phone going crazy, can anyone help?

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok, so my phone started going crazy yesterday. It doesn't respond to my touch most the time and it opens and presses things on its own. it pulls down the status bar and goes to screen previews for the home screens. In order to get it to respond to me again I usually need to turn the screen off and then when I turn it back on I can get a couple presses in before it starts doing that again. if I am in a list it will continually scroll up and down, usually at a fast rate. It didn't get to that instantly, my phone was acting up all day yesterday and got progressively worse. I tried wiping data/cache, but that didnt seem to work. I tried changing kernals from slayher 1.1ghz to 800mhz and that didnt help.

can anyone help me fix this?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you been using the OEM charger because I had the same experience using an EVO charger and it stopped when I went back to OEM

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Have you been using the OEM charger because I had the same experience using an EVO charger and it stopped when I went back to OEM

Im using the charger that came with my phone, except for the car charger, which is made by a different company. but I seem to be getting the same results regardless which charger I used or even when I am not charging the phone

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you do anything new yesterday, like flash a new ROM or kernel or have you had your set-up for awhile and it just started doing this out of the blue ?

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Did you do anything new yesterday, like flash a new ROM or kernel or have you had your set-up for awhile and it just started doing this out of the blue ?

Ive been using cm6.1 rc3 since it was released. I switched to chevys kernal 3 days ago, but went back to a slayher later that day because it didnt seem to work with CM as well. but besides that nothing has changed except for installing app updates from the market

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you went back to Slahyer's kernel and everything was smooth for two days and all of a sudden this -

That is odd and I don't really see a Market update having this kind of effect on a device - out of curiosity, what apps have you updated in the past few days ?

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So you went back to Slahyer's kernel and everything was smooth for two days and all of a sudden this -

That is odd and I don't really see a Market update having this kind of effect on a device - out of curiosity, what apps have you updated in the past few days ?

lol, I dont remember and I am not sure if i updated these before or after I tried the new kernal, but the ones i do remember recently updating are rom manager, audio manager, tv show favs, desktop visualization, and some others.

if for some reason something happened when i tried out the new kernal, would there be anything i can do to fix it? even though a problem didn't show up for a couple days it would be something to try. although, I did changed kernals to an 800mhz one after it started doing that and it didnt help as well as a data/cache wipe.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you haven't done any extensive theming in your ROM and have already wiped Data/Cache you might consider reflashing the ROM - probably not the answer anyone wants to hear but this issue is unusual just out of nowhere

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you haven't done any extensive theming in your ROM and have already wiped Data/Cache you might consider reflashing the ROM - probably not the answer anyone wants to hear but this issue is unusual just out of nowhere

i guess ill try reflashing again and if that doesnt work go back to unrooted stock to see if that fixes anything. I wont be able to try this for another 9 hours or so (just got to work :( ). thanks for your help though

anyone know a better solution before I try this again?

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Ok, so my phone started going crazy yesterday. It doesn't respond to my touch most the time and it opens and presses things on its own. it pulls down the status bar and goes to screen previews for the home screens. In order to get it to respond to me again I usually need to turn the screen off and then when I turn it back on I can get a couple presses in before it starts doing that again. if I am in a list it will continually scroll up and down, usually at a fast rate. It didn't get to that instantly, my phone was acting up all day yesterday and got progressively worse. I tried wiping data/cache, but that didnt seem to work. I tried changing kernals from slayher 1.1ghz to 800mhz and that didnt help.

Does it do any of that when it is not plugged in? It's annoying, but if you use a cable or charger that is not the one motorola supplied, you get that "wonky touchscreen" effect. Search for phrases like "my phone is haunted", "I think I have a virus", or "my phone keeps texting my boss" to see other people with a similar issue.

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Does it do any of that when it is not plugged in? It's annoying, but if you use a cable or charger that is not the one motorola supplied, you get that "wonky touchscreen" effect. Search for phrases like "my phone is haunted", "I think I have a virus", or "my phone keeps texting my boss" to see other people with a similar issue.

unfortunately it still does it when its not plugged in or plugged into the Motorola charger. I did do a google search on it and saw other people having the same issue, but didnt see any posted solution, besides use a oem charger or just wait for it to stop. I was hoping someone here had a fix for it

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Some things that have helped me with that issue.

1) reboot. Don't yell, it's fixed it.

2) clean the heck out of the screen with some glass cleaner. This has always had some positive effect.

3) do a prox-sensor reset. Power the phone down, pulling the battery if you have to. Put your finger across the top of the screen, covering the speaker cutout. Power phone on, keeping finger on the phone in that position.

Numbers 2 and 3 are most likely to have any effect, of course, but sometimes just a good reboot helps. If the issue persists try making a backup and flashing a rooted stock ROM on. If that fixes it you may want to do a clean install of a CM nightly build and see if the problem still is gone. If the stock rooted option doesn't you have an issue that will require either a hardware reset or a new phone to solve.

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for trying to help.

Nothing work though, I even went back to a unrooted stock android and it still is going crazy, Ill keep the unrooted android for now, just incase i need it for verizon to fix it or replace it. I guess I might need that warranty after all (if it hasn't expired yet), good thing I never voided it.... :)

OP
M

mojo_droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
One year on hardware. If you got it on release date you're over, but if you weren't an early adopter you still have some leeway. :)

just talked to verizon and my warranty expires in 10 days, so its a good thing it decided to go bad now instead of the end of the month :)

they're sending me a replacement phone, supposedly another droid, but I have heard that they send droid 2's as replacements instead so I guess Ill just have to wait and see what they send.

Last edited: