S3 might not be around long.

kparks

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
I wouldn't say the S3 falls short in almost everything. Compared to most HTC devices, and all Motorola devices, the S3 has a better (and larger) screen. The performance of the S3 is at the head of the pack among devices in the U.S., thanks in part to the 2GB of RAM. The camera blows away the camera on every Motorola device, and it tops every HTC device save for the One series. The battery doesn't come close to the MAXX, but it holds its own against any other LTE device, and has the advantage of being removable.

At the end of the day, each device has its pros and cons. If I were the type of person who kept the same phone for an entire 2 year contract, personally, I would have stuck with the MAXX (which is the best smartphone I've ever owned). I think it's the best all-around phone on Verizon right now for a variety of reasons (the most important ones being reception and battery life). But since I trade off phones every 2-3 months, I was impressed enough by the S3 to keep it for a bit and sell the MAXX. The deal-breaker on the S3 would have been if it had reception like the Galaxy Nexus, Charge, and Stratosphere. All three of those were nothing but paperweights for much of time I owned them because of their inability to maintain a signal, even in strong areas. But the S3 has held a signal quite well in comparison. Again, it's not up to the level of Motorola or HTC, but it's better than Samsung's previous offerings on Verizon.

There's a lot to love about the S3. You just have to figure out what's most important to you, and then go with the phone that fits your needs/wants the best.

Well the screen on the HTC one is wayyy better than the amoled on my s3 but I think amoled displays look like crap to begin with.. and the ram don't really matter I think 2gb is overkill then factor in the crappy build quality and the weak radio and it's a no contest to htc... and when Moto comes with a 720p display phone it won't be a contest there either cuz both there build quality beats anything Sammy has or ever had

skennelly

Reaction score
Well the screen on the HTC one is wayyy better than the amoled on my s3 but I think amoled displays look like crap to begin with.. and the ram don't really matter I think 2gb is overkill then factor in the crappy build quality and the weak radio and it's a no contest to htc... and when Moto comes with a 720p display phone it won't be a contest there either cuz both there build quality beats anything Sammy has or ever had

You sure spend a lot of time in the S3 forums for someone that has nothing good to say about the phone. With your avatar, I'd have thought you'd be in the htc section. No disrespect intended, just an observation.

Caesars

Reaction score
No one device is "that much better" or htc, apple, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, zte, yadda yadda yadda wouldn't all exist, only one would....

Clearly some people still don't understand that "individual differences" occur with every freaking person on the planet, you like what you like.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well the screen on the HTC one is wayyy better than the amoled on my s3 but I think amoled displays look like crap to begin with..

I never said it had a better display than the HTC One X. I said it has a better screen than most HTC devices:

Compared to most HTC devices, and all Motorola devices, the S3 has a better (and larger) screen.

That leaves room for some HTC devices, specifically the One X, to be better. They're pretty darn close in terms of overall quality, and at the end of the day, whether one is better than the other comes down to personal preference. Personally, I give the edge to the One X, which is why I said the S3 is better than most (which implies that it's not better than all).

and the ram don't really matter I think 2gb is overkill

With the way Android handles background processes, I didn't think it would really matter all that much either. But having used it for over two weeks now, I can definitely say it's very beneficial.

the crappy build quality

The phone is actually built much better than it feels. Is it a tank like most Motorola phones? No, but the flex afforded by the plastic body can actually be more beneficial in certain types of falls than the rigid body of other devices like those put out by Motorola. Personally, I prefer the build quality of Motorola's devices. But anyone who says the S3 has poor build quality doesn't know a whole lot about the engineering behind it.

and the weak radio

The S3 doesn't have a weak radio. The Galaxy Nexus has a weak radio. Is the radio in the S3 as good as the radios in Motorola devices or in some HTC devices on Verizon? No, not in my experience. But that doesn't mean it's weak. There are phones on Verizon that have far worse reception than the S3.

and it's a no contest to htc... and when Moto comes with a 720p display phone it won't be a contest there either cuz both there build quality beats anything Sammy has or ever had

I'll be first in line for the RAZR HD, and for the rumored 1080p HTC phone if it ever surfaces, but saying Samsung's devices are no contest for HTC or Motorola is entirely personally preference. There are things that Motorola does better than HTC and Samsung, there are things that HTC does better than Motorola and Samsung, and there are things that Samsung does better than Motorola or HTC. Each device has its pros and cons. Each person just has to go for the device that's right for them.

Caesars

Reaction score
Individual differences! This reminds me of a Intro to Psych class hehe :)

kparks

Reaction score
skennelly said:
You sure spend a lot of time in the S3 forums for someone that has nothing good to say about the phone. With your avatar, I'd have thought you'd be in the htc section. No disrespect intended, just an observation.

Well I'm currently using a s3 so I can make any comments about it I feel fit. I'm sorry if facts hurt u! I prefer htc phones yes. but I'm not going to go say things that are not true about other phones.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
The S3 certainly does have a weak LTE radio. I am 2000ft from the 4G tower and it's goes between 3 and 4G 30x, day or more... So annoying, and when it's on 4G most times it isn't very fast... My Razr stayed on 4G the entire time never came off until I was miles away from the tower and delivered blazing speeds.. This phone just wants to be on 3g... Almost a crime to call it an LTE phone when it's only on 4G when basically on top of the tower.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kparks

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
I never said it had a better display than the HTC One X. I said it has a better screen than most HTC devices:

That leaves room for some HTC devices, specifically the One X, to be better. They're pretty darn close in terms of overall quality, and at the end of the day, whether one is better than the other comes down to personal preference. Personally, I give the edge to the One X, which is why I said the S3 is better than most (which implies that it's not better than all).

With the way Android handles background processes, I didn't think it would really matter all that much either. But having used it for over two weeks now, I can definitely say it's very beneficial.

The phone is actually built much better than it feels. Is it a tank like most Motorola phones? No, but the flex afforded by the plastic body can actually be more beneficial in certain types of falls than the rigid body of other devices like those put out by Motorola. Personally, I prefer the build quality of Motorola's devices. But anyone who says the S3 has poor build quality doesn't know a whole lot about the engineering behind it.

The S3 doesn't have a weak radio. The Galaxy Nexus has a weak radio. Is the radio in the S3 as good as the radios in Motorola devices or in some HTC devices on Verizon? No, not in my experience. But that doesn't mean it's weak. There are phones on Verizon that have far worse reception than the S3.

I'll be first in line for the RAZR HD, and for the rumored 1080p HTC phone if it ever surfaces, but saying Samsung's devices are no contest for HTC or Motorola is entirely personally preference. There are things that Motorola does better than HTC and Samsung, there are things that HTC does better than Motorola and Samsung, and there are things that Samsung does better than Motorola or HTC. Each device has its pros and cons. Each person just has to go for the device that's right for them.

U make some good points more ram is not a bad thing obviously but I think 1gb handled the os pretty good and ur right the build is ok I know quite a bit about it... its flimsy polycarbonate and my back Cover make a annoying squeak when I hit the home button but when comparing it to others its not as good and it does not feel high quality in the hand plastic is pretty durable but at the end of the day it still looks and feels like plastic.

I prefer the one x screen because I stated that I don't like amoled implying that it's different person to person :)

I'm comparing the radio to my tbolt and I constantly don't have service where I did with the htc and just around work my coworkers razr has better reception I'm losing data in places where htc and Moto both have service that's why I made that statement!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The Rezound and it's immediate competitors are all great phones, all with minor flaws.
I've said it many times before, it comes down to many factors on which phone is best for you. The Design, your geographical area (Mountains, Valleys, Atmospheric Conditions, etc), and tower locations among others. So right now, there is NO 'Best' phone.

No one device is "that much better" or htc, apple, Samsung, Motorola, Sony, zte, yadda yadda yadda wouldn't all exist, only one would....
Clearly some people still don't understand that "individual differences" occur with every freaking person on the planet, you like what you look.

Couldn't have said it better than these two comments. We're all lovers of Android, but I've never seen so much Samsung bashing on any other site. There is no perfect phone...period. I've had a number of make/model phones over the years and a number of different results and experiences with each.... and with location being a huge factor in my overall satisfaction with said phones.
Of course you're going to go with what phone works best for you and your needs, but that in no way, shape or form means THAT particular make/model is any better than any other make/model. Each phone has its strengths and weaknesses. Just because your Charge, Razr or Rezound works great for you, doesn't make it any better than another guys Galaxy, One X or GzOne. At least we're not stuck with one type of Android phone the way some people are stuck with one type of IPhone. Choice is a beautiful thing!
Just sayin.
BTW, the radio on my S3 is great. My signal is just as good if not better than all of my previous phones before it.

tap'n

skennelly

Reaction score
Well I'm currently using a s3 so I can make any comments about it I feel fit. I'm sorry if facts hurt u! I prefer htc phones yes. but I'm not going to go say things that are not true about other phones.

It doesn't bother me. My wife, two sisters, brother-in-law, and mother have all had HTCs. I'm not sure why they get the reputation that they are such a well built phone. The first time I ever held the evo I thought it felt very plasticy. My sister and her husband have the One-x now and IMO, it feels just like the evo. The little that I played with the one-x, I was not impressed. Nice phone, but nothing special. Not trying to argue, just my 2 cents. To each his own. :)

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

kparks

Reaction score
And u guys are trying to tell me this this has a good radio lmao yea ok.... Every time I go to use it I don't have service and this is only been like 2 days of me keeping track! And I'm in dc 4G should be lit up

ForumRunner_20120731_171121.png

ForumRunner_20120731_171137.png

ForumRunner_20120731_171216.png

meishkov

Reaction score
Man, coming from the OG to s3 is tough to take. I feel like I'm stuck, that I can't customize anything on this phone. Resolution should be wayyy higher than what it is, no option for that tho, only text size. I need a build.prop file !!!

It's a very nice phone no question, but far from amazing. Quick indeed, but Touchwiz sucks and does nothing but hold it back. Not sure if I should attempt to get back to my old setup or just give up and return it for a nexus. Those reception issues had me worried but at this point I'll surrender an extra bar of reception to get my freedom back !!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Man, coming from the OG to s3 is tough to take. I feel like I'm stuck, that I can't customize anything on this phone. Resolution should be wayyy higher than what it is, no option for that tho, only text size. I need a build.prop file !!!

It's a very nice phone no question, but far from amazing. Quick indeed, but Touchwiz sucks and does nothing but hold it back. Not sure if I should attempt to get back to my old setup or just give up and return it for a nexus. Those reception issues had me worried but at this point I'll surrender an extra bar of reception to get my freedom back !!

Have you tried using a custom launcher?

I used to be really into custom roms, but I just don't have the time for it any more. But surprisingly, I've found that between root and a solid custom launcher, I can do a heck of a lot to alleviate the desire to constantly flash new roms. I can freeze what I don't want to use, I can tweak a lot, and I can customize almost every aspect of the UI to my heart's content. None of it is a complete substitute for an unlocked bootloader and tons of developer support, but at the end of the day, it's really not all that bad either.

Signed,

A recovering rom-aholic

meishkov

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Have you tried using a custom launcher?

I used to be really into custom roms, but I just don't have the time for it any more. But surprisingly, I've found that between root and a solid custom launcher, I can do a heck of a lot to alleviate the desire to constantly flash new roms. I can freeze what I don't want to use, I can tweak a lot, and I can customize almost every aspect of the UI to my heart's content. None of it is a complete substitute for an unlocked bootloader and tons of developer support, but at the end of the day, it's really not all that bad either.

Signed,

A recovering rom-aholic

Yea I thought about that as I was goin thru the market lookin at all my old apps n noticed launcherpro. Just so many little things that'll take gettin used to I suppose. Just using my OG for 1 minute just now I'm like holy **** this screen is small hahaha. Just all the pointless bloatware on this thing adds insult to injury but rooting should be able to freeze those like u said. It's a very nice quality phone no doubt, but I guess just being in the android game and knowing how much can be done has spoiled me :)