Possible Droid user

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
clcto said:
USB sync Android phones with Outlook, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, ACT!, and Palm Desktop

As an update, I purchased the Droid on Saturday. One of the first things I did was to download and install a copy of CompanionLink. Easy to setup and get it going, and I love the fact that contacts are sorted by LAST name. I have elected to use Google Calendar for that function due to it's ease.

I purchased the software and am looking forward to seeing what new features and enhancements will be coming. Very nice product!

Congratulations. You have now officially been assimilated.:)

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com

Assimilation will bring peace.

I wasn't at all offended at MNTNBKR's post on product price (and apologize for misapplying the quote). I'm always listening to what people say. But it doesn't make sense to me. A Droid phone costs $200 and comes with a Verizon Voice/Data account which runs like $80 per month. It comes with a minimum two year contract. That's $1800 total plus taxes and service fees.

After the free 14 day trial, which you can use for one-time data transfer, CompanionLink sync costs $40 one time fee. For the Droid, this is 2.2% of the outlay for the phone. CompanionLink will outlive your phone because you can use it with any other phone, and probably with whatever comes next. This product has been out for 14 years, and is continuously updatable to the latest phone. We never have an update charge and there is always free telephone technical support which is very rare in the App world.

Overall I think that's a good price point for most business people.

But we're still listening. I'd like a way to satisfy people like MNTNBKR and yet also continue to give real world salaries to our US based programmers and techs. I recently download an Android App that is paid using AdMob Adware. What do people think of that? Should we make Adware supported sync?

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a fellow WM user for ~5 years I can tell you there is VERY little I miss. The only thing really would be MyMobiler (and there is a program that allows this interface, but it's still early in the development). Other than that the Droid is FAR better for daily use. I used to cook ROMs for WM and even a 'stripped' 6.5 ROM is far slower than the stock Droid (and my most recent device was the Tilt2 which is/was one of the most powerful WM device currently offered by US carriers).

There are a few things it took me a while to get used to but after only 2 weeks or so (got mine Dec 30) I'm more than happy and have no intention of going back to WM.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

Assimilation will bring peace.

I wasn't at all offended at MNTNBKR's post on product price (and apologize for misapplying the quote). I'm always listening to what people say. But it doesn't make sense to me. A Droid phone costs $200 and comes with a Verizon Voice/Data account which runs like $80 per month. It comes with a minimum two year contract. That's $1800 total plus taxes and service fees.

After the free 14 day trial, which you can use for one-time data transfer, CompanionLink sync costs $40 one time fee. For the Droid, this is 2.2% of the outlay for the phone. CompanionLink will outlive your phone because you can use it with any other phone, and probably with whatever comes next. This product has been out for 14 years, and is continuously updatable to the latest phone. We never have an update charge and there is always free telephone technical support which is very rare in the App world.

Overall I think that's a good price point for most business people.

But we're still listening. I'd like a way to satisfy people like MNTNBKR and yet also continue to give real world salaries to our US based programmers and techs. I recently download an Android App that is paid using AdMob Adware. What do people think of that? Should we make Adware supported sync?

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

In deciding to purchase the Droid (and corresponding data package), I forced myself to justify all of the additional costs above and beyond a typical dumb phone. First I cancelled my TXT plan because I can now use data for that. Then I cancelled my Sirius Radio subscription in favor of Pandora. Those two items justified the $30 data plan. Then, being that the Droid has built in turn-by-turn GPS, it justified the extra cost of the phone itself.

I understand that there are companies that have restrictions / policies in place regarding data security, and I completely respect that (contrary to my sarcastic comment above). I think $40 is a reasonable price for those folks who MUST have hard wired sync.

For me, there is no way to justify the extra $40 since, (as far as I can tell) the software doesn't provide any extra functionality that I NEED. Syncing via cable would be nice though, and I might even use it occasionally if it were free (Adware or not).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score