Phone won't work unless I go to Speakerphone

Jackattack

Reaction score
Master Reset, Proposed Solution form Motorola

As promised here is the responds recieved from Motorola.

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I have reviewed your e-mail and I am ready to help.

The next step would be a master reset,Basically, what a master reset does it refreshes your whole phone settings and most likely have that issue resolved.However, you would need to back up all valuable information because the reset wipes all contents in phone.Your contacts and calendar should already be synched with gmail when you log back into your phone with your gmail email address.But, I would advise you to verify within your gmail account on a desktop.As for your applications and ringtones it's possible that you may lose them.After those trouble shooting steps if the issue still remains which I strongly doubt.You can warranty in your phone and give us a call at the number below

Thank you again for contacting Motorola Customer Care. We hope the information provided fulfilled your needs.

Best regards

Zozz

Reaction score
I have this issue too, I don't want to do a hard reset.

footballboy3

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid on January 1, 2010, so it is still very new. After 2 weeks of using it, I had an experience where I received a phone call and could hear the person on the other end of the line, but he could not hear me (as if I were muted). However, I found when I pressed the "speaker" button, I could communicate with him normally. When I turned the "speaker" off, it was as if I had muted myself again.

I had no issues with this again until today, when the problem seemed to get worse. My girlfriend called me and I couldn't hear her at all and she couldn't hear me. However, when I pressed the "speaker" on, we could communicate normally. When I turned "speaker" off, we could no longer hear each other. We hung up and I called her back and everything worked fine again.

Anyone else having issues like this? Should I take the phone back to the Verizon store to get it replaced?

Not sure if it relates here but I've seen a couple of threads where this problem occurs after having used the headphone jack. I played with mine a little and couldn't duplicate it. Any chance you were using headphones shortly before the issue each time? Maybe some software glitch not properly diverting audio after headphones are removed?

I had the same problem and i'm pretty sure its the headphone jack. Every time I disconnect my headphones, I make sure that sound will come out of the speaker. If it does, then the phone will work correctly. If you get no audio from the speaker after removing headphones, plug them back in and then back out again. I had the same issue with a macbook pro. The headphone jack sucks on the droid.

mntbikejack

Reaction score
Everyone that has this problem please call Motorola or post on the Motorola support board so it gets on their radar.

Bamf

Reaction score
I just posted over at Motorola. Had a hard time finding a thread dealing with this issue, it is extremely annoying.

dschwar1

Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem and it is extremely annoying. It happens maybe 50% of the time with me after I use headphones. This would never happen with the Iphone. Motorola is playing dumb here. This is why Apple products are popular - details details details.

DigiK

Reaction score
Master reset won't solve your problems here, as this is most definitely an Android/Moto software issue that I originally posted issues for back in December 2009. A patch has been implemented by TRTG at AllDroid: AllDroid - View topic - [RELEASE] fix audio after disconnecting headphones/AUX cable

We can only hope this fix is included in 2.x1x update, as it's a MAJOR nuisance. Go make some noise:

Issue 5674 - android - Ear speaker not reactivated following headphone disconnect during incoming call - Project Hosting on Google Code

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/114441#114441

OP
S

skim7x

Reaction score
I have the same problem and it is extremely annoying. It happens maybe 50% of the time with me after I use headphones. This would never happen with the Iphone. Motorola is playing dumb here. This is why Apple products are popular - details details details.
I returned my Droid last month... waiting for the Motoroi :)

BTW, iPhone had it's own share of problems, equally disappointing as this Droid problem. And that's not why Apple products are popular... they are popular because iPhones have a very flat learning curve and are very intuitive... anyone and their grandmother can use them. Android is new and not quite as easy to use as the iPhone, so not many of the non-tech general public will choose Android over Mac.