OTA update failed

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
I tried installing the OTA update last night and it will download but wont install...i am rooted but have not removed any bloat...i did uninstall a couple preinstalled apps, but that was before i was rooted and it let me uninstall them juzt through the app drawer and long clicking on them...since then i rooted it, didnt uninstall ANYTHING (i just rooted a couple days ago) and i installed voodoo OTA rootkeeper and temporarily unrooted it using that app so i guess its temporarily unrooted, but it keeps saying update failed when trying to install! Any ideas?

pinoy_92

Reaction score
try to download the update again. i think it might have been corrupted.

T1125P

Reaction score
Hello, I to am having problems, well my phone is rooted but I uninstalled some of the bloatware, I just didn't want, hell it's my phone I don't need the crap I don't want. Anyway now it seems I need to have the factory ROM that the phone came with, or I can't update my phone. Does anyone here have it so I can just go back to when my phone was new all the bloatware apps etc? Will it be easy to do?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hello, I to am having problems, well my phone is rooted but I uninstalled some of the bloatware, I just didn't want, hell it's my phone I don't need the crap I don't want. Anyway now it seems I need to have the factory ROM that the phone came with, or I can't update my phone. Does anyone here have it so I can just go back to when my phone was new all the bloatware apps etc? Will it be easy to do?

Thanks

You best option is to use the fastboot files and rsd to go back to stock. It is easy ad long as you follow the steps and guidance provided. It takes about 15 minutes on average.

Go to droidrzr.com. If you are not a member, just sign up, it is free and easy. There is a thread there with full details.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
xBabyBoy4021x

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
I just tried again... still failed...ive tried 3 times now! I dont want 2 fastboot cuz i dont want 2 lose all my data! Any other things i can try?

Reaction score
I just tried again... still failed...ive tried 3 times now! I dont want 2 fastboot cuz i dont want 2 lose all my data! Any other things i can try?

You will not lose your data. When you fastboot you do not have to wipe anything. All of your apps will be there and your phone will be set up the way you had it. I just did one last night and did not lose anything.

The fastboot takes about 10 to 15 minutes and on your first boot after it is finished will take a while. Be patient and your phone will come back on with all your data.

OP
xBabyBoy4021x

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
I guess ill try that...what does fastbooting exactly do then? I thought it just reverted it back to out of the box condition...i use safestrap so i just tried uninstalling safestrap and temporary unroot...still failed!

OP
xBabyBoy4021x

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
i noticed that the fastboot using rsdlite instructions on Portal - DroidRzr.com are to go back to .744 will this still help if im on .748, which i assume is the update they put out in december?

OP
xBabyBoy4021x

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
i havent installed any leaked updates or anything like that so wasnt sure if fastbooting would even help...will fastbooting restore any bloat that may have been removed? (even though i didnt, jus 2-3 apps that i uninstalled before rooting that it let me uninstall)

Reaction score
I guess ill try that...what does fastbooting exactly do then? I thought it just reverted it back to out of the box condition...i use safestrap so i just tried uninstalling safestrap and temporary unroot...still failed!

Fastboot does not actually take your phone back to our of the box, it just makes sure that all of your system files are back to our of the box. If you deleted something, it will put it back. But it does not touch your user info/apps.

Yes, fastboot will take you back to 744 full stock system files so then you will have to take the ota for 748 and then again take the ota for 173. Through the entire process you will not lose your apps.

Even though you did not remove anything (that you can remember) , there is some reason why the ota keeps failing. The fastboot is the best way to make sure everything is there and go through the updates.

Last edited:

eidian

Reaction score
Fastboot does not actually take your phone back to our of the box, it just makes sure that all of your system files are back to our of the box. If you deleted something, it will put it back. But it does not touch your user info/apps.

Yes, fastboot will take you back to 744 full stock system files so then you will have to take the ota for 748 and then again take the ota for 173. Through the entire process you will not lose your apps.

Even though you did not remove anything (that you can remember) , there is some reason why the ota keeps failing. The fastboot is the best way to make sure everything is there and go through the updates.

Don't forget to reroot when you're back to 744 and then to protect it with Voodoo when you OTA to 748 then to 173. Paranoia made me check for root after each update.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

Reaction score
Don't forget to reroot when you're back to 744 and then to protect it with Voodoo when you OTA to 748 then to 173. Paranoia made me check for root after each update.

True. Although, you can wait until you are on 748 to root. I fastbooted, took ota for 748, then rooted and root keeper, then ota 173.

eidian

Reaction score
True. Although, you can wait until you are on 748 to root. I fastbooted, took ota for 748, then rooted and root keeper, then ota 173.

That's right! Doomlord's exploit v.3 works on 748, doesn't it?

And thanks for the explanation on what the fastboot file does; I asked what the difference is between an sbf and fastboot file is in a thread I started but didn't get a real clear answer. Now I get it.

T1125P

Reaction score
Hi, actually in the post with the link Jungle King 76 gave me it says "Anything that you couldn't uninstall without root needs to be on the phone. This includes things like editing the swype files so that you could install betas. If you are not in this boat, chances are extremely good that you are going to fail the current system verification phase and the update will not install." I'm not in that boat I have apps that I unistalled, that I shouldn't have, so I don't think that will work for me.