replace Droid Pro Screen and Digitizer

dline51

Reaction score
Recently dropped the Droid Pro and the screen is cracked in about 10 places. I ordered a replacement glass screen and digitizer, and now cannot find any documentation / videos on how to replace the screen. the folks at Verizon were no help and although the phone is less than 1 yr old, Motorola doesnt cover drops in the warranty.

I don't want to break the guts of the phone or the motherboard, etc. I've successfully taken off the back casing, but want a more expert walk through of next steps. Please help!

Thanks!

tennvol

Reaction score
Don't think the warranty covers damage from a drop.

Maybe if the screen went dead from normal usage.

Curious if you had the phone in a case or rubber shell. I love the slim form factor but the phone was too slick for me to use naked.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
D

dline51

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys! The Pro did not have any sort of protective case. I actually had ordered an Otterbox a few days prior, very poor timing! I bought a replacement screen from repairsuniverse and it seemed to be pretty straightforward, but after taking thw case off I am afraid of breaking core components on the motherboard, etc trying to get to the outer screen.

Does anyone know of any videos of Pro take-aparts? I couldn't find anything, anywhere on youtube or Bing searches.

Thanks folks!

OP
D

dline51

Reaction score
Backnblack, thanks for the video link. for some reason I searched and searched and searched on all those terms and nothing like that.

davinci27

Reaction score
Those videos don't show how to get the digitizer. How do you actually remove the digitizer itself. I am assuming it is glued to the body, but how do you remove the glue and reuse it?

rza49311

Reaction score
Those videos don't show how to get the digitizer. How do you actually remove the digitizer itself. I am assuming it is glued to the body, but how do you remove the glue and reuse it?

Good question. I need to do the same. I just ordered the replacement digitizer(wife dropped her phone/screen shattered) but didn't think about the tape/glue. I'm going to try to use a hair dryer to soften it then remove/re-use.

google123

Reaction score
I believe the new digitizer will include include glue on it and you just have to peel all the old stuff off and clean the surface. Should anyway.

rza49311

Reaction score
I believe the new digitizer will include include glue on it and you just have to peel all the old stuff off and clean the surface. Should anyway.

thanks, i'll post back whether it does or not. Its out for delivery now.

rza49311

Reaction score
Ok, I got the new digitizer and installed it Friday night. I ordered it from repairsuniverse and it did NOT come with new adhesive. I should have looked closer but I was in a hurry to order. I will have to buy some and take the phone apart again because I'm not confident in the adhesive and I must have covered something because the proximity sensor is not working right. Whenever you dial a number, the screen immediately goes black and won't come back on until the call is completely ended. :mad:

kevozworld

Reaction score
I just bought an Incredible 2. I can just sell you my Droid Pro. I've only used it for like a month and a half.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums App

rza49311

Reaction score
I just bought an Incredible 2. I can just sell you my Droid Pro. I've only used it for like a month and a half.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums App

naa, i put a flash light on the sensor and I can see its partially covered. One more teardown and some new adhesive should fix it. Adhesive should arrive tomorrow.

rza49311

Reaction score
son of a....

got the adhesive, installed it with no problems, put the phone back together and powered it on. everything worked perfectly except there was this faint grey spot near the bottom of the screen. I took it apart one more time to check all connections then put it back together. NOW I HAVE NO F'N SCREEN. It lights up and you can hear of the all sounds but there's no video. Did I miss something or has a piece of hardware gone south on me?

rza49311

Reaction score
son of a....

got the adhesive, installed it with no problems, put the phone back together and powered it on. everything worked perfectly except there was this faint grey spot near the bottom of the screen. I took it apart one more time to check all connections then put it back together. NOW I HAVE NO F'N SCREEN. It lights up and you can hear of the all sounds but there's no video. Did I miss something or has a piece of hardware gone south on me?

Everything appears to work but the screen. I can hit stuff and it registers even though I can't see the screen. It lights up but nothing is there. Bad LCD?