Famous Tipster Claims Motorola Bringing the First Moto Nexus Device in Q4 This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-nexus-coming-q4.png

It's the fabled myth of the smartphone industry, the unicorn of the mobile world... a Motorola Nexus phone, and it may be coming later this year. According to a late tweet yesterday from the famed Moto leaker Taylor Wimberly, Motorola is planning to launch a Motorola Nexus phone in the fourth quarter of this year, and it is NOT the Moto X.

As you can see in the snapshot of his G+ post above, he wasn't able to share any real details, other than a Q4 timeframe. Obviously we should take this as rumor for now, despite the fact that he has been spot on with a solid 80-90% of his intel. What do you guys think? Does this possibility completely change what you were considering purchasing for your next smartphone this year?

Source: Google+ - Taylor Wimberly

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think they are due to get one eventually.

After just releasing the X along with 3 nearly identical Droids, I wouldn't necessarily expect too much in 3-4 months. I don't think Nexus devices have necessarily been the very latest hardware, either. Maybe they bump the ram to 3gigs, possibly throw in an SD (which seems unlikely, ESPECIALLY on a Nexus device). Maybe a 13mp camera. I'd expect absolutely nothing earth shattering, or even all that compelling beyond this current crop. Well, it might be interesting to get vanilla Android on a VZW device (like the GNex).

As far as the processor, I think it would definitely be an refreshed X8 - but it's inconceivable to me that it would include a quad core, so probably just talking a little faster clock.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You know, sometimes I'm glad I'm a pisces because it means I get a preview of vibrations from the universe a day before the rest of the zodiac. Case in point, yesterday's rant:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...new-flagship-called-moto-x-2.html#post2458416

Relevant excerpt:

I'll happily put myself in the "disappointed" column, but I want to be 100% clear why (and why not).

...blah, blah...blah...

THAT is why I'm disappointed. I know and love Google, and this is not a Google phone. It's a "hey, let's add a few cool innovations" phone with a truckload of HYPE piled on the top. I'm not disappointed by the hype. I'm disappointed that Google didn't come close to what they're capable of. (And until anandtech or whoever demonstrates that the battery life, processing agility, and other new features are all that, as far as I'm concerned this is just more hype.)

EDIT: so yeah, I'm definitely guilty of unrealistic expectations. Or maybe that's not quite right -- I mean, look at the Glass project. IMAGINE a phone that had all the love and tender care that Google Glass is getting. I'm absolutely satisfied that Glass accurately reflects (uhoh, a pun) what Google can do. I've seen the demos and I'm also convinced that Google is not hyping Glass -- it actually is that good. Why not the same thing for a cell phone?

Oh lord please tell me THIS ^^^ is the droid we're looking for.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think they are due to get one eventually.

After just releasing the X along with 3 nearly identical Droids, I wouldn't necessarily expect too much in 3-4 months. I don't think Nexus devices have necessarily been the very latest hardware, either. Maybe they bump the ram to 3gigs, possibly throw in an SD (which seems unlikely, ESPECIALLY on a Nexus device). Maybe a 13mp camera. I'd expect absolutely nothing earth shattering, or even all that compelling beyond this current crop. Well, it might be interesting to get vanilla Android on a VZW device (like the GNex).

As far as the processor, I think it would definitely be an refreshed X8 - but it's inconceivable to me that it would include a quad core, so probably just talking a little faster clock.

Uhoh, sorry for bringing yesterday's discussion into this thread!!! Just tooting my own horn again. :icon_eek:

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
NP! Both convos are related so worth sharing multiple perspectives here. It would be amazing if this rumor turned out true, and the new Moto Nexus was a real and true "game changer." We shall just have to wait and see! Of course, we will be on top of this constantly to bring you any more info as soon as we know it.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
NP! Both convos are related so worth sharing multiple perspectives here. It would be amazing if this rumor turned out true, and the new Moto Nexus was a real and true "game changer." We shall just have to wait and see! Of course, we will be on top of this constantly to bring you any more info as soon as we know it.
Thanks for your graciousness (is that a word???) but the apology is aimed @kodiak799, who's had to endure an unusual number of long posts from me lately. :) Quoting myself just adds insult to injury.

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Goodness gracious(ness), will Moto and Google team up to deliver a superior Nexus device with some well thought out Glass-like touches? :happy3: Bigger question ....... Will Verizon carry the damn thing???????? :icon_eek:

Stay tuned, Bat, errr Moto, errr Nexus fans.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Does this possibility completely change what you were considering purchasing for your next smartphone this year?

Not unless the display is at least 5.5 inches! And I wonder if Moto even remembers how to produce a phone without a locked bootloader. It would seem it's muscle memory for them at this point.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll go on record saying if a Moto Nexus come out in Q4 it will basically be the Moto X with perhaps a faster cpu, maybe one or two other small tweaks, and finally off-contract at the much anticipated $300-$350. And 50/50 it's available on VZW.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bigger question ....... Will Verizon carry the damn thing???????? :icon_eek:

Based on past history, I think the answer is, unfortunately no. They've passed on a few nexus or "Google Experience" devices so why should we think they'll grab this one. They like the money they get from adding their bloatware to phones. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'll go on record saying if a Moto Nexus come out in Q4 it will basically be the Moto X with perhaps a faster cpu, maybe one or two other small tweaks, and finally off-contract at the much anticipated $300-$350. And 50/50 it's available on VZW.

I agree with everything you said minus it being available on Verizon. I find Verizon getting a 50/50 chance to have an unlocked Nexus device for $300-$350 is simply a pipe dream. I'd go 90/10 that Verizon doesn't get it and I even feel that's a generous estimate.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I find Verizon getting a 50/50 chance to have an unlocked Nexus device for $300-$350 is simply a pipe dream. I'd go 90/10 that Verizon doesn't get it and I even feel that's a generous estimate.

If Verizon passes on this device, I'm fairly certain that'll be the last straw for me. I've got to discuss options with the Mrs. of course, since we're on the same plan, but skipping out on the Nexus 5 is all the incentive I need to drop my unlimited data and hop on the T-Mobile train. Their coverage in my area is legit, and I won't pay too much (my opinion) to use a phone that I'm settling for, when I can simply leave to a carrier that has the device I want.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If Verizon passes on this device, I'm fairly certain that'll be the last straw for me. I've got to discuss options with the Mrs. of course, since we're on the same plan, but skipping out on the Nexus 5 is all the incentive I need to drop my unlimited data and hop on the T-Mobile train. Their coverage in my area is legit, and I won't pay too much (my opinion) to use a phone that I'm settling for, when I can simply leave to a carrier that has the device I want.

Remember, those unlimited plans are worth $$ on ebay. Sold my single unlim line for $200!