Rubix vs Apex

Inkarnit

Reaction score
Different phones will have different results with different roms. Not all phones will run exactly the same even if they are on the same rom.
Your mileage may vary.

You absolutely cannot apply the overclocking potential of a CPU being different on any particular phone verses other identical phones to that of ROMS running differently on different phones.

If all variables are held constant, Rubix 1.0 literally blows Apex 1.0 out of the water. That is how I tested them. I'm talking same identical everything except for the ROM. This is the only way to get an accurate portrayal of the performance differences.

I didn't pay attention to battery life, but one person says Rubix is better and the other says Apex. Who knows?

My battery life on RubiX is maybe 15% better than stock. I think the amount of battery increase people see will depend on how much blur they used prior to installing.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TVC430

Reaction score
I agree, I forgot to mention that my battery life on Apex is a lot better than stock. It is also the first ROM that is as stable as stock that I have used. I have not had any FC issues or reboots. Do you feel the same way about RubiX? Apex is very clean and bloat free. I was originally going to try RubiX last week, but saw Apex and loaded it instead. If you have tried both, what themes play nice with RubiX??

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I agree, I forgot to mention that my battery life on Apex is a lot better than stock. It is also the first ROM that is as stable as stock that I have used. I have not had any FC issues or reboots. Do you feel the same way about RubiX? Apex is very clean and bloat free. I was originally going to try RubiX last week, but saw Apex and loaded it instead. If you have tried both, what themes play nice with RubiX??

RubiX is at least as stable as stock. I've had no issues at all. The thread for RubiX had the themes that work listed there.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I found Rubix to be even faster with Launcher Pro installed and the Launcher2 removed. Same with ADW. Unless someone happens bad in Rubix, I won't be using any other ROM any time soon.

OP
L

luv2increase

Reaction score
I have not had any FC issues or reboots. Do you feel the same way about RubiX?

I've honestly never experienced random reboots besides when on the stock 2.1 that came on the phone. They were the most annoying thing in the world, and I was about to return my phone due to the fact I'm a salesman and on the phone all the time. Haven't had any reboots since I flashed the first leaked 2.2 the day it came out.

The only FC problem on Rubix I know of is the battery stats. I never ever open that anyway so it isn't a problem with me.

Alex.DF

Reaction score
I've used both Rubix and Apex for a few days now (had Rubix for two days, installed Apex yesterday), and I've gotta say I prefer Apex so far. I do think Rubix was just a little bit faster, but other than that it had a few problems that led me to try out Apex:

- AOSP camera app isn't as good/nice looking as the Blur camera app, even after you patch it so you can use 8 MP resolution
- Google Search on hardware key isn't up to date, so you can't hold Search key down to activate voice commands; even if you update to the new Google Search, it won't come up when you press the hardware key
- 3G Hotspot missing
- For some reason, I couldn't access my SD card through ADB Shell at all... only through terminal emulators
- Cell standby incorrect
- Music controls don't appear on lock screen
- No speed dials
- 20% increment battery icon, and I don't particularly like how it looks on the bar, either

Haven't had any of these problems on Apex yet. Also, I like the custom scripts that make switching apps, as well as removing apps, very easy. Greatly prefer the Apex experience so far.

randroid123

Reaction score
I ran rubix for a week and am now on ApeX 1.0... I ran Rubix at 1.2 ghz and now ApeX at the same... I was able to get 1.3 ghz to work more stable on Rubix but I dont remember what voltage I was cranking... It may have been high 70's =/... at 1.2 ghz Rubix may be marginally faster but I think the difference is only noticable when running benchmarks... as far as launcher speed they are both quick... I just learned how important it is to have your preffered launcher installed to the system so I just put launcher pro in there and deleted all the other launchers... after a little tweaking with the Dalvik Cache and the voltages and frequencies set the way I want it I think ApeX may actually be faster but the Dalvik Cache at 62m is definitley reducing my benchmark...

The kicker for me is the yahoo mail and google email client issue... u need to have the paid yahoo account to make your yahoo account work on rubix since it uses the aosp google email client... blur allows for yahoo email probably due to a deal struck between motorola and yahoo... ApeX retains this blur email client and so even with the old AOSP email app, yahoo is still coming through just fine...

I did A LOT of searching in the past about the rubiX yahoo issue and if your having the issue, the only solution besides heavily modifying the rom is to pay the 20 dollars a year for yahoo... no thanks. ApeX is plenty fast for me! :):icon_ banana::)

GoldenGreg

Reaction score
I do not see ANY difference in speed between either. Since Apex does more with exchange, yahoo support, thats pretty good.
I would agree with Alex on the negatives of Rubix and add:
No exchange Support (to be expeced being non-blur)
I am a voice search addict so +1 there on Rubix missing it.
i am seeing slow unlock on rubix too some times, so i guess every droid is diferent so everyone should try both.
Basically Apex, for me at least, offers better compatiblity with identical speeds.

msburr87

Reaction score
I've tried them all and am on zapx rc2.. rubix = zapx but both > then apex. Its personal preference of what you want. Fission is the fastest by a mile (but very bare and finicky but still very good), apex was good for theming with fabs roms while maintaining good speed, rubix is solid all around, same with zapx.

Zap x is what im staying with because it plays well with every launcher, while mainting blazing speeds. It has NO bugs, unlike every other rom which has had at least a few minor annoyences. Also it keeps the good blur that makes the phone operate seemlessly.

cpjr

Reaction score
I havent tried Apex yet, however Im running Rubix 1.0 OC'ed to 1.45ghz @ medium voltage and the phone SCREAMS, no FC's or issues at all aside from a couple minor ROM glitches.

snoop5

Reaction score
This may be in wrong spot but ive tried both and they both are good but for my DX the Tranquility 2.3.9 runs the fastest and smoothest with better battery im overclocked to 1350 with voltage at 62 with no fc its good for me anyway. dancedroid

GTvert90

Reaction score
Randroid123
What do you gain by installing ADW or LP to system? Will they still update via market? And how do you do that? Thanks

Sent from my Droid X w/ Fission via Tapatalk

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I just learned how important it is to have your preffered launcher installed to the system so I just put launcher pro in there and deleted all the other launchers... after a little tweaking with the Dalvik Cache and the voltages and frequencies set the way I want it I think ApeX may actually be faster but the Dalvik Cache at 62m is definitley reducing my benchmark...

I got nervous about deleting the TranQ launcher. If LP+ would die, I read that you would need to do a restore from a backup.

How much difference is there when LP+ and TranQ launcher are both running?

OP
L

luv2increase

Reaction score
Tranquility is probably the weakest excuse of a ROM available for the DX right now. If it works for you though, more power to you I guess.

I FORGOT TO MENTION!
I've ran the folllowing code a few days after my Rubix installation. I guess I may be basing my feelings off a tweaked Rubix vs Apex.

If you have Rubix, run the following code and then put on your dirty shades :)

$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
# chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/01cpuod
# chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/02vm
# busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d

You only need to run it once. Drod mentioned this at XDA but may not have here. It will increase performance and battery life!