Charge upgrade to S3 or Maxx

toperm

Reaction score
Ok folks, need help. I have been reading a lot here. S3 or Maxx? I need a good "radio". I live in a marginal signal area. I have a Charge. Sell me!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The linked discussion in the thread you posted over the MAXX forum gives a pretty good overview of the pros and cons between the two devices. Here's another good thread about reception on the S3 (especially versus Motorola devices) here in the S3 forum with several S3 users giving their experience - 4G not as good on S3.

solotristan

Reaction score
I had the Charge... I wanted that 4G.....went to the Bionic two months later.... Loved that phone and Motorola.. I bought the lap dock and all... Was a superb phone. beefs with the Charge was I wanted dual core..... Terrible gps.... Locked up on occasion. The have screen was great though and so was camera. Beefs with Bionic... Crappy camera... Screen was so so.... I thought about the RAZR Maxx.... But to similar to Bionic... I both the Galaxy 3 in store on opening day..... I have to say.... Hands down...THE BEST PHONE EVER!!!!!!!! This phone has it all.... Fast as he'll... Dual core... Camera is amazing g... Gps is superb... The IU on this is so amazing.... I can't describe it! I am get the damn Galaxy! I am telling you won't regret it. I have and trust me, and I have always been a Motor fanboy.... Coming from previously DROID 1, DROID X.... then Charge then Bionic..... The Galaxy S3.....now....Its amazing. I have period. Good luck on your choice.... But it's an easy one.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
If signal is important get the razr maxx hands down... I went from the Razr to the S3 and the motorola had a noticeably better 4g radio and better cell reception. The S3 is nice but honestly the most important thing I need my phone to be is a phone..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tc1

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between those two phones myself.

There are 3 or 4 people in my office that have some variant of the samsung galaxy series. None seem to get very good reception, although none are on Verizon or have a S3.

I had droid razr (thin version) and had awesome reception, wifi gps, blue tooth.

I bought the htc rezound because I fell for the hype of an HD screen.

It's not a bad phone but I'm seriously considering going back to a Droid razor. I actually like it's screen better, it's lower resolution but I prefer oled to slcd.

I've come to realize that HD on a phone is pointless for me, and I can only speculate that it needlessly eats more battery and cpu.

Parzec

Reaction score
Had a maxx and upgraded to the S3...haven't looked back. The S3 blows it out of the water.

mkstn

Reaction score
So there you go... Just like you I did not know which one to up-grade to. Both are really nice and and + & - about them. I went with the S3 simply because I like the BIG screen and speed. Also with a jelly case on it feels good in your hand. I hated the old Moto Rasor Flip phone because it was so hard to hold on to. For me too thin is not all that good other then when it is in your pocket! Look at both and get what feels and looks good for you! Both are great phones. :biggrin:

JPanelle11

Reaction score
Parzec please tell us more. I find your statement to be a bit outlandish. I have both phones and I use my Maxx more for various reasons. Only way I would drop my Maxx is if the S3 was running vanilla.

JPanelle11

Reaction score
Toperm wait 3 more months or four more for the slue of nexus devices! These two phones are great but better ones are around the corner!

wcjeep

Reaction score
Just spent last week in very bad service area with some friends. Had to use a Wilson booster to make calls. The Razr Maxx, Charge and my Nexus all had very similar signal level on my 3G Wilson Sleek. The Droid X2 had 10db more signal level on the booster. In great service area the Razr Maxx had a slightly faster speed and signal level than my Nexus.

Wife's new S3 is way beyond my Nexus. The signal level seems to be the same. However, her phone is faster and will hold 4G longer than my Nexus in marginal areas. Tango is clearer on her phone. Her phone also has a battery saver mode that works great. The Razr Maxx is also not capable of NFC. NFC tags are awesome. The S3 chipset is also alot faster than the Razr phones I've played with. The one thing the Maxx has is long battery life. The battery saver mode on the S3 will help close the battery gap.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
JPanelle11 said:
Toperm wait 3 more months or four more for the slue of nexus devices! These two phones are great but better ones are around the corner!

And then 3 to 4 more months after that their will be better phones out than the nexus devises. When it comes to phones If people keep waiting a couple more months to get something better than what is out now then people would never buy a phone.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
My 4g was dropping so bad on my new s3 that i called verizon for help...tried a new sim card(no help) and a factory reset...which didnt help...mind you im 2400 ft from. 4g tower all day at work and the phone switches between 3/4 g at least 30x a day...my razr never went off 4g....
So i called again next day...and tech told me to put the phone in safe mode...so i did and it never dropped 4g once after that until i left work and it held 4g about 3/4 mile after leaving..still not as good as the razr but way better....tech says a bad app is causing it...so i uninstalled all apps and added 1 by1.. i wont know success til tomorrow when im in 4g area...but as of when i left id restored half and phone hadnt dropped. 4g once...

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I will share here...i love the s3 wanted to keep it..safe mode....you reboot phone but when powering it up hold the power button down as it powers up..once your past the samsung screen let go and hold the volume down button until safe mode appears in the lower left of the screen right above menu button....in safe mode none of your installed apps will load...just preinstalled ones..i left mine in safe mode for 5hrs...phone is blazing fast in safe mode,battery life is awesome and rock steady 4g.....i loaded a few more apps last night ill see today what happens...enjoy safe mode web browsing...faster than any pc ive trid...

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I have a Bionic and love it, Moto fanboy here but IMHO id go with the S3. Its newer and puts down twice the speed and power of a MAXX when running on benchmarks which shows how awesome the S4 truly is.

Phone tech is hard to stay up with and buying a phone that's already on its 7th/8th month means its EOL is around the corner. The S3 will get JB in the next few months most likely, the MAXX probably won't until 2013 sometime and that's a BIG IF.

The MAXX has a few categories id consider it would win in, better battery, better build and radios but the S3 far weighs that all out. Get the S3.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums