Phone Questions

Mr. Meatball

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased the Droid X after switching from AT&T to Verizon. And overall I like the phone, but it's just too big and the battery is always an issue. (And I've read up on everything there is to do about the battery to help extend it and everything so don't need to go there). I'm still in that 30 day return area and I was wondering what would be a good Android phone to switch to. One that has a fairly decent battery life because I use my phone a lot for texting, apps, internet browsing, calls, etc. Even if I have to get an extended battery for one of them, I wouldn't really mind.

But I was browsing through a few phones, both online and in the store itself and came across a few that I would like some feedback on.

#1: HTC Incredible
#2: Droid 2
#3: LG Ally

From what I have read about the HTC Incredible is nice but laggy, The Droid 2 has terrible battery and extremely laggy, and haven't heard much about the Ally but I don't care much for it, it was just an option.

But I would love to wait for the Thunderbolt but I doubt it will be released before my 30 days is up. But feedback on those 3 phones, preferably the top 2, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
When did you get the Droid X? Verizons new Return Policy is only 14 days now, not 30...see here.

As far as the D2 goes, its the same internals as the Droid X, and the Droid X has the best battery life of any Android phone that Verizon offers at this time..so, I dont know what to tell you..

I know you said you have "done everything" to make your battery last longer, but exactly what is "everything"? How long does the battery last normally? You might actually have a bad battery and that can be fixed by getting a replacement from Verizon for free...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have the Incredible and have experienced almost no lag at all. It has its hiccups especially if I haven't turned the screen on in awhile and opened a couple apps, but handles MUCH better than my Droid 1 ever did. It's blazing fast to me, which is still the reason why I haven't flashed it with any other ROMs yet.

The battery on this thing is well known for it's horrible battery life, but it's taught me knew habits. Many would choose the X against the Incredible, mainly due to battery life, but I am personally not a fan of Motoblur. I loved the lightness and the size of the Incredible compared to the X and the Fascinate.

With "medium" use from my Incredible, I can make the battery last all day and by the time I go to bed, I'm at roughly 50-60%. It was tough to get used to at first (mainly not checking my phone every 5 minutes), but it's taught me better habits when it comes to phone use. It's a great phone overall, and I hate to say it, but I really do enjoy it more than I did my Droid.

OP
M

Mr. Meatball

Reaction score
Bodybagz: I got the phone about a week ago not even and the Verizon Store Rep told my mom and I that we have 30 days to switch phones if we are unhappy, so it would be before that article is posted. And my battery has improved since I got it, its lasted me a day now but it still is a little weird at times. And I've pretty much done everything that needed to be done, edited the display settings, turned off background data, force stop apps that shouldnt be running, etc etc. But its not so much the battery that's a nuisance, its more of the size. Don't get me wrong this is an amazing phone, but its just a little too big to be carrying around.

Dezymond: I was siding more with the Incredible than I was anything else. And yeah that's what I heard it has its hiccups of lag. But as far as the battery goes, would an extended battery solve that issue or would I just have to learn how to limit myself and learn how to work with it. I'd say it would have medium to high amount of usage by me..

harrellj

Reaction score
One thing, the Ally is still Eclair (aka 2.1). There's also no hints on when it'll get Froyo (2.2) let alone Gingerbread (2.3).

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And overall I like the phone, but it's just too big and the battery is always an issue. (And I've read up on everything there is to do about the battery to help extend it and everything so don't need to go there). I'm still in that 30 day return area and I was wondering what would be a good Android phone to switch to. One that has a fairly decent battery life
You can't count on a device (or app or any quick fix) to resolve battery life concerns.

You need to assess your particular usage and address the battery hogs.