Possible Malware - White Smoke?

mrwiseguy85

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm using an unrooted Droid 2 with Froyo. I was browsing around on my phone when I suddenly saw a file downloading from a webpage. It completed quickly, only being 429 KB, and I found the file in the "Download" folder of my phone storage. The file was "WhiteSmokeInstaller_9147.exe."

I feared I had somehow gotten some malware, and downloaded two separate anti-virus/malware apps (Lookout and AVG). The scans did not turn up any negative results.

I did a web search based on the file info and it sounds like it is possibly malware for a PC. Any idea if it affects Android - couldnt find anything online mentioning it. I am not certain if anything installed, but if something did, I would like to know what resources are available to remove it.

I usually have had "Don't download/install from unknown sources" checked, but of course using Amazon Appstore I didn't consider that was now unchecked....

Thanks for any input.

OP
M

mrwiseguy85

Reaction score
Sorry as a follow-up, I guess it would be prudent to ask: can .exe extensions even open on Android? Since it is not .apk I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting overly-paranoid.

Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If it was meant for windows, which the .exe would mean that, it won't work on Android. Delete it and move on. If possible reprt the site for distributing malware.

Sent from somewhere...