Would a new Digitizer fix my Motorola Droid Pro touch screen?

dejayXYZ

Reaction score
I dropped my recently purchased Droid Pro in the toilet. (owned, right??) I pulled it out quickly and read to put it in rice for a bit. So I did, and now it works but the left half of the screen does not work. All the lights work, the sound is still good. Just when I try to slide my "lock-bar" to the right, my touch does not register to the phone. When I slide the silent speaker bar, it goes about half away across the screen and stops registering..

So my question is.. Would just simply buying a new digitizer fix my touch screen?

I have no phone insurance, and I will be checking this post frequently. Thanks for any help, my fellow droid users.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I dropped my recently purchased Droid Pro in the toilet. (owned, right??) I pulled it out quickly and read to put it in rice for a bit. So I did, and now it works but the left half of the screen does not work. All the lights work, the sound is still good. Just when I try to slide my "lock-bar" to the right, my touch does not register to the phone. When I slide the silent speaker bar, it goes about half away across the screen and stops registering..

So my question is.. Would just simply buying a new digitizer fix my touch screen?

I have no phone insurance, and I will be checking this post frequently. Thanks for any help, my fellow droid users.
I know you're going to get a thousand questions about "how in the heck did you do that"? I feel for you, I've done it twice...long story.

Anyway, even if a new digitizer would fix your problem, and assuming you can get one, do you have the expertise to replace the old one?

OP
D

dejayXYZ

Reaction score
I have experience with taking older phones apart. I am also really good with computer and laptop hardware. But with an actual droid, no. I do not have any expertise. Do you know what sort of shops or electronic repair places could be willing to do it? Like if maybe Verizon has a repair store? Something like that. I remember Sprint and AT&T having those. I have not been able to really find one for Verizon.

-Thank you for your reply.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
There are a whole mess of videos on YouTube that detail how to take the Droid APART, but I haven't been able to find any showing how to put it back together again once you put the new screen in. You could reverse the process, but I have a feeling you'd need to buy adhesive and additional screws (apparently they strip easily), and that little copper thing on the back of the phone too.

Fortunately, the one time I had any kind of water damage (applying the ZAGG InvisibleShield - wound up with moisture behind the screen), it dried out on its own and the touch screen is fully functional. Phew.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have experience with taking older phones apart. I am also really good with computer and laptop hardware. But with an actual droid, no. I do not have any expertise. Do you know what sort of shops or electronic repair places could be willing to do it? Like if maybe Verizon has a repair store? Something like that. I remember Sprint and AT&T having those. I have not been able to really find one for Verizon.

-Thank you for your reply.
Like Laur3nNewm4n says, it's not much of a mystery how to get one apart, putting it back together with every thing working is the trick. I tried to put a laptop back together once...never worked again.

I'd recommend taking the phone to Verizon and see what options they give you. They may be able to send it out for repair, repair in store (doubt that) or worst case, charge you for a refurbished phone and away you go.