[Rumor] Motorola Working on New Droid to Launch in Q4, 2014

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid_razr_eye_close_feature.png

It's been quite some time since Motorola brought forth any new tech. They definitely have avoided their previous history of spamming out devices, but the Moto G and Moto X were launched in the middle of last year. According to this latest rumor, it might be even longer before we see anything new from Moto, but when we do, it could be something worth taking notice of again.

Supposedly, Motorola is developing a new Droid model which will launch in the fourth quarter of this year. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Now, according to a tipster with a history of providing accurate information about Motorola, the Lenovo-owned company is working on a new DROID model for a fourth quarter release. The phone will use the next generation of Kevlar material, and will feature a larger screen ratio. That means that the glass on the handset will cover a larger portion of the front of the device.

We aren't sure just how accurate this intel is, but it wouldn't be too surprising if it came true. Motorola needs to build a new device to avoid getting too far behind in the game. Whether that is a new Moto X or a new Droid (or both) remains to be seen.

Source: PhoneArena

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Really looking forward to seeing if this rumor pans out. I love the Moto Droids

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
the MotoX is a nice size...if they can increase the screen size on the same footprint that's good news.

Otherwise, bump the ram and processor...and add an SD (now that Google is mostly out of the picture) and you have a huge hit.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's about time! Can't wait!! I hope they bring back the cool advertising that went along with the OG droids.

J

JohnDroid

the MotoX is a nice size...if they can increase the screen size on the same footprint that's good news.

Otherwise, bump the ram and processor...and add an SD (now that Google is mostly out of the picture) and you have a huge hit.

Agreed. I would say stick with stock Android as well, just with a nice theme that doesn't get in the way.

dja1980

Reaction score
My wife and I both moved from the OG Droid to the OG Razr to the Moto X, and I've got to say that I like the "happier" feel of the Moto line compared to the "robot" feel of the Droid line. I actually just ordered my Moto X on Monday under the $0.01 promo running at Moto Maker (thru 4/13), so I'm hoping to have my new phone early next week. My wife got hers about 2 weeks ago outside of the promo, so we missed the boat on hers. It was unfortunate to have to lose our unlimited data, but at least we got hooked up with the Loyalty Max unadvertised Verizon plans, so I at least feel that we are getting the best of both worlds ("free" phones and more data than we currently use for the same price).

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I was considering jumping ship to a Windows device.. I still might and have this upcoming device to fall back on..

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
"It's been quite some time since Motorola brought forth any new tech"

I take issue with that line. It should read: "
It's been quite some time since Motorola brought forth any new PHONE tech". Otherwise what is this Moto 360 thing I keep hearing about? ;)

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"It's been quite some time since Motorola brought forth any new tech"

I take issue with that line. It should read: "
It's been quite some time since Motorola brought forth any new PHONE tech". Otherwise what is this Moto 360 thing I keep hearing about? ;)

Well said LWA... of course I must point out that the Moto 360 is only announced. It hasn't technically been launched yet. ;)

Beardface

Reaction score
Here's a crazy idea... how bout working on updating your CURRENT devices, first

Got a Razr Maxx HD in late 2012, and the device has been completely and utterly ignored ever since. Still running the same OS since the day I bought it. Sure would be nice to have KitKat.

This is the second top of the line phone in a row I've gotten on Verizon that was completely ignored with Android updates. First was the HTC Thunderbolt and now this. From now on, I think I'm just going to go and buy straight from Google.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'm still holding out hope that Motorola will release a flagship device with a physical keyboard that actually rivals my Droid 4. So far none of the devices released have inspired me to give up my Droid 4. Even though some phones have amazing specs I'd lament not having a physical keyboard.

g_what

Reaction score
the Moto G and Moto X were launched in the middle of last year.

The Moto X was released in the middle of last year. The Moto G was late last year (November is not mid-year).

Just trying to keep the facts straight :laugh:

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
I'm waiting for them to release a flagship phone for Verizon. I went from the HTC one and to me the battery sucked and the phone was laggy. Traded it back to Verizon and got a Droid Maxx and am happy with it. Great battery, no lag and also no bugs. I'm happy with it. I was thinking about getting a Note 3 but when I had my Note 2 it had some bugs to it even when they sent me a refurbished one. To me Motorola, has the best radios. Slightly better than HTC. Think I'll wait and see what Motorola has to offer.