Questions about selling a free Moto Droid I received from Google

parkbsu

Reaction score
A few months ago, I participated in an online Android development course offered by O'Reilly. At the conclusion of the course, I was notified that I would be receiving either a free Droid or N1. Four weeks later (just last week), a brand new Moto Droid showed up on my doorstep. While this is great, I have had a Droid since the first day they were available. My wife has been trying it out for the past week, but it's not something she wants to keep/use - she prefers just a basic phone.

So, my question is - if I would try to sell this on EBay or another outlet, would Google know? It is a fully unlocked phone and it has been activated using a free 30 day account provided by Verizon. It has an Oakland, CA area code (I live in Indiana), so as far as I know, it is not tied to my current Verizon account.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for the input.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think since I'm close to Oakland, you should just trade it straight across for my wife's Eris.

bounce.gif

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you prolly can sell it on ebay - just list it saying it has a free account too

ive sold a few on there with no problems

OP
P

parkbsu

Reaction score
Checking the keyboard was one of the first things I did when I opened the box...from what I can tell, it is the same as my day 1 Droid...no raised letters unfortunately.

V

verian

I wish I had a raised keyboard. You almost have to grow one long finger nail then file it to a point to use the regular one.

NoKz

Reaction score

iPirate

Reaction score
would you be willing to give it to a developer that needs a phone?

does it require you to get a phone plan? or does the phone work on it's own?

OP
P

parkbsu

Reaction score
would you be willing to give it to a developer that needs a phone?

does it require you to get a phone plan? or does the phone work on it's own?

Sorry...if we end up getting rid of it, really need to get some cash. If you are looking for a possible phone, O'Reilly is offering another Android dev class - not sure if they are going to passing out free phones again...definitely worth a shot though.

waaplc

Reaction score
That's how I got my phone, bought it from a developer who works for google. It had 30 days free service. I met him at the Verizon store, got it activated under my number (didn't need the 30 days) and paid him cash. He wasn't concerned about google. It was new in the box with the plastic still on it.