S2 randomly restarting / draining the battery

droidghost

Reaction score
For the past month my S2, SPH-D710, Android 4.1.2, will randomly restart throughout the day. I took the battery out for awhile and that didn't change anything. Sometimes it happens when I'm looking at it, sometimes it will happen as soon as I plug it into a charger.. at which point it appears to completely drain the battery. Seems to be only one of my chargers though. Other charger is fine. There is no clear pattern to all this. These issues don't happen all the time. Sometimes I'll go through an entire day with no problem. Warranty expired on the phone. I have never installed a custom ROM on here. Is this something that might be fixed with a custom ROM or is it completely hardware?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Read very carefully. The E4GT was the first carrier branded S2 in the US. It suffers from a memory issue that could brick your phone if the proper steps are not taken when flashing ROMs to it.

There is a lot of information on XDA. I have most of the files, just no instructions on what to do with them.

As far as the phone itself, have you cleared the cache? Done a factory default reset?

I had one for about 5 months and used it with no issues.

OP
D

droidghost

Reaction score
"As far as the phone itself, have you cleared the cache? Done a factory default reset?"

Haven't tried that yet. Seems more like a hardware problem, but I can try.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
You could try buying a bunch of Samsung USB cables and see if you have the same issue when you use only Sammy cables.

P

promo87

Have you tired performing a factory reset or soft factory reset ?? :rolleyes: I would say as you are out of the warranty, so you can try experimenting a little :D try rooting your device and install a custom ROM for other developers like CyanogenMod, SlimeBean, etc... You can get a feel of latest ROM i.e. KitKat over your S2 if you want .... :cool:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Have you tired performing a factory reset or soft factory reset ?? :rolleyes: I would say as you are out of the warranty, so you can try experimenting a little :D try rooting your device and install a custom ROM for other developers like CyanogenMod, SlimeBean, etc... You can get a feel of latest ROM i.e. KitKat over your S2 if you want .... :cool:

Be very careful doing this!!!

The GS2 E4GT was the first S2 to be carrier branded in the US. It has some hardware issues you need to be aware of before trying to flash files to it. There is an EMMC issue that will brick your phone if you are not careful.

If you are going to go the custom ROM route, you need to read everything you can on XDA about it. They have tons of posts and information. I was no stranger to flashing when I got the phone, and I still had to read a bit.

Good luck!! Ask as many questions and I will be happy to answer them.

OP
D

droidghost

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback. In my case, there seemed to be no coming back from the dead. Tried the rice, tried a new battery, tried a hard reset. Nothing fixed it. Ended up getting a new phone.

P

promo87

Thanks everyone for your feedback. In my case, there seemed to be no coming back from the dead. Tried the rice, tried a new battery, tried a hard reset. Nothing fixed it. Ended up getting a new phone.
Wheww.... that was so sad :( but what I am happy about is now your having a new device enjoy it ! And yes let us know which device you have purchased now ??? Is this the same S2 or this time its something different.