Speaker Phone.. No one can hear me!

imaROBOT

Reaction score
Okay so the other day I was driving and got a call on my Droid. I put the phone to me ear and began talking to my GF. I than put the phone in Speaker mode and right when I did that she could no longer hear me. I contiuned talking but was getting no response. She hung up on me because she heard nothing at all.

So When we got home we tried testing it out. I've played around with it for a day now and can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried to toggle the mute button, toggle the speaker phone button... still got nothing..

Than eariler this morning the phone did the same thing, but without being on speaker phone. I was talking to a friend and they couldn't hear me at all and I was holding the phone to me ear. Again they hung up and called back... then it started working...

Anyone have any ideas?? If I make a trip to the Verizon store will they replace it? I don't want to make the drive down there unless I know they will do something..

805waves

Reaction score
I got similar problems. The caller on the other end of the phone from time to time say that my voice sounds muffled or i sound far away. I do have a cover for my phone, so I am wondering if it is preventing sound entering my mic.

Zozz

Reaction score
My ear piece speaker is not working during some calls, external speaker works fine. A battery pull fixes it. It's annoying though.

TommyMac501

Reaction score
I noticed the same problem after I installed "DockAwake". It's supposed to put the speaker phone on when a call comes in while the phone is docked in the car dock. I still can't understand why that's not default. When I take it off the dock, it's like the speaker is disabled even if it's on. It's not consistent though.

As far as lousy sounds, I noticed the blower from the car heater (defroster) is in close proximity to the phone and overwhelms the mic, even if it's set on low. It's a sensitive mic.

Gig103

Reaction score
I had a speakerphone problem yesterday! Nobody could hear me even with apps closed. A battery pull fixed it but that shouldngt be something common. I hope it doesn't happen often.

805waves

Reaction score
I did a factory reset (not a battery pull) and it seemed to fix the problem. Hope this will help.:)

FearLES

Reaction score
Speakerphone - MIC not working, similar to MUTE

I have the same problem.

I initiate a phone call - start talking... and all works well.

Click on SPEAKERPHONE - and I can hear the person clearly, but they can't hear me at all. It is like the phone is on MUTE.

I tried re-booting the phone, same issue. I would like to avoid a factory reset - or returning the phone.

I do have multiple apps loaded on the phone... but none that SHOULD interfere with the mic on the speakerphone. As soon as I can find how to back up all my programs and screens, I will likely try a factory reset.

kentmcpherson

Reaction score
Any fixes for this? I just got my Droid a week ago and everyone complains when I use the speaker phone.

Ziffy

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. People just stopped talking about this? Interestingly though, I noticed the total posts from people in this thread are under 100. With that being said, we (the new people) usually don't get our valid questions answered, and when we do it is usually some jerk who thinks we are just 'complaining.' Ummm...yeah...some of us were locked into contracts when the Droid came out...so we had to wait to get it. Sorry we are "noobs" and we thought people on here were possibly nice enough to answer a question they may have had to work through themselves...when THEY were "noobs!"

The first day I came on here I tried to help somebody. That's what forums are supposed to be about, but it eventually turns into power nerds trying to act like they know everything...especially if they ROOT! LMFAO!

WooHoo...go DroidForums! UUgghh!

Z

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem.

Click on SPEAKERPHONE - and I can hear the person clearly, but they can't hear me at all. It is like the phone is on MUTE.

I tried re-booting the phone, same issue. I would like to avoid a factory reset - or returning the phone.

I do have multiple apps loaded on the phone... but none that SHOULD interfere with the mic on the speakerphone. As soon as I can find how to back up all my programs and screens, I will likely try a factory reset.

I wouldn't fear doing a factory reset from the privacy section. All your apps are returned and you don't lose anything from your SD card.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. People just stopped talking about this? Interestingly though, I noticed the total posts from people in this thread are under 100. With that being said, we (the new people) usually don't get our valid questions answered, and when we do it is usually some jerk who thinks we are just 'complaining.' Ummm...yeah...some of us were locked into contracts when the Droid came out...so we had to wait to get it. Sorry we are "noobs" and we thought people on here were possibly nice enough to answer a question they may have had to work through themselves...when THEY were "noobs!"

The first day I came on here I tried to help somebody. That's what forums are supposed to be about, but it eventually turns into power nerds trying to act like they know everything...especially if they ROOT! LMFAO!

WooHoo...go DroidForums! UUgghh!

Z

If anything I try to go out of my way to not only greet people but help them with the simple, less complicated matters. If someone needs help on a basic question and I know an answer I will tell them even if I've given the answer out a thousand times.

If I don't know the answer I'll attempt a search for it. It's all part of keeping this forum the way it was when it opened. Friendly and helpful.

You're just as welcome here as someone who has a thousand post and I think not only the admins and staff but the people in this forum are here to help. Please feel free to ask a question if you can't find an answer, that's what we are here for.

mtbdroid1

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

I wouldn't fear doing a factory reset from the privacy section. All your apps are returned and you don't lose anything from your SD card.

Are you sure? I just started to do it and was presented with the following (and I quote):

This will erase all data from your phone including:

• Your Google account
  • System and application data and settings
  • Downloaded applications
It will not erase:

• Current system software and bundled applications
  • SD card files, such as music or photos
(end quote)

This tells me that it will only save the apps that were bundled with the phone, not the apps I've downloaded. That is a HUGE deal (for me).

I believe it's important in these forums to be very clear about the implications of performing these types of actions so that noobs like me don't do something that costs a lot of pain and suffering.

BTW, my speaker just went kaput. I've tried the usual 'fixes' (reboot, removing battery, killing suspect tasks, removing suspect apps, etc.) to no avail. Anyone know how to get it back?

Thanks!

ldimick

Reaction score
Interesting problem. The only thing I have found is that this appears to have been a problem on other models of Droids that was fixed by an Over The Air update. Perhaps the reason the 'seasoned' members are not responding is because they are on 2.1 instead of 2.01? I don't mean that to sound snotty or flip. People on this board are among the best on the Internet in any subject for helping and keeping the temperature here down.

Look for a user named TECHIEGIRL or TECHGIRL and see if she can help. She is Droid tech support.

chrisnoxid

Reaction score
I had this issue show up yesterday and am not willing to pull the battery.. not sure what caused it but i just powered down for a minute and now it's back to normal operation.

It was making a loud beep when I hit the speakerphone button while on a call.. the other person could hear the beep then could not hear me anymore- very frustrating while driving!