Play and control music from Droid through PC speakers

bthomas1112

Reaction score
Hey, I will admit, I am new here and to the Droid OS. I've done some searching and can't find what I am looking for:
A way to play music off of my Droid, through USB, and control it still through the Droid... kind of like a remote. I would think that this would be an app on my pc and droid. Is there something like this out there already?

Thanks in advance!
Bryan

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
You should be able to mount your SD card as a drive on your PC and play MP3's and such off the SD card. As for controlling it from the droid, I don't think it's possible...at least not right now. But, I don't really see a practical purpose for it either.

Why would you prefer to use the droid to control it rather than the PC out of curiosity? I could see maybe if you were using it via Bluetooth.

RichStevenson

Reaction score
I don't think you can via usb, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But you can do it via BlueTooth's audio gateway.

OP
B

bthomas1112

Reaction score
You should be able to mount your SD card as a drive on your PC and play MP3's and such off the SD card. As for controlling it from the droid, I don't think it's possible...at least not right now. But, I don't really see a practical purpose for it either.

Why would you prefer to use the droid to control it rather than the PC out of curiosity? I could see maybe if you were using it via Bluetooth.

Haha, I figured someone would call me out as to why I'd want this...
1. I have a charging station that I have added a powered USB hub to to charge my devices (phones, cameras, ect) and to easily sync with my PC. - Thus the USB connectivity...
2. I do a lot of gaming and video conversions so any relief off of the processor is preferred.
3. All of my media is stored on my media server, which is not my daytoday PC.

So... if I'm playing online games for example... I don't want to have a media program running, streaming from my server. Nor do I want to minimize windows to change songs ect... It'd be a whole lot easier to just tap my phone and change a song!

I'm sure there are other useful applications, but this would suit me nicely :)

--Basically, I want it to just be an MP3 player and use my PC surround sound without having to unplug my speakers and plug them into the Droid... could be a useful speakerphone I suppose for video conferencing purposes... the USB protocol can absolutely facilitate this, but just haven't seen it.

Last edited:

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

Haha, I figured someone would call me out as to why I'd want this...
1. I have a charging station that I have added a powered USB hub to to charge my devices (phones, cameras, ect) and to easily sync with my PC. - Thus the USB connectivity...
2. I do a lot of gaming and video conversions so any relief off of the processor is preferred.
3. All of my media is stored on my media server, which is not my daytoday PC.

So... if I'm playing online games for example... I don't want to have a media program running, streaming from my server. Nor do I want to minimize windows to change songs ect... It'd be a whole lot easier to just tap my phone and change a song!

I'm sure there are other useful applications, but this would suit me nicely :)

Just thought of a way to do it. You need a male / male 3.5MM audio cable. Plug it into your droid at one end, and your line-in on your PC at the other end. Set your audio settings on your PC so that your line-in comes out your speakers and you're ready to rock!:icon_ banana:

That's one of the "so-simple-I-couldn't-think-of-it" solutions!

edit: it's not USB, but I don't see why it would matter. You could still plug in your USB to charge it at the same time.

OP
B

bthomas1112

Reaction score
I like it... I've been hung up on software stuff... totally spaced out the "durrr" hardware solution.

Good interim solution until someone makes an app that does this so I don't have 2 cables!!;)

Last edited:

gentlefury

Reaction score
yeah plugging it in directly thru a male to male adapter or a Y cable with 3.5 on one end and RCA on the other...plug directly into a stereo.

I use bluetooth in my car and it works GREAT....including track control. I just wish there was a way to display track info on the screen. It shows incoming phone numbers so I can't imagine its impossible, the software just doesn't seem to exist.

lkwilson

Reaction score
What bluetooth device do you use in car? More info on that would be nice.

rda990

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you want,but you can use your droid to control music on your computer,but the music of course would be on the computer.Also no need for USB,you connect your droid to your home router and download VLC Remote (Market(Free)) and VLC on the computer and you can control the music ,volume and all this other stuff.

JCo352

Reaction score
I use Gmote through my wifi connection to do this it works really well.

galaxies

Reaction score
Hey, I will admit, I am new here and to the Droid OS. I've done some searching and can't find what I am looking for:
A way to play music off of my Droid, through USB, and control it still through the Droid... kind of like a remote. I would think that this would be an app on my pc and droid. Is there something like this out there already?

Thanks in advance!
Bryan

If you like to do it over wifi you can try Remote Droid Player