1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone successfully replace TBolt Digitizer and LCD?

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Tech Support' started by Mbk, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

My daughter dropped her TBolt and cracked the digitizer glass and the LCD also cracked...so I ordered both parts off eBay and replaced them...however, upon reboot the screen looks great but the touch screen doesn't function correctly. The home keys at the bottom don't function and the touch screen works only intermittently...

Anyone have suggestions or ideas where it may be going wrong?
  2. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

LOL... so I guess that means nobody??... bummers, guess gotta rebuild it a couple more times to see if I missed something. Might just be a bad digitizer and already did send email to the eBayer to see if he will send me another. Was just seeing if anyone ever had this happen and knew what it might be... thanks anyways.
  3. DaleBin

DaleBin New Member

Digitizer replaced on Thunderbolt

Yes, I too have experienced the same problems. I bought a digitizer off Amazon, no luck. Bought one from Repair Universe and no luck. Menu buttons don't work (Home, Menu, Back, etc) and screen doesn't respond well or at all. Yes, I did reseat ribbon several times and tried everything else. I am about to send in to HTC.
  4. Esk58

Esk58 New Member

Did you guys ever get this resolved? I'm interested to know what happened. I have a Thunderbolt with a cracked screen. I replaced the screen and the touch function is off. The menu buttons work but some parts of the touch screen dont work. I ended up replacing the digitizer as well thinking that would help but I still get the same result. I'm thinking there is an issue with the screen I purchased and not the digitizer. Any ideas?
  5. Johnw

Johnw New Member

I would double check the ribbon cables that are attached on the side to the motherboard. One of them is for the digitizer and the other is for the LCD. Make sure the digitizer one is fully attached.

I just replaced my cracked screen with a digitizer/lcd combo for $70. It worked perfectly after install so I know it can be done...
  6. rooster8d

rooster8d New Member

Same issue here

Let me know if you found a resolution because I am having the same problem.
    Thanks
  7. Jhen80

Jhen80 New Member

It's sounds like you didn't transfer the strip on the back of the home keys

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums
  8. rooster8d

rooster8d New Member

Update

I have tried 3 different digitizers and have had the same problem with all 3. The second digitizers touch response worked fine at first, but the menu buttons on the bottom did not. Eventually the whole digitizer was unresponsive. The 3rd digitizer worked for a few minutes and became completely unresponsive. I bought 3 different digitizers from three different merchants, which were all OEM parts. The funny thing, I installed the original cracked digitizer and it works fine. So, why can I install 3 brand new digitizers that fail, then install the old one and it works fine, other than it being cracked. Weird that there isn't a solution to this somewhere.
  9. rooster8d

rooster8d New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by, "the strip on the back of the home keys." Could you please elaborate? Thanks
  10. rawkus

rawkus New Member

rooster, the thunderbolt's come with a white film that sit on top of the lcd. im in the same boat as you but i have one last trick up my sleeve. I'll let you know if it works.
  11. rooster8d

rooster8d New Member

No solution

After receiving my fourth digitizer it worked. This leads me to believe that the TB replacement digitizers have a high failure rate. I will not be repairing anymore thunderbolts from now on.
  12. rawkus

rawkus New Member

I concur.
  13. davebomba

davebomba New Member

Just the Digitizer?

Are you replacing the Digitzer only? I've done this and keep running into the same problem as you. After looking around different forums, this is very common. The better way to go is to replace both the digitizer and lcd together. You can buy them already mated together so none of the padding/adhesive work is shaky. Is this what you're doing?
  14. doc.alxander

doc.alxander New Member

Did you try the cache?

I don't know where I heard of it but sometimes empty the dalvick cache helps resolves digitizer issues, but I can agree that you should just replace both at once to save time and issues.
  15. eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton New Member

It could have been from many different things. Did you make sure that the digitizer wire wasnt in a bind. Use a q tip and a little alchohol and clean the ribbon where it connects. May have solved your issue. I have replaced 7 dfferent ones for friends and family. Worked everytime accept the last time and the alchohol and q tip procedure fixed the issue. Glad you have it fixed though.
Search tags for this page
how to replace digitizer on htc thunderbolt
how to replace htc thunderbolt digitizer
how to replace htc thunderbolt screen
htc thunderbolt digitizer

htc thunderbolt digitizer replacement

htc thunderbolt lcd and digitizer

htc thunderbolt lcd and digitizer replacement
htc thunderbolt lcd replacement
htc thunderbolt lcd screen and digitizer
htc thunderbolt replacement screen and digitizer

htc thunderbolt screen replacement