Motorola's 'Kinzie' Device Will be First Plastic YOUM 'Unbreakable' Display [Breaking - Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-YOUM-Flex-display.jpg

Just this morning we shared some slick news regarding what could be the new Motorola Droid device. A Moto device with the XT1585 model number and internal codename 'Kinzie' was rumored. We now have some breaking intel regarding that device.

According to anonymous insider sources from the supply chain, the Motorola Kinzie will have a unique 5.43" QHD YOUM display. Supposedly, it will be the first phone to utilize the full version of the plastic/glasstic lens, and will be marketed as the first unbreakable screen. Considering that Motorola was the first OEM to market a Kevlar case design, we can see them making a move like this.

If true, this poses some interesting questions regarding Samsung. Obviously the first instance of the YOUM display was in the Galaxy Note Edge and the new Galaxy S6 Edge. Does this mean that the version used in the Motorola device is a more advanced design? Will it be truly flexible? Is it just a marketing ploy by Motorola?

Even though this "rumint" brings up more questions than it answers, we can't wait to see of it is accurate. Stay tuned for more intel in the coming weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting. I think I might be willing to "break" the bank if this rumor is true. This could "shatter" the competition.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to sit on the sidelines for this one. Nice concept but want to see the device to determine its practical use. With that said, I am interested as it continues to push the industry forward.

squeak

Reaction score
I seriously doubt the device will be flexible. As much as I love the idea, I just don't see it happening right now. I really want a trifold device that can be used like a smartphone when folded and a tablet when unfolded, but I don't think it will happen for a few more years.

Amagine

Reaction score
I'm thinking probably wont be like the image shown but a traditional style phone with a more highly flexible screen that takes shocks and drops better. I would kind of like it if the screen had a bit of a give to it. Almost "Blackberry Storm"ish. Just a slight depression not a full out click.

That being said. I also kind of hope soon the watch will become more like the old school snap band bracelets, except with a full out display

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
5.43"?!?! The assault on one-handed use continues.

Although I don't think it's necessary to have "give" to be shatterproof, I'd have to test it because I'm not sure I'd like something with even a little give. Plus, less rigid "shatterpoof" has always meant more prone to scratches (because it's inherently softer).

Since I haven't had a phone shatter on me yet, I'd be more concerned about scratches.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hmmm. Interesting. I think I might be willing to "break" the bank if this rumor is true. This could "shatter" the competition.
Hahaha, he said "break" and "shatter"!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You know what I want to see... And I believe this is evidence it's coming? A photo that looks and feels like a developed and printed photo, but with the ability to change the image like a slide show or even display videos, but not anything more than the "paper" or print.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Please, for the love of god, can we stop using the term RUMINT? What was so wrong with the word RUMOR that we need to replace it?
:D

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
A flexible screen would remind me of the LG Voyager screen, of which I dropped many times, and didn't never EVER shatter.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Please, for the love of god, can we stop using the term RUMINT? What was so wrong with the word RUMOR that we need to replace it?
:D

As much as I tend to agree that I don't particularly like the "word" (term loosely describing what it is which is a blending of two other words), there is apparently a distinct difference between rumor and rumint. The distinction is that a rumor doesn't imply a lack of intelligence or intelligence, it is just something going around.

Rumint implies that there is some certain intelligence attached to the rumor, but that intelligence may have been obtained covertly and therefore can't be considered countable (i.e. intelligence agents, or spies, and interrogation - since sources can't be verified). So if I understand correctly the proper use would be where the rumor has some other at least quasi-credible evidence to back it, if not dubious veracity in its credibility, and yet no one who may be the source is willing to come forth publicly to substantiate the claims of credibility.

Given that the initial information was a rumor, but that there was then "intel", rumint is an appropriate use of the word to describe the information in the post. And given that the intel comes from "anonymous inside sources" (thereby uncountable), and if we call it a word - it is actually a more accurate word than rumor to describe the entire content.

rumint

English[edit]
RUMINT
Etymology[edit]
From rumor and intelligence; apparently a pun on HUMINT (where HUMINT is from human and intelligence)

Noun[edit]
rumint (uncountable)

(US) Information of dubious veracity, particularly when grounded in rumor
Synonyms[edit]
buzz

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, I know the difference but its not a "word" yet and, as such, rumor is still appropriate and is a word.

TapaTurbo