Anyone successfully replace the Screen/Digitizer Assembly?

TyrantII

Reaction score
Bought a A855 digitizer off Amazon and going to replace mine soon. Gorilla glass is awesome, but it's always that one drop out of 999 others that does it in, and my screen gave way.

Just wondering on tips and tricks. How hard was it, and anything I should know before disassembling the phone?

sajgel

Reaction score
FYI. It is a real pain to get the OG Droid apart. You need a heat gun, special screwdriver-i think T0(zero)-and LOTS of patience. When I did it I actually broke the screen connector on the main circuitboard. If you try BE VERY CAREFUL.

OP
T

TyrantII

Reaction score
T5 torx screwdriver.

I will, and I know time is a virtue with electronics this small. Those ribbon cables can be a real PITA if you're not careful.

OP
T

TyrantII

Reaction score
You weren't kidding. There was a little more to it then the video's (glue, glue and more glue plus some foam), and the LCD was attached differently (I just skipped taking it off, only needed to replace the digitizer).

But after all was said and done my OG Droid is like new and working properly without a gigantic spiderweb across the screen.

IMG_8083.jpg

Prob will do a little write up later, since it seems all the info is spread out and thin.

Last edited: