Phone won't work unless I go to Speakerphone

skim7x

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid on January 1, 2010, so it is still very new. After 2 weeks of using it, I had an experience where I received a phone call and could hear the person on the other end of the line, but he could not hear me (as if I were muted). However, I found when I pressed the "speaker" button, I could communicate with him normally. When I turned the "speaker" off, it was as if I had muted myself again.

I had no issues with this again until today, when the problem seemed to get worse. My girlfriend called me and I couldn't hear her at all and she couldn't hear me. However, when I pressed the "speaker" on, we could communicate normally. When I turned "speaker" off, we could no longer hear each other. We hung up and I called her back and everything worked fine again.

Anyone else having issues like this? Should I take the phone back to the Verizon store to get it replaced?

isaacfinnegan

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid on January 1, 2010, so it is still very new. After 2 weeks of using it, I had an experience where I received a phone call and could hear the person on the other end of the line, but he could not hear me (as if I were muted). However, I found when I pressed the "speaker" button, I could communicate with him normally. When I turned the "speaker" off, it was as if I had muted myself again.

I had no issues with this again until today, when the problem seemed to get worse. My girlfriend called me and I couldn't hear her at all and she couldn't hear me. However, when I pressed the "speaker" on, we could communicate normally. When I turned "speaker" off, we could no longer hear each other. We hung up and I called her back and everything worked fine again.

Anyone else having issues like this? Should I take the phone back to the Verizon store to get it replaced?

I've seen this as well. It goes away for me after rebooting the phone.

huskur

Reaction score

If it doesn't then a trip to vzw

OP
S

skim7x

Reaction score
Yeah, I had to do that, I forgot. But I really hate knowing that such a basic function of this phone (I emphasize, PHONE) has a problem and that I am going to have to reboot the phone every time. If this rate continues, I'll have this problem two-dozen times over the next year...

I'll probably just go to verizon store to have it sorted out anyways. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem or if there was an easy / obvious fix or something I was doing stupid before I took it back.

Thanks for the reply!

Vitticeps

Reaction score
also make sure you don't have bluetooth turned on. Sometimes if I get too close to the exterior walls of my apartment the phone will pick up my bluetooth headset in my car in the parking lot (damn thing has amazing range). I don't always notice what the problem is until I look down and see the bluetooth indicator is on.

If you have a bluetooth headset or other bluetooth device in range it could be switching either all audio or just the mic to that bluetooth device.

OP
S

skim7x

Reaction score
also make sure you don't have bluetooth turned on. Sometimes if I get too close to the exterior walls of my apartment the phone will pick up my bluetooth headset in my car in the parking lot (damn thing has amazing range). I don't always notice what the problem is until I look down and see the bluetooth indicator is on.

If you have a bluetooth headset or other bluetooth device in range it could be switching either all audio or just the mic to that bluetooth device.
That's a great point. That used to happen to me all the time with my previous phone... but yeah, I checked the bluetooth on my Droid and it's off.

dlc1265

Reaction score
Since I got my Droid last week, I have had the same problem, almost daily. It seems to happen after I listen to music, Pandora, Flycast, Music App. REALLY annoying and dissapointing. Not sure that an exchange will fix it though!

Think it is worth a try at an exchange?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Not sure if it relates here but I've seen a couple of threads where this problem occurs after having used the headphone jack. I played with mine a little and couldn't duplicate it. Any chance you were using headphones shortly before the issue each time? Maybe some software glitch not properly diverting audio after headphones are removed?

eggwyt

Reaction score
Due to the same problem with calls I had to exchange one of our Droids; tried reset, BT, all of them but the mic wouldn't work. The tech support guy tried lots of things but none worked. The new phone has worked flawlessly since the exchange at VZN store. That's the path I should have taken right away, just take it back.
Egg

cplus

Reaction score
This is a REAL drag. It happens to me every few days. It does it stock aswell as rom'd. Only a reboot will fix. Terribly annoying. I will check this thread for hopefully a solution...

OP
S

skim7x

Reaction score
Due to the same problem with calls I had to exchange one of our Droids; tried reset, BT, all of them but the mic wouldn't work. The tech support guy tried lots of things but none worked. The new phone has worked flawlessly since the exchange at VZN store. That's the path I should have taken right away, just take it back.
Egg
Yeah... im going to go back this coming weekend and see if i can exchange it.. the thing im worried about is that i can't reproduce the problem at will, so not sure if they will believe me... hopefully it's a well enough known problem that they will take my word for it...

Kdubbjr

Reaction score
This happens to me on occasion but only with outgoing calls and I fix it by just turning speaker on and then off again then it works fine.

Jackattack

Reaction score
I have noticed a pattern with this issue

This happens to me very constantly after using the headphone jack. I normally use Bluetooth stereo headset but to listen to music in my truck I run an aux cable from the headphone jack to the aux port on the truck radio deck.

The phone with not react positively if I just plug the cord (headphones) in while it is playing music it will trip the phone into mute mode. So I plug the headphones in first then start up the phone music player.

Then I noticed when I remove the headphone's I have the problem described in the discussion. Bam cannot talk to anyone on call they can hear me but I can not hear them unless in speaker mode.

I have no clue how to fix this other than restart.

Extremely annoying and is beginning to be very consistent with use of the headphone jack.

Do I return the phone? I question if it will be the same problem with a new one.

Last edited:
OP
S

skim7x

Reaction score
This happens to me very constantly after using the headphone jack. I normally use Bluetooth stereo headset but to listen to music in my truck I run an aux cable from the headphone jack to the aux port on the truck radio deck.

The phone with not react positively if I just plug the cord (headphones) in while it is playing music it will trip the phone into mute mode. So I plug the headphones in first then start up the phone music player.

Then I noticed when I remove the headphone's I have the problem described in the discussion. Bam cannot talk to anyone on call they can hear me but I can not hear them unless in speaker mode.

I have no clue how to fix this other than restart.

Extremely annoying and is beginning to be very consistent with use of the headphone jack.

Do I return the phone? I question if it will be the same problem with a new one.
Yup, very annoying indeed. I, for one, am going to take my phone back probably this Sunday when I have some time and talk to them about it... but I'm either going to exchange my phone, or return the thing alltogether... plus, there are awesome new Droid phones coming out... might as well get one of those haha...

Jackattack

Reaction score
I spent about an hour on the phone with Motorola about this issue they state they are unaware of the problem. There is a level 2 representative from Motorola that is looking into my case and I will post the results. I was very surprised; the Verizon tech said he was well aware of the issue with no solution. I asked if they would replace the phone and I was told NO. I am unfortunately over the 30-day return policy by about 6 days. So I am stuck even if I wanted to have the phone replaced, the tech said a new droid would not fix the problem that all of them seem to have the same symptoms if used the way I described.

What to do now? I guess I could go to the store in person and complain but what will that achieve. The tech already told me they wont replace it.

I told the Motorola rep that it is a hot topic in the droid community and I have heard many complaints, I am hoping to find out more information. At least get to the bottom of whether or not it is a software bug or a mechanical issue with the phone itself.

I am extremely disappointed in the issue because I use the phone a lot for music and multimedia in the truck and in the gym. The reset solution in my opinion is unacceptable.

More of you should contact Motorola on this issue maybe it will push for a solution.

I love the droid but this is terrible. The only solution I have come up with is to use Bluetooth heads set for listening to music and I don’t have an answer for the truck.
I hate FM transmitters; I should be able to use the headphone jack…. BAH!!!