phone goes silent - people I"m talking to can't hear me

koneacre

Reaction score
When I am on a phone call, suddenly the person I am talking to can't hear me (as if I have pushed the mute button, but I haven't). I can continue to hear them - as they say "can you hear me, are you there". Even happened when I was on the phone with tech support - she stayed on for over 5 minutes talking to me but could never hear a response from me. She had no solutions. When I take the phone away from my ear, the keypad is visible and I don't have the options of speaker phone, mute etc.

I REALLY don't want to have to switch everything over to a new phone. Anyone else have this issue.

kirbsher

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Just started happening to me last night. When I take the phone away from my ear the mute is on even though I haven't touched it. When I touch mute to try and take it off, the phone shows the * and the person on the other end still can't hear me. Have you figured anything else out?

surveyorinva

Reaction score
I noticed the same problem happening as of this morning. I noticed it after loading updates for Handscent SMS and Meridian. It seems to happened to me because the the screen does not timeout. However I was able to manually change the screen timeout under settings however I have seem to loss the function that while in a call, moving the phone from a vertical to horizontal position does not remove it from the timeout. Is any one else that is experiencing the muting problem also experiencing this?

Guchi

Reaction score
i think im having this issue also. i dont have meridian but i also updated handcent recently

surveyorinva

Reaction score
I have deleted both applications but still the phone will not recognize going from a vertical position to a horizontal position. I cannot find any settings for this nor does a reboot resolve this problem.

kirbsher

Reaction score
I just deleted the handcent yesterday because it was bothering me to have 2 different messages. I wonder if that's what did it.

surveyorinva

Reaction score
I discovered that my aftermarket hard case is why the screen will not go to sleep when making a call, which in turn would leave the screen active...I installed a hard case, which is covering the top left corner of the droid which is where the sensor is located. This sensor when going from light to dark (next to face) turns the screen off, and going from dark to light (removing for face) awakens the screen. Since I took the cover off it works perfect, so now I am carving the hard case to work properly.

MissEvoIXMR

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues with the calls getting muted. I discovered it mutes them not because I hit mute but because I was pushing buttons on the dial pad so it thought I was calling like a 3 way call.... So it muted the other person. If I looked at my notification bar and hit the call I was currently on, the could hear me again.. really weird but I think that's what's happening with mine. I have a hard case also but I can see the sensor clearly nothing's blocking it...

surveyorinva

Reaction score
So you can see the sensor on the left top side of the front screen (opposite side of the led light and the earphone jack? You can also simulate the phone going to sleep by putting our hand over this sensor, so if you do this and it does not make the screen go to sleep, you may have a bad light sensor.

I had to cut my hard case and it works fine now....not happy I had to cut the case but at least it works.

MissEvoIXMR

Reaction score
I can't see a sensor on the left?? I see one on the right above the led clearly. However I still tested it, I took off the case and covered the left and nothing, covered the right, got nothing, and covered up both and still nothing. I'm guessing faulty sensor?? It wasn't going to sleep at all....

surveyorinva

Reaction score
I cannot see the sensor either (I also carved out the hard case on the right side to begin with to give it more room thinking it was there, but it never worked.) However, I took the advice of a friend, took the case off and covering the left top side of the screen worked. Covering this sensor only works when I am actually in a call (dialing or talking) and no where else, if I cover the left top side of the screen, my phone goes to sleep and when i remove my hand, it wakes up....simulating putting the phone to the face. Try being in a call and covering up the left side and see if it still does it.

MissEvoIXMR

Reaction score
Wow OK ya definitely on the left and works without me having to touch the screen! Just being over that general area makes it sleep. That's with the case on. Maybe I will try and just use the phone on my left side to make sure the left side is always close to the sensor.. thanks for that help of was a fun little test LOL.

bjstrauss

Reaction score
I am having this problem too. I have gone into Verizon store, called Verizon and called motorola support. They don't have a clue. It does not happen always so I cannot replicate it. My hunch is that it has something to do either with the bluetooth kicking in, or an app getting in the way, or perhaps I am hitting something with my chin while talking on the phone. When it happens and I look at the screen, I do not see the dialing screen that has the mute button or the add call button. Screen is either dark (and I even have to press power button and quickly pull down phone on top left to turn off phone) or I get the full key board and no way to quickly end call.

blowdryl

Reaction score
Im having a similar problem. Yesterday, nobody could hear me if I was on the speakerphone, reboot/battery removal solved that issue. Today though, speakerphone works fine but the regular phone does not, I cant hear them nor can they hear me.:icon_evil: extremely frustrating.

blah626

Reaction score
I've been having this problem as well, and for a while I thought I had to hang up and recall the person so they could hear me again. But the problem is always caused by the number pad coming up, and if you just press back, the other person can you hear again. Still, it was a stupid idea to decide that the keypad should mute you. I can only hope that they fix it in future updates.