Razr Frequent restart problems

shantanil

Reaction score
This is my first post in this forum. Any help appreciated.

I am absolutely new to the world of Android and its related processes. Recently I got a Motorola Razr (Indian Version) which was on stock ROM that is GB 2.3.6. After playing with it for a few days I decided to search for an OTA update of the firmware. There was one available and I opted to download it OTA. However, at that time my cell was on roaming and the download did not start. In the meantime, my brother tried to Root the cell and I am not sure if he succeeded because there was no Superuser app in the apps tray. He also downloaded and installed the rootkeeper app. Later on when I reached home the OTA update continued and installed ICS but ever since then, it has been restarting the moment one tries to do something with any apps or with emails.
It also restarts sometimes in the middle of a call and goes on starting and stopping for an eternity, before it is able to start properly. Seeing this I rooted the cell using one of the ICS rooting methods and then, first installed the MIUI ROM followed by the Arctic ROM. But the problem persists and I am fed up with it. Its out of warranty. Guys, I sincerely need your help. Please tell me what to do.

One more thing that I have just noticed. I am not able to copy anything to my external memory card mounted on the phone via USB

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I assume that with your rooting ect. That you have done a factory data reset? That has been the surest way of clearing up any issues caused by ICS. One you've done that, we could explore more of the problem persists. Some of the rooting pros may know more about if it had anything to do with the failed root attempt.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
shantanil said:
This is my first post in this forum. Any help appreciated.

I am absolutely new to the world of Android and its related processes. Recently I got hold of a second hand Motorola Razr (Indian Version) which was on stock ROM that is GB 2.3.6. After playing with it for a few days I decided to search for an OTA update of the firmware. There was one available and I opted to download it OTA. However, at that time my cell was on roaming and the download did not start. In the meantime, my brother tried to Root the cell and I am not sure if he succeeded because there was no Superuser app in the apps tray. He also downloaded and installed the rootkeeper app. Later on when I reached home the OTA update continued and installed ICS but ever since then, it has been restarting the moment one tries to do something with any apps or with emails.
It also restarts sometimes in the middle of a call and goes on starting and stopping for an eternity, before it is able to start properly. Seeing this I rooted the cell using one of the ICS rooting methods and then, first installed the MIUI ROM followed by the Arctic ROM. But the problem persists and I am fed up with it. Its out of warranty. Guys, I sincerely need your help. Please tell me what to do.

Shantanil

Welcome to DF shantanil! Hopefully we can help. There is a whole lot that has been done to this phone in a short time. I think the best thing to try to do is get it to stock but that will be a process. Have you done any factory data resets? Each time you install a new rom, an fdr should be done to avoid conflicts. I think the first thing to try is doing an fdr, then proceed from there. Someone else (Sydman... hint, hint) might have better ideas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
S

shantanil

Reaction score
Thanks for the superfast reply guys. Yes, I have done FDRs many times but the problem still persists. 3G is weak in my area, and I read in some pages that a weak signal can cause frequent reboots, so I have changed my network mode to '2G only'. That has actually reduced the number of reboots a wee bit but has not eliminated the problem altogether. And another thing that I just found out and added to the first post is that I am not able to copy anything to my external memory card mounted on the phone via USB. This can be done perfectly well with a card reader however.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My next step would be to go back to stock rom, and do another fdr. What method was used to root?

The copying to the SD card via USB may be due to not having a proper USB data cable, USB drivers need to be updated on the PC, or the phone not being in mass storage mode.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, so the problems you are experiencing are as a result of problems compounded by both a failed attempt at a 100% successful root, followed by the partial installations of several versions of ROMs, including the OTA, then MIUI ROM followed by the Arctic ROM. The first thing we need to know is exactly what version of phone this is. If you are in India (or have an Indian version), there is the possibility that one or more of the ROMs you installed are incorrect for your particular model, and also that the rooting method used was not compatible with your model. There are slight but important differences between various models of the RAZR and RAZR MAXX issued in different parts of the world, due to trade restrictions, copyrights and patents, communication protocols, radio frequency restrictions and a plethora of other potential reasons you and I may never know.

I will be posting two photos below. These are of my <menu>, <settings>, <about phone> screen. I want you to compare what you see on my screen captures with yours and I want you to post what is DIFFERENT, by typing in what you see on your phone that doesn't match mine. This way I can begin to understand exactly what you have and can make the proper recommendations. Once we are sure what model you have, we'll have to look for the proper ROM to take you back to stock. I believe you have the Moto Razr xt910 India version, and the current software version is 65.1.40.XT910.AsiaRetail.en.03, and the Android version is Gingerbread 2.3.6. Unfortunately the versions of the Droid RAZR Utilities below will not work for that phone. If it is in fact a Verizon XT912, then they will work but I highly doubt it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...1-6-now-contains-6-12-181-fastboot-files.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html

The links below (from XDA-Developers by way of Mod2Xtreme.com) are for the Asian versions of the phone. Once I am confident what model you have, we may be ready to go with one of those. It would also be helpful to know who your cellular carrier is (i.e. Verizon Wireless for me in the USA).

[Fastboot Files] Razr XT910 for ASIA Countries, UAE, Australia, Israel & South Africa

Supported Countries list : http://md2x.com/?vM

ANDROID 2.3.6
Quote:
ASIA OPERATOR / HK/TW ( 65.1.40.XT910.AsiaRetail.en.03 )
SPDIRD-40_ASIA_OPT_1C.91P_CFC_P2B_Signed.xml.zip

ASIA RETAIL ( 65.1.40.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03 )
SPDIRD-40_ASIA_RT_1C.91P_CFC_P2B_Signed.xml.zip

AUSTRALIA OPTUS ( 65.1.40.XT910.Optus.en.AU )
SPDIRD-40_AUS_OPT_1C.91P_CFC_P2B_Signed.xml.zip

ISRAEL OPERATOR ( 65.1.40.XT910.Retail.en.IL )
SPDIRD-40_IL_OPT_1C.91P_CFC_P2B_Signed.xml.zip

MEA RETAIL ( 65.1.40.XT910.MERetail.en.06 )
SPDIRD-40_MEA_RT_1C.91P_CFC_P2B_Signed.xml.zip

GOOD NEWS

Finally, Razr XT910 xml fastboot for Asia & there rest of other countries has been tracked down ....

Screen shot 2012-08-21 at 12.49.33 PM.png

(Click image above to enlarge, and then find your phone)

DOWNLOAD:-
1. SPYDERIRD_U.01.26.0_SPD-IRD-21_SIGN_ASIA_Retail_HKTW
2. SPYDERIRD_U.01.26.0_SPD-IRD-21_SIGN_ASIA_OPERATOR
3. SPYDERIRD_U.01.26.0_SPD-IRD-21_SIGN_MEA_Retail

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thank you FoxKat for helping with this major rescue attempt! No way I could do all of that up there ^^^ by myself.

THANK YOU!

OP
S

shantanil

Reaction score
Totally agree with everyone about Foxkat. Thanks a ton for taking the pains to write such an elaborate reply. Just wish to tell you that the OTA ROM that I installed on my Razr was the Official ICS ROM. Before its installation, when I was on the GB ROM everything was working perfectly, including the Memory Card transfer issue. I will however, try and give you all the data that you have asked for. However, I do not see the pictures that you referred to.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I believe these are the screen shots he meant to include. If you could go into your settings, about phone and post the screen shot or give us the details, it would help immensely.

ForumRunner_20120821_141644.png

ForumRunner_20120821_141705.png

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I believe these are the screen shots he meant to include. If you could go into your settings, about phone and post the screen shot or give us the details, it would help immensely.

View attachment 54931

View attachment 54932

Thanks, Tis...got sidetracked! You're the GREATEST!! Luv ya lots! :hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you FoxKat for helping with this major rescue attempt! No way I could do all of that up there ^^^ by myself.

THANK YOU!

Holy crap foxkat! You are the freaking master. We're not worthy.... We're not worthy!

Totally agree with everyone about Foxkat. Thanks a ton for taking the pains to write such an elaborate reply. Just wish to tell you that the OTA ROM that I installed on my Razr was the Official ICS ROM. Before its installation, when I was on the GB ROM everything was working perfectly, including the Memory Card transfer issue. I will however, try and give you all the data that you have asked for. However, I do not see the pictures that you referred to.

:rofl3::rofl3::laugh:

Thanks guys and gal, but it's nothing...really! It comes from experience, trial and error and a bit of the remains of egg on my face from one or more fails in the past (we learn more from our failures than from our accomplishments). Still, you are great players, Tis and Josh are both tremendously helpful and I am proud to call them part of my "team" (even if unofficial :)). We've built a tremendous group of SMods, Mods, RS (Rescue Squad), and even basic members (hate that word...basic, there's nothing basic about Josh!) Without all of you, this couldn't work. DF needs you guys and gals, and it's the community as a whole that makes this a great forum...dare I say, the best RAZR forum out there. :hail:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
FoxKat said:
Thanks, Tis...got sidetracked! You're the GREATEST!! Luv ya lots! :hail:

NP! Happy to do a little something, lol! Love ya lots too, my man!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
FoxKat said:
:rofl3::rofl3::laugh:

Thanks guys and gal, but it's nothing...really! It comes from experience, trial and error and a bit of the remains of egg on my face from one or more fails in the past (we learn more from our failures than from our accomplishments). Still, you are great players, Tis and Josh are both tremendously helpful and I am proud to call them part of my "team" (even if unofficial :)). We've built a tremendous group of SMods, Mods, RS (Rescue Squad), and even basic members (hate that word...basic, there's nothing basic about Josh!) Without all of you, this couldn't work. DF needs you guys and gals, and it's the community as a whole that makes this a great forum...dare I say, the best RAZR forum out there. :hail:

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

MrSimurghify

Reaction score
Dear FoxKat! I'll be very grateful if you could please help me with my problem too. I am probably experiencing the same problem that "shantanil" has recently described. I also got my Motorola Razr Maxx XT910 (Indian Version) which was on stock ROM that is GB 2.3.6 and I also decided to search for an OTA update of the firmware. And I updated on one of the Retail EU ICS versions using RSD Lite. But after this update I have problems with cellular network. So I suppose that the ROM I have installed is incorrect for my model. I've also rooted my phone so there's also possibility that the rooting method I used was not compatible with my model. You asked "shantanil" to post screenshots of phone information so that you would be able to make the proper recommendations. Here are screenshots of current info about my phone.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg