overall, I've had less issues with all of the Motorola devices I've owned than from all of the devices I've owned from any other manufacturer. When you've owned almost every major smartphone released on a carrier, along with several minor releases, you get a much better feel for what a company consistently puts out than when you only own one to two phones every one to two years. Instead of basing the decision of a manufacturer on one or two devices, you're able to look at the evolution of their work and the consistency (or lack thereof) that they have in various areas. All of the manufacturers do some things well, and all of them do some things poorly. There's no perfect phone out there. :)

Samsung has definitely impressed me with the S3 though. A huge step in the right direction for them with their phones on Verizon.
  17. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

To be fair, once you're in the refurb cycle, it doesn't matter what manufacturer you use, you're going to POSSIBLY have a bad time :(.

Googorola MAXX
  18. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

True story. I went through 6 refurbs on the original Droid until I received one that functioned properly. It's definitely a crap shoot.
  19. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

My new phone was a lemon, and so were two refurbs. The refurbs should actually be in better working condition since they were refurbished. Unless you think that the old non working phone you just sent in, just gets shipped right back out to some poor sap.

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10
  20. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

I know what you mean with the whole idea of them being "better", however as someone who worked In the industry (and anyone who has been involved with these things can verify) it simply isn't true hehe. As an extreme example (actually this stuff happened all the time), I remember when a customers speaker phone on a refurb wasn't working (from asurion), well the speaker wasn't in the phone lol...between quality control sucking, and the objective to be cheap on purpose to make more money, the refurbs are usually bad news.

I don't want to scare people as a smashed phone is infinitely worse than a $100 refurb from asurion, but man unless your phone is so jacked up that it camt be used, I could never recommend a refurb. I'm in the process of trying to get a new maxx now, of course I Have to keep calling until I get a csr thAt will give me a new maxx instead of a "clnr".
Search tags for this page
apps to improve radio reception for samsung s3
galaxy s3 random power cycling
refurbished galaxy note 2 verizon
s3 weak radios
samsung galaxy s3 phone does not work well in fringe areas

samsung galaxy s3 power cycle

samsung galaxy s3 reception issues

samsung galaxy s3 verizon reception issues

tsf battery consumption

tsf shell battery life