Possible Ways to Crack the Bootloader

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have been following mine and wugs massive-tweet convo on twitter. This is scary. We cannot afford to lose. We need to work together. I suggest finding the presidents speech in the movie Independence Day and watching that. That is my inspiration right now. Yes I may be slightly melodramatic but think about it-up when cellphones and computers are the same thing, do you want mac like walled garden or PC like "I don't want windows I want Linux/hackintosh/dualboot/tripleboot/whatever"?

I want ownership. I want total, complete ownership of my machine, from kernel, hardware BIOS and bootloader to operating system and desktop manager, and apps.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
This is the problem: the manufacturers want the devices locked down as a condition of selling the phone on their network. So the manufacturers are forced to comply.

Each major carrier is implementing similar standards. Motorola just came up with the best (for the carriers) implementation first. But the path has already been chosen, unfortunately.

More than likely there will be some options made available for unlocked devices at some point, but expect to pay for it. Other than that, you're going to have to choose the manufacturer with the most easily broken lock - but even those will eventually disappear.

I'm not trying to be a detractor or overly negative. I'm all for maintaining openness, but the bottom line is things are changing and the deciders have decided. It is really going to come down to putting your money where your mouth is, as that's the only real vote you have.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This petition is all well and good. But its not going to sway Motorola, or anyone else for that matter. You have to give them a solid business reason to unlock their devices. As of yet I have seen none.
Instead of a relative handful of people just saying unlock the bootloader please, why not have that same number say thay are willing to pay full retail for an unlocked unwarranted version of the phone. That would make sense to a large corporation.
If you go by the 1% estimate. They sell a million phones, well if you have 1% buying at full retail that $500k-$600k that will get their attention.

Sent from somewhere...

DJxPanda

Reaction score
This petition is all well and good. But its not going to sway Motorola, or anyone else for that matter. You have to give them a solid business reason to unlock their devices. As of yet I have seen none.
Instead of a relative handful of people just saying unlock the bootloader please, why not have that same number say thay are willing to pay full retail for an unlocked unwarranted version of the phone. That would make sense to a large corporation.
If you go by the 1% estimate. They sell a million phones, well if you have 1% buying at full retail that $500k-$600k that will get their attention.

Sent from somewhere...

i hate to disagree with you, but this is a similar situation to HTC with the thunderbolt i believe. unless there was some sort of actual business reason presented that was behind the scenes, HTC folded under customer pressure.

andylulzyou

Reaction score

Sent from somewhere...

Only on DroidForums would someone act like 8000 signatures in two weeks saying that they will not purchase another device isn't a business reason.

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Sent from somewhere...

Only on DroidForums would someone act like 8000 signatures in two weeks saying that they will not purchase another device isn't a business reason.

8000 people is the population of my little town in Texas. Point being locked bootloader or not their devices are still going to sell.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Sent from somewhere...

If it was, then things would be different. All I am saying is signatures don't translate to dollars very well in the business world. If this petition meant anything to Moto you would have heard something. A drop in the bucket won't change the stance of a multi-billion dollar company.

Sent from somewhere...

Snow02

Reaction score
And again. It's really not motorola you guys need to petition. It's the carriers.

andylulzyou

Reaction score

Sent from somewhere...

8000 people is the population of my little town in Texas. Point being locked bootloader or not their devices are still going to sell.

8000 x 300 for the phone = 2,400,000
8000 x 30 for data = 240,000

I can guarantee you that they don't want to lose that kind of money, it's just up to us to follow through with it.

The petition is usually if people who signed it go out and renew a contract with Verizon for a Bionic.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You can't make a case for them losing money. It won't work. They've done their research, and I'm sure their accountants are pretty good. You have to show them a way to make money from this.
For a global company 8000 customers isn't enough of a loss to justify the change. But if you show them they can profit more from upcharging for an unlocked device well that makes business sense.
You can never tell a company a small group of, let's face it, unwanted customers are going to walk if they don't change. They don't want hackers....especially irresponsible hackers...playing with their devices.

Sent from somewhere...

andylulzyou

Reaction score
So you don't think they'd care that they were losing over $2 million? Or that those 8000 people were amassed in two weeks and targeted at 3 or 4 phones and only a portion of the rooted community?

Interesting.....

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
So you don't think they'd care that they were losing over $2 million? Or that those 8000 people were amassed in two weeks and targeted at 3 or 4 phones and only a portion of the rooted community?

Interesting.....

Nope...not in the least. Because that's not truly how the numbers would work out, and they know that.

Heck my company routinely turns down business, even though we have excess capacity and have not turned a profit for almost a decade. Why?? Because it doesn't make business sense to take on those customers.

Sent from somewhere...