possible water damage

ScaryRobot

Reaction score
I think there's moisture inside the volume down rocker

My Razr was powered off. I put it on the table suddenly a few minutes without touching it the screen turned on by itself went to the white text "Normal Mode...Device: Locked..." etc. screen again. As if there's a ghost inside my phone. I'm thinking of a stuck moisture inside the volume rocker contact. What do you think?

webspinner

Reaction score
To answer a couple of questions others asked, I'm not sure about the RAZR, but at least on the RAZR MAXX there are at least THREE water damage indicators, not two as many seem to say. One is obvious when you take off the back cover, the other two are not as easily seen. The first one you'd encounter if you take apart this phone is a water indicator sticker toward the bottom of the phone below the battery area. The third one is much more difficult to find or access. With the screen facing DOWN (as in it's disassembled) It's sandwiched between the motherboard and the LCD screen on the right side of the phone about 2/3's of the way down. Just thought this might be helpful if your phone is toast or you purchase one on Craigslist and want to see what kind of damage you are working with before parting it out or something. If the first easy to access sticker indicated damage and not the others, I might feel okay about using the parts as replacements if need be.

waymental

Reaction score
Where I work we bake moisture sensitive devices every day before installing the components on the circuit boads.

I dropped my Razr in a toliet once (clean water of course) and just turned it off until I got home.
Turned on my oven to the lowest setting and placed my phone on a hot pad in a pan after removing my SD and SIM card.
Baked it four times at 10 minutes each. I placed drops of water in the pan to witness how quickly the water would evaporate.
That was about 2 years ago and the phone is still going. Yea I know time to upgrade.