Possible Droid user

Booch_21

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I am in the market to replace my MotoQ on Alltel with the Verizon Droid. My contract is up in about 45 days and have been researching the Droid for awhile now. Kind of one of those "wait and see how it really works" periods.

I found this forum several days ago and have been reading with interest. I've been a Windows Mobile user for about 8 years or so through a regular PDA. The MotoQ caught my eye as the phone and PDA combined and have enjoyed using it for 2 years. Now I'm at a crossroads where I am ready to move to the next level phone. I've glanced at Blackberry Storm, iPhone and now the Droid. I love what the Droid has to offer and it looks cool as heck.

I am not a Google or Gmail user, and honestly, I'm not a big fan of the idea. I have had Outlook "control" my life for a long time and it is my tool of choice. I'm not interested in instant e-mail to the phone as I can simply use the mail server access to do that if need be. I am interested in having my contacts and calendar update daily between the phone and Outlook, preferably by USB and not over the air or through the internet.

I've been reading on here about various options and alternatives. I'm hoping that I can get the straight scoop here before I decide on which phone to get. I want an excuse to get the Droid and have it do what I need, simply because it looks like the best of the bunch.

I need you experienced users to help a prospective newbie out! Thanks!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd give up my Blackberry and now that I've had my Droid I can't believe I ever put up with the BB for as many years as I did. I don't have a Moto Q background so someone else will have to guide you between those differences but I know a lot of Q owners are now Droid owners.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I am in the market to replace my MotoQ on Alltel with the Verizon Droid. My contract is up in about 45 days and have been researching the Droid for awhile now. Kind of one of those "wait and see how it really works" periods.

I found this forum several days ago and have been reading with interest. I've been a Windows Mobile user for about 8 years or so through a regular PDA. The MotoQ caught my eye as the phone and PDA combined and have enjoyed using it for 2 years. Now I'm at a crossroads where I am ready to move to the next level phone. I've glanced at Blackberry Storm, iPhone and now the Droid. I love what the Droid has to offer and it looks cool as heck.

I am not a Google or Gmail user, and honestly, I'm not a big fan of the idea. I have had Outlook "control" my life for a long time and it is my tool of choice. I'm not interested in instant e-mail to the phone as I can simply use the mail server access to do that if need be. I am interested in having my contacts and calendar update daily between the phone and Outlook, preferably by USB and not over the air or through the internet.

I've been reading on here about various options and alternatives. I'm hoping that I can get the straight scoop here before I decide on which phone to get. I want an excuse to get the Droid and have it do what I need, simply because it looks like the best of the bunch.

I need you experienced users to help a prospective newbie out! Thanks!

Wow, well, to me it sounds like you need another WM phone. The Droid is optimized to sync with Google, and it does it VERY well. That's not to say you can't set up your phone with other email providers, its just that the functionality is not as comprehensive. Syncing with outlook is somewhat of a chore, and I'm not sure how you would sync your calendar without using Google calendar sync.

If you're using an exchange server, everything I just said is probably invalidated though. From what I gather, the Droid does pretty well with exchange though I'm not familiar with it's functionality as far as calender syncing.

OP
Booch_21

Booch_21

Reaction score
I'm educating myself and learning what I can and cannot do with the Droid. Yes, I know its a Google based phone. No, I'm not the only one who does not wish to use Google as a conduit to information. I'm looking for alternatives to the out of the box setup with Google. I'm prepared to do that if need be, but would prefer a USB only method shring data between my computer and me. I do not use Exchange nor do I plan to. My post did say this wasn't for e-mail purposes, mainly calendar and contacts only. Thank you for the feedback!

Vulcan, I am a Wing rider. Counting the days until the snow is gone! Thanks for the feedback as well.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
My post did say this wasn't for e-mail purposes, mainly calendar and contacts only.

Right! And what I'm telling you is that based on your requirements, the Droid is probably not the phone for your needs. That's just my $.02, take it or leave it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got to go along with the other guys. In my case I've been using gmail and calendar for sometime now. I got rid of Outlook at least 3 years ago and have been quite happy with my gmail and google calendar.

If those are things you don't want to deal with then probably it's not a good match for you, however if you're willing to open your mind to new possibilities and acceptance that there is something out there beyond Windows, then I would say give it a try.

Matter of fact, give it a try anyway since you're approaching your renewal date. You've got 30 days to try it out, if you don't like it get another phone.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Matter of fact, give it a try anyway since you're approaching your renewal date. You've got 30 days to try it out, if you don't like it get another phone.

Yep, good point. You'll never know unless you try.

I don't want to say that there is NO WAY to sync via USB with your outlook calenders and contacts, but I haven't seen one yet.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
OP
Booch_21

Booch_21

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I did find your product on other threads and I've been looking over the progress of your product's development. I like what I see and to me, $40 is a drop in the bucket, if it gives me peace of mind. My data may be insignificant to everyone except me, price won't matter if your product will meet my needs. I've been having discussions with other professional colleagues and there is interest in a viable solution for the Droid's use with Outlook. If I go with the Droid, your product will be the first thing that I acquire.

To MNTNBKR: I appreciate you trying to offer your opinion, but your remark towards this gentleman's response to my query does not offer anything of substance. I started this thread to get information. You gave me your opinion. Thank you, I'm now leaving it.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
To MNTNBKR: I appreciate you trying to offer your opinion, but your remark towards this gentleman's response to my query does not offer anything of substance. I started this thread to get information. You gave me your opinion. Thank you, I'm now leaving it.

Whatever floats your boat buddy! My "remark" toward clcto was in no way meant to "offer anything of substance to *your* inquery". I was done with that after my first post... get off you'r high horse dude.

What my remark was intended for (since clcto directed his post AT ME *even though his quote window mistakenly said hookbill*) was to simply state that I believe $40 is a bit high for this product for the average user (I believe I'm fairly representative of the average Droid user) since most of what their product offers can be done for free using Google and wireless (which *most* people aren't afraid of).

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe everyone but me has restricted, highly classified, super top secret information that they don't want to have floating through the air.:icon_ devil:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon gentleman. I would like to remind everyone here that falming or bashing isn't welcomed here. So remeber to be polite if possible.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Good afternoon gentleman. I would like to remind everyone here that falming or bashing isn't welcomed here. So remeber to be polite if possible.

My apologies...I'll try to be more sensitive next time I offer feedback to the new members.

OP
Booch_21

Booch_21

Reaction score
clcto said:
USB sync Android phones with Outlook, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, ACT!, and Palm Desktop

As an update, I purchased the Droid on Saturday. One of the first things I did was to download and install a copy of CompanionLink. Easy to setup and get it going, and I love the fact that contacts are sorted by LAST name. I have elected to use Google Calendar for that function due to it's ease.

I purchased the software and am looking forward to seeing what new features and enhancements will be coming. Very nice product!