Famous Tipster Claims Motorola Bringing the First Moto Nexus Device in Q4 This Year

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It's the fabled myth of the smartphone industry, the unicorn of the mobile world... a Motorola Nexus phone, and it may be coming later this year. According to a late tweet yesterday from the famed Moto leaker Taylor Wimberly, Motorola is planning to launch a Motorola Nexus phone in the fourth quarter of this year, and it is NOT the Moto X.

As you can see in the snapshot of his G+ post above, he wasn't able to share any real details, other than a Q4 timeframe. Obviously we should take this as rumor for now, despite the fact that he has been spot on with a solid 80-90% of his intel. What do you guys think? Does this possibility completely change what you were considering purchasing for your next smartphone this year?

Source: Google+ - Taylor Wimberly

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    I think they are due to get one eventually.

After just releasing the X along with 3 nearly identical Droids, I wouldn't necessarily expect too much in 3-4 months. I don't think Nexus devices have necessarily been the very latest hardware, either. Maybe they bump the ram to 3gigs, possibly throw in an SD (which seems unlikely, ESPECIALLY on a Nexus device). Maybe a 13mp camera. I'd expect absolutely nothing earth shattering, or even all that compelling beyond this current crop. Well, it might be interesting to get vanilla Android on a VZW device (like the GNex).

As far as the processor, I think it would definitely be an refreshed X8 - but it's inconceivable to me that it would include a quad core, so probably just talking a little faster clock.

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    You know, sometimes I'm glad I'm a pisces because it means I get a preview of vibrations from the universe a day before the rest of the zodiac. Case in point, yesterday's rant:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...new-flagship-called-moto-x-2.html#post2458416

Relevant excerpt:

Oh lord please tell me THIS ^^^ is the droid we're looking for.

-Matt

• Like Like x 2
  4. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Uhoh, sorry for bringing yesterday's discussion into this thread!!! Just tooting my own horn again. :icon_eek:

-Matt

5. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    NP! Both convos are related so worth sharing multiple perspectives here. It would be amazing if this rumor turned out true, and the new Moto Nexus was a real and true "game changer." We shall just have to wait and see! Of course, we will be on top of this constantly to bring you any more info as soon as we know it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Thanks for your graciousness (is that a word???) but the apology is aimed @kodiak799, who's had to endure an unusual number of long posts from me lately. :) Quoting myself just adds insult to injury.

-Matt

• Like Like x 1
  7. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    time is always on my side :)

8. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    LOL! I am sure he doesn't mind. You always add well thought out and logical points to the discussion "GR."

Also, yes... graciousness is a word: Graciousness - Synonyms and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

• Like Like x 1
  9. kevsgroove

kevsgroove Active Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Goodness gracious(ness), will Moto and Google team up to deliver a superior Nexus device with some well thought out Glass-like touches? :happy3: Bigger question ....... Will Verizon carry the damn thing???????? :icon_eek:

Stay tuned, Bat, errr Moto, errr Nexus fans.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    Does this possibility completely change what you were considering purchasing for your next smartphone this year?

Not unless the display is at least 5.5 inches! And I wonder if Moto even remembers how to produce a phone without a locked bootloader. It would seem it's muscle memory for them at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    I'll go on record saying if a Moto Nexus come out in Q4 it will basically be the Moto X with perhaps a faster cpu, maybe one or two other small tweaks, and finally off-contract at the much anticipated $300-$350. And 50/50 it's available on VZW.

12. jkaod

jkaod Gold Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Bigger question ....... Will Verizon carry the damn thing???????? :icon_eek:

Based on past history, I think the answer is, unfortunately no. They've passed on a few nexus or "Google Experience" devices so why should we think they'll grab this one. They like the money they get from adding their bloatware to phones. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Search tags for this page

nexus 5 motorola taylor dgstorm