Pop ups -bad news!!!!!!!!!!

bhdot

Reaction score
Hello Droiders!!!
Please help me with an issue....I am new to droid. Really new. I come from along history of using Blackberry. I was really savy with BB and felt like I could crack any issue, but this droid issue has me stumped. I go thru about 3000text per month. I DO NOT LIKE THAT POP UP THAT COMES WHEN YOU GET A TEXT MESSAGE.Why would the developers come up with that, and not being able to turn it off?
Well, you can turn it off, but it kills all notifications and unless you want
to check your phone every 2 min, you will not be responsive to your pals. So, on my older blackberry, when you recieved a text, there was a vibration and a icon of a envelope on te task bar at the top...thats what I want. I want to be notified by a buzz and an icon, but no way do I want the pop up....Says: Leslie- come see me tonight!!! Please tell me how to kill this pop up.
I will try either an application or altering/ managing the stock app.
And to go further, moving from BBIM to Gchat is a major adjustment as well...lol
Why would I want the entire message to scroll over the top when I recieve a chat?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Pop ups are bad news.

JK

tb110895

Reaction score
Try sms notifier in the market (It has an orange icon). It does just that. Android is usually supposed to do what you want but I guess HTC added a popup to the inspire. Anyways, tell me if that works out for you

FunkyMcC

Reaction score
If that doesn't work you can also switch your messaging app to handcent sms. It is a very nice messaging app and I swear by it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're not on a BB. You don't have to use the stock app. If you don't like the way the stock app works then try the alternatives. Handcent was suggested above. Chomp and GO SMS are a couple of other popular options. You don't have to choose between popups or no notifications as assumed in the OP.

Why would I want the entire message to scroll over the top when I recieve a chat?
Sorry, I can't explain your preferences for you. That's up to you.

OP
B

bhdot

Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok....

Hey Guys...
You all have great ideas, and awesome suggestions.
I actually tried one...the Handcent. Seemed ok, but the stock text icon and file was still working....RATS!!!
Trust me, IM really not an idiot, but am I allowed to delete or hide or temp disable the stock app so that I dont get dupes? And if I can, will I ever be able to get it back? (Like if I ever sell the phone).

If we can get that figured out, I will choose some of the others and find the one that fits me best.

Also, why in the hell does the gchat scroll message content across the top when I get an IM? I guess there is no way to disable that. On BBIM, there is no scrolling...all you get is a buzz vibration and a pretty little icon at the top.

Guys....HEELLLPP!

LT*

Reaction score
You have to turn off notifications in the stock messaging app settings to get the double notifications to stop.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I believe SMS Popup will also allow you to disable pop-up messages while still receiving notifications in the status bar. There are also several different notification icons (and colors) that the app allows you to choose from, and it'll allow you to change the notification LED as well.

Reaction score
I second the SMS Notifier app. Also check out the Missed Reminder app, though there is some learning curve to it. In both cases, disabling ALL the stock notifications is key.

OP
B

bhdot

Reaction score
DROIDERS!!!!

You are the best, I tink Im all good NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Droid! Droid! Droid!

Thanks!!

OP
B

bhdot

Reaction score
But-

Scrolling gchat at the top is unfixable I take it....

The only suggestion I heard it using another IM app.

FunkyMcC

Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the scrolling you have to go into the settings > notification settings> popup settings and enable privacy mode, the text will stop scrolling

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
B

bhdot

Reaction score
FunkyMcc--

Yes, I tried that , but this means no notifitcations at all.

Not even the chat bubble....

Im looking for vibration, chat bubble icon at top and thats it.

The scrolling is a hassle. Seems like its all or nothing.

BHdot