possible water damage

MrCatPC

Reaction score
You are viewing this reasonably, and it's appreciated, speaking as an independent service tech (never worked for a manufacturer or repair center, just liaison you'd meet at the big box store, past occupation, glad to not be in retail anymore).

Many many many folks have accidents with their devices (sat on laptop, ran over SLR camera bag, ...dropped anything), and I do, too. It's unfortunate. I will tell you that PSPs, PPPs (product service/protection plans) are sold as a product, and as products, they generate revenue, and as revenue, the vendors of the insurance coverage do make some profit. That's capitalism & generally not a problem. However, many many folks expect more benefit from their coverage than was purchased. There are instances where a claimant's issue should be covered under the strict finely printed terms of an insurance plan, but are refused. That's where you'd get a 3rd party involved, IMHO, but you're going into this situation with eyes open & armed with information, so at least it's not a worst case scenario for you.

What ruins the whole deal is when folks do take advantage of insurance for issues that weren't covered or shouldn't be covered. I was in the position of selling those plans in two different retail jobs (no commission, by the way), buying those plans for my own personal gadgets, and I still find it a tough choice to make, when it comes down to bottom line cost. So I empathize.

I can tell you I've seen these real-life examples first-hand:

$800 laser printers junked for replacement value when a $12 part was not easily obtainable.

$90 device covered completely with no cost to customer, which had more than $100 of replacement parts plus expensive labor.

Expensive equipment (I believe it was a Sony or Canon SLR cam) refused for service coverage with returned labor charge to a customer when sent for mechanical repair 2 years after a beach vacation which exposed its internal h2o sensors to salty humid air.

And in my own history as a consumer, my covered laptop went through 3 motherboard replacements for faulty design that caused issues over time, while one of my own clients had his laptop of same model (bought a month after mine) replaced with a company check worth twice the purchase price instead of its first motherboard replacement. Yeah, that burned a little.

So is it always fair? Obviously, no, it isn't. You are as consumer at some point ultimately at the mercy of whomever receives the damaged/failed device, their assessment of cause & subsequent repair or replacement coverage, if any. I would not like to be that guy. So I left retail & for the most part only have to be the middleman up to the point of helping my clients decide which way to go.

But I think you have your bases covered (CYA as some would abbreviate), and you're making an informed decision. Be prepared for an alternate outcome if you send in a damaged device, some gamble and lose, others win, but there's almost always some cost involved.

Now, I'd love to own a waterPROOF smartphone with eternal battery which would also always fail to impact the ground, hovering even just an inch above the sidewalk/floor/table everytime I happen to drop it. Or I could just never drop it. That was actually what a customer told me they would do instead of buying the protection plan once upon a retail sale. I won't digress any further (at least on this post) about how my last 3 bluetooth headsets met their demise, all not covered of course except my original. And I do mean *last* three, I don't wear a headset anymore. Consequently I run the risk of dropping my phone more often, I suppose. :)K

Oh, and good luck in your situation! We all hope it works out well.

End Transmission from battle-worn R2-D2.

cowgirlbellydancer

Reaction score
Yeah, they will know

I work for Verizon, we know where the water indicators are and if you send it in and Verizon discovers water damage, you will be charged full retail price for your replacement. Just a heads up.

cowgirlbellydancer

Reaction score
OK...simple. take it back and get a new one. If they charge you for new one, argue the marketing of the ' nano coating'. If they still denied, contact bbb for help, still denied, call lawyer and sue for false advertising.

It should be able to withstand a cup on the pocket from what all hype is about the freaking nano thingy. Love how so many people cry about fraud and false claims. What you people think they'd do? They will try to cover their ass...you should try to cover yours.

sent from a RAZR on mah Harley.

I like how everyone thinks that a water resistant nano coating means that the phone can be submerged. No, what this means is that it will stand up to humidity and maybe rain. It in no way means the phone is waterproof. The water indicators are on the inside of the phone. And by removing the back of the razr, he voided his warranty. Not a brilliant move on his part.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Yeah... rocks are generally water-resistant, too, but look what becomes of them. And yes it is in Verizon's best financial interests to determine whether they must be liable for a faulty device, so they will take time & caution as much as they deem necessary to determine that they are not being taken advantage of during a replacement assessment. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but doesn't VZW pass these charges along to their customers because the insurance provider bills VZW in response to the replacement cost when a device is received and assessed as non-compliant with terms of the coverage? I don't necessarily sympathize with the corporate giant here, but that's where the big bill would come from.

For similar reasons, that camera I mentioned was denied coverage for "saltwater damage" when just one or four hidden internal moisture sensors was affected. Likewise I cannot expect VZW to replace my R2-D2 for its worn-out keyboard without their possible refusal since I have visibly chipped plastic corners from prior fights with gravity and hard surfaces. Sad but often true.

I blame the inflated market price (unsubsidized non-contract MSRP for just the smartphone itself) for the whole ball of wax when we see these dollar amounts for handheld devices are so much higher than prices on computers, etc. It's an interesting off-topic subject for another forum. Just imagine how much higher the cost could be if we manufactured the gadgets completely within the USA! I should be quiet.

Again, good luck from all of us eagerly waiting to hear good news for your case!

Reaction score
I am confused by all the talk on this thread. First, the insane idea that nano coating water resistant equals water proof. Then others saying minor spill while phone in pocket. According to the op, the phone was in his lap not a pocket and the majority of a pitcher of water sd spilled onto him. This is not a minor spill by any means.

I also don't understand all the talk of insurance fraud or false insurance claims. The insurance that we pay for on these phones covers all damages and even lost phones. It does not matter how or why the phone is damaged that is the purpose of having insurance. In these instances there's no such thing as a bad insurance claim unless you deliberately break the phone to get a new one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

MrCatPC

Reaction score
I'm confused by all the talk on this thread as well (so I will stop that now, for my part), and I don't disagree at all...

Insurance is one thing. Warranty is another. Unfortunately the two terms are often mixed in conversation but we know they have entirely different purposes. The OP is on the right track already toward a satisfactory solution, and I guess I was just responding to subsequent posts re what to expect with the RMA phone if a claimant doesn't properly disclose the details. "Surprise, you *did* send us a water-damaged phone, so surprise, here's your bill" should only apply when attempting to use warranty coverage for defects to replace a damaged device.

My apologies if I derailed the thread with my responses with anything I may have said off-topic. Sometimes it's helpful to have some extra information & sympathy in this sort of thread. It seems to have been going toward a heated debate about who owes whom what and why, but I think, if the OP has been following, they already were leaning in the right direction, if satisfied that paying deductible versus gambling for possible free swap with full replacement device bill being an outcome. Having the insurance affords one the privilege of paying the smaller deductible when accidents happen, instead of the full repair/replacement bill.

Goodness knows I am thankful for having full coverage on my car a week ago for what little I had to pay in my insurance deductible rather than the big repair bill. I'm not going to complain. Some people always will try to find a "better" angle, some will always complain. At some point it's just a matter of moving on.

*sigh*

Reaction score
Goodness knows I am thankful for having full coverage on my car a week ago for what little I had to pay in my insurance deductible rather than the big repair bill. I'm not going to complain. Some people always will try to find a "better" angle, some will always complain. At some point it's just a matter of moving on.

*sigh*

I hear you there. I used to always feel like the insurance company was rippling me off because I would pay x amount of $ every month for nothing because I have never been in an accident. But that quickly changed when I bought a brand new $40k car and 2 weeks later I was run off the road by some crazed lunatic resulting in a brand new pile of scrap metal. I can't even imagine what I would have done with a $40k loan and no car if it weren't for insurance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

ultra09hd

Reaction score
I like how everyone thinks that a water resistant nano coating means that the phone can be submerged. No, what this means is that it will stand up to humidity and maybe rain. It in no way means the phone is waterproof. The water indicators are on the inside of the phone. And by removing the back of the razr, he voided his warranty. Not a brilliant move on his part.

I never said waterproof.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
ultra09hd said:
I never said waterproof.

*ahem* "That's what she said," Michael Scott, The Office

Indeed you did not say -proof- ...nor did you infer it.

Yup, thread went south about that time. We got you covered (nano coating or no). :)K

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Wow. So much over technical crap.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Well, waterproof vs water resistant is somewhat of a confusing subject and there is no real industry standard to define it. For instance, I have two watches; one water proof to 900 feet and one water resistant to 60 feet. Obviously both can be submerged in a bathtub or pool and fend off a pitcher full of water without having any problems. Drop the water resistant watch in the ocean to 100 feet and providing I can recover it, it probably wont work.

Neither my HTC Touch Pro 2, nor my HTC EVO were water resistant to any degree, in fact my touch pro 2 wasn't even sweat proof and the moisture indicators would turn red. However, the Maxx is supposed to be water resistant which implies that anything less than being fully submerged in water should be OK. I think it is fair to say that it is quite comon for many of us to put our phones on the table or on our laps (or even in our pockets) whil we are eating which makes them prone to being splashed if a drink or some other liquid gets spilled. Advertising something as being water resistant is usually targeted at situations just like that. Have you ever been caught out in a torrential downpour with your phone in your pocket? Happened to me yesterday playing golf. Fairly common and although my phone was in my pocket, it did get a little damp. (disclaimer: I was thinking about this thread when it happened and did everything I could to prevent further water contact) But.... Water resistant should prevent damage. If for instance I was running for cover and fel in one of the lakes then water resistance would not have made much of a difference... it would have been submerged.

In regards to the insurance. Thats just what it is. We pay a premium to cover us in the event of an accident in which our phone is damaged or lost and we can get a replacement. Just like a car or house, or other property we carry insurance on. And, just like car insurance and homeowners insurance, there is the occasional time when someone tries to beat the system to get a new car, home, phone, etc. which is why we pay higher premiums. For the most part though, the vast majority of claims are legitimate. There was a long discussion on another smartphone site that I frequent about Assurion replacing the HTC Touch Pro II with a newer HTC Arrive. Several people started talking about all sorts of damage and problems with their phones and some were getting Arrives and some were not. In fact, the replacements were either refurbed Touch Pro II's or the crappy samsung replenish. It got pretty heated and the thread was eventually locked.

IMHO, the OP is right in that his phone was exposed to water, and a pitcher of water (and probably Ice) spilled on the table and running off onto his legs and phone would be something less than 64oz of liquid and would more or less constitute a splash rather than a dunk. I think being "water resistant" should have protected the phone reasonably enough to prevent damage.

David

Kimo91

Reaction score
No they won't know. Just to be on the safe side. Make sure its dry. My wife accidently put her gnex in the washer last week. So all I did was call Verizon and told them the phone just died and it doesn't turn on. I do pay for insurance on both my Rezound and gnex. So Verizon next day air my wife's gnex and all if good. You should be fine. Just don't tell them you poured water on it. Haha

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Another customer that lies and steals from a provider than to be honest and pay the deductible.

Anywho back to the OP, if it still doesn't turn on and if I read your post correct and opened the back, cough up the $100 and file a claim with asurion. Don't listen to anyone here that's giving you advice to scam Verizon. They will find out eventually and they'll hit you with $300 on your bill for basically lying and getting caught, also voiding your warranty

Sent from my Sith powered and rooted DROID RAZR MAXX

SallyC

Reaction score
looking for some help.

i was at dinner and a whole pitcher of water got spilled on the table and most of it ended up in my lap. of course this is also where my phone was.

I quickly dried off the phone and it seemed fine but over a few min it started to blink and now it wont turn on at all. i tried all the resets including a hard reset but still no powering on. when i plug it in i get a white led but still nothing else.
I pulled off the back and did not find any water and both water indicator stickers are fully intact. are there any other stickers i am missing? and if they are fine i have to think that no water got into the phone. can a undetectable to the eye amount of water really kill these phones??

if i dont see any sign of water and i bring it in to be replaced is there a way for them to see that it came into contact with water? i REALLY dont want to have to by another one of these.

What a freak accident! Don't know if it's helpful to you or not, but here's what Motorola claims (which isn't to say it's warrantied):

Your phone is water repellant, and can withstand a 7-inch rainstorm for 10 minutes. So, your phone is protected from life’s little challenges like that sudden rain shower, spilled drink, or splash of water. However, water repellent does NOT mean water resistant or water proof.
If your phone gets wet or dirty:
  • Wipe with a soft cloth and shake to remove excess water from the entire phone, especially the screen, speaker, and microphone ports.
  • Allow your phone to air-dry for at least 1 hour before using it again.
Your phone isn't indestructable. We've tested the limits and know that you'll break it if you:
  • Submerge it or leave it in standing water.
  • Take it in the shower.
  • Put it under running water.
Also, I know I'm a little late to the party about this, but I have heard BHEESTIE bags work well. I have one around, just in case.

Parzec

Reaction score
a 7 inch rainstorm in 10 minutes would be like standing under a waterfall LOL!!

Nice research BTW...it does seem that their claims create a warranty under the UCC and the OP could make a warranty claim. If motorola/Verizon were to systematically deny these claims, they could be held liable for unfair and deceptive trade practices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums